Esaan Falang Double Pricing

bellagrego

You have all heard the horror stories and complaints associated with that dual pricing in Thailand. You know, the one that says you get screwed if you are white, falang, or anyone other than Thai. How is this for a twist. I won't name the town for fear of a stampede or reprisals.

I needed my Thai drivers license renewed and my Thai wife needed her first lisence for a motobike. She went to a local clinic alone and received the documentation of her good heath as required. She was not examined. The fee charged was 200 baht. A goodly sum for Esaan, but no surprise.

The next day I went there. It was crowded and hot so I passed on it till later. Two days later the same thing so I sought anoher clinic. I found one a few blocks away that had but one other customer. I filled out the questionaire. Waited for ten minutes and then the nurse took me to see the doctor. He checked my blood pressure, my pulse, and my heart and lungs. He said you are Ok and signed the document. The check bin was prepared and submitted to me for payment. The charges, the entire charges, everything was a whopping 15 baht, that's right FIFTEEN BAHT.

So you see, sometimes honesty prevails and the good people of Esaan mistreat their own and conversely give a falang a break.

bella

You have all heard the horror stories and complaints associated with that dual pricing in Thailand. You know, the one that says you get screwed if you are white, falang, or anyone other than Thai. How is this for a twist. I won't name the town for fear of a stampede or reprisals.

I needed my Thai drivers license renewed and my Thai wife needed her first lisence for a motobike. She went to a local clinic alone and received the documentation of her good heath as required. She was not examined. The fee charged was 200 baht. A goodly sum for Esaan, but no surprise.

The next day I went there. It was crowded and hot so I passed on it till later. Two days later the same thing so I sought anoher clinic. I found one a few blocks away that had but one other customer. I filled out the questionaire. Waited for ten minutes and then the nurse took me to see the doctor. He checked my blood pressure, my pulse, and my heart and lungs. He said you are Ok and signed the document. The check bin was prepared and submitted to me for payment. The charges, the entire charges, everything was a whopping 15 baht, that's right FIFTEEN BAHT.

So you see, sometimes honesty prevails and the good people of Esaan mistreat their own and conversely give a falang a break.

bella

Think your misses was stitched up!! Going rate for self plus boss lady in Satuk 40 baht each for last few years ..............think it depends on the clinic.

Well now you know who to avoid! :)

TBWG :D

bellagrego.

wow you had a bargain there!

i went to a thai only hospital in chiang mai for my 5 year licence medical a year ago and the doc charged me 105 baht

he checked to see if i had a pulse ... if im still alive ? ? ? ..... and signed the form .

lucky you

party time on the 90 baht you saved .... dave2 : )

bella

:D okay, I have paid close BKK 120 Bath for blood presure and a 15 min talk with the doctor. He handed me the the attest to get driver license.

What we discuss here ..... 20 Bath or 200 Bath, as maybe between veterinary and human doctor? Non joke, this isn't a amount for any Farang to be discussed, finaly you get a paper, stamp and signature too. We should be honest here in our guest country and "live and let live" ... ! we shouldn't use and feel be screwed at such amount. If it concern large summe, certain many try screw farangs but it is up to you to buy or take the right way to do it. Okay let it be 1 or 3 dollar and get angry if you pay 100 or 300 or more!!! :) thank you

bella

Makes you wonder why they are so busy in their then?

Normal price in a private doctors office is 50 bth.But what do you mean with esaan?The name is Isaan.

Wikipedia: Isan (Isan/Thai: อีสาน; also written as Isaan, Isarn, Issan, or Esarn) is the northeast region of Thailand. :)

---------------------------------------------------

Forget it, dont look at Wikipedia. All these different spellings is only proof of how many people there are that cannot spell at all, both falang and Thai.

We know that isaan, pronounces isaan, and therefore spelled isaan.

Me myself living in Chaiyaphum was for 3 weeks ago at Ram Hospital, they checked bloddpressure, eyesight, ability to see colours etc etc, and I payed 100 baht exactly!!

The threadstarter claimed he got a great deal compared to Thai people. but not all together true. He changed clinic, and maybe that clinic is FREE for Thai people..... Than he suddenly loses 15 baht......

Anyhow isaan is full of double pricing, and in spite that there now is many romours that this shall stop. I do not think so... it will take many many years before they will end that!!

Glegolo

Just leave Iassen and get a decent life elsewhere.

I'm going to have to bite here.

I currently live in Bangkok but resided in Isaan for over five years. My job is in Bangkok, so have had to move. In the past I've lived in Surat Thani, Surin, Nakhon Rachtisima, Chaing Mai, and now Bangkok. Bangkok is a great place to live, but the people of Isaan are so much more friendly than any other area in the Kingdom of Thailand. It only takes a small understanding of the language to converse and enjoy company with the Isaan folk.

As for the medical note. I used to pay 20 baht at the local clinic in Prasat whilst living there.

A number of posts have been deleted, including posts with quotes of the deleted posts.

Extremely negative comments about Thai people are not tolerated. Just a reminder Issarn people, however you chose to spell it, are Thai people.

Flaming is also against the rules of the forum.

Further infractions will earn posters a holiday from the forum.

I have a Dell 640m laptop. My keyboard failed and i needed to replace it.After being given the run around for half a day.I ended up at the Complex in Udon.

Second floor computer repair shop.previous quotes ranged from Baht 1000-1700.

I spoke to a Thai chap whose English was good enough to communicate my needs.Price Baht 900......delivery one week.

When i went back,he fitted the new keyboard.Gave me a refund of 400 baht,said to me,got one on special......chok dee krap.

I will be back,great experience!!!!

A number of posts have been deleted, including posts with quotes of the deleted posts.

Extremely negative comments about Thai people are not tolerated. Just a reminder Issarn people, however you chose to spell it, are Thai people.

Flaming is also against the rules of the forum.

Further infractions will earn posters a holiday from the forum.

I know we are not supposed to make comments about moderation; but would you make an exception if I said "well done"?

Cheers,

Mike

I have a Dell 640m laptop. My keyboard failed and i needed to replace it.After being given the run around for half a day.I ended up at the Complex in Udon.

I spoke to a Thai chap whose English was good enough to communicate my needs.Price Baht 900......delivery one week.

When i went back,he fitted the new keyboard.Gave me a refund of 400 baht,said to me,got one on special......chok dee krap.

This is nice to hear. He took what he felt was the right amount to cover his parts expenses and profit for himself, giving change. He has certainly gained a repeat customer, assuming your computer breaksdown again, and no doubt you will tell your friends so free advertising or extremely cheap word of mouth advertising. His business should grow and I hope it does. Why do so few see the long term benefits of good service, fair prices and return visits as opposed to turning a quick buck.

As to the clinic thingy, different clinics charge different prices. The OP did not get a farang rate. He just paid less than his wife because he went to a cheaper clinic. If she went to the same clinic as him, she would have been charged the same as him, or perhaps even less. :)

Sorry to change the topic slightly. I bought a dvd player for the inside of my car. Within the guarantee period a part disintergated. The shop owner refused to honour the guarentee as he wouldn't be making anything out of doing the repair. I refused to leave his shop until he did something. He then back tracked and removed the dvd. 3 weeks later we get a call to say the dvd had been repaired, but we were told that the part that was changed wasn't covered by the warrenty. So he wants 750 Baht. No money, no dvd.

Sorry to say but in my years of living in Isaan I can't speak good of the people. I can honestly say that behind every forced smile is a scam waiting to take place.

---------------------------------------------------

Forget it, dont look at Wikipedia. All these different spellings is only proof of how many people there are that cannot spell at all, both falang and Thai.

We know that isaan, pronounces isaan, and therefore spelled isaan.

Me myself living in Chaiyaphum was for 3 weeks ago at Ram Hospital, they checked bloddpressure, eyesight, ability to see colours etc etc, and I payed 100 baht exactly!!

The threadstarter claimed he got a great deal compared to Thai people. but not all together true. He changed clinic, and maybe that clinic is FREE for Thai people..... Than he suddenly loses 15 baht......

Anyhow isaan is full of double pricing, and in spite that there now is many romours that this shall stop. I do not think so... it will take many many years before they will end that!!

Glegolo

Good effort Glegalo. A firm statement followed up with at least 10 spelling or grammatical errors :)

Coventry's post falls into the "turning a quick buck" bracket. In all my years in Thailand I have had both good and bad experiences in most regions of the country. I just do not think it fair to paint everyone with the same brush. Having said that, you are obviously talking from your own experience.

Edited by GarryP

re prices for a medical certificate,it all depends where you end up going(luck of the draw) and OP's lady just got unlucky and the OP got lucky.Personally i think Isaan is a great area of thailand,yes,people very friendly with a simple way of life.If it was n't for need to be surrounded by water i could choose to live there.

Good effort Glegalo. A firm statement followed up with at least 10 spelling or grammatical errors :)

'Chaimai', I think you're being a little harsh on someone who, obviously, English isn't their first language. Shame on you.

Only joking. I've been wanting to say that about many English speakers/writers on 'Thai Visa' over the years. 'Glegalo' we know what you mean.

bella

'Bellagrego' Your wife is the only one that has has been charged the highest fee. She's Thai, therefore she should have paid the lower fee. Now don't take me wrong, as it's only a small amount, but in your opening statement you say "You've heard of all the horror stories". Yes I have ie, where the wife tells the farang a price that's well inflated but keeps the difference. Do you see where I'm coming from ? Sorry but I don't buy the story that is being told.

Good effort Glegalo. A firm statement followed up with at least 10 spelling or grammatical errors :D

'Chaimai', I think you're being a little harsh on someone who, obviously, English isn't their first language. Shame on you.

Only joking. I've been wanting to say that about many English speakers/writers on 'Thai Visa' over the years. 'Glegalo' we know what you mean.

Fair comment. I shall also have to make sure I use the spell-checker on all my future posts - I would hate to make a complete pratt of myself :D

Oh Bugger ! I used the computer while the missus was logged in. What a pratt ! :)

Regards Chaimai

Edited by CoffeeCorner

Normal price in a private doctors office is 50 bth.But what do you mean with esaan?The name is Isaan.

Issan, according to who ? You ? or some other Thai guy with a PHD in English. Try a phonetic pronunciation and spell from that as I have and you will come to the same conclusion. I will make my own spellings of these arbitrary words and you and all others casn do the same. My thirty-five years teaching English quakifies me to do that.

Issan, according to who ? You ? or some other Thai guy with a PHD in English. Try a phonetic pronunciation and spell from that as I have and you will come to the same conclusion. I will make my own spellings of these arbitrary words and you and all others casn do the same. My thirty-five years teaching English quakifies me to do that.