Ministry Targets 'harmful' Trendy Coloured Teeth Braces

webfact

Ministry targets 'harmful' trendy coloured teeth braces

By Duangkamon Sajirawattanakul

The Nation

Published on September 18, 2009

In a crackdown on illegal coloured teeth braces, the Public Health Ministry yesterday raided a shop providing the trendy but unauthorised orthodontic procedures in the J Venue Nawanakhon Shopping Mall in Pathum Thani.

At the same time it has asked Education Ministry teachers nationwide to check for schoolchildren wearing the braces to find out if they had been fitted illegally. If so, they should be removed within 30 days.

Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodee yesterday led police and officials to the Oi Fashion Orthodonic shop to seize 10 orthodontic items and arrest unauthorised practitioner Weerasak Thiengtae, 24, and shop cashier Namoi Thongpron, 34.

Manit said providing unauthorised orthodontic procedures like the trendy braces violated acts that prohibit - giving treatment without a proper degree, which can carry a threeyear jail term or Bt30,000 fine; opening unauthorised medical facilities, a threeyear jail term or Bt60,000 fine; and the unauthorised sale of dental braces, a possible sixmonth jail term and/or Bt50,000 fine.

Weerasak said he had not opened the shop after news broke of the crackdown on trendy orthodontic procedures until yesterday, when a customer made an appointment to have the braces removed. He said he had prepared to pack up and change the premises into a flower shop. He said that he bought the dental supplies from a shop in the Yaowarat area.

Manit said the trend for coloured braces, popular among teenagers due to their cheap price and easy access to unauthorised shops, was useless and harmful to health.

He said he would ask the Education Ministry to notify teachers nationwide to check on students. If found wearing coloured braces, they must provide a certificate issued by their orthodontists, he said.

Manit said he would also ask the Dental Council to have dentists issue certificates to student patients. If students wearing braces could not provide a certificate, parents would be asked to have the braces removed within 30 days for the students' safety.

Provincial public health offices were instructed to check for practitioners providing unauthorised trendy orthodontic procedures in their jurisdiction and file charges against the shops and their suppliers - if they also operated illegally, Manit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/18

By Duangkamon Sajirawattanakul

The Nation's headline is poorly written, in my opinion.

When I read it, I thought they were targeting the braces themselves... which in my opinion misses the point:

Unnecessary cosmetic procedures and fashion trends have been with us for a while, and they're here to stay.

Yeah, that's sad, but it's not the real issue here. Think about it -- tattoos and even pierced ears (or other body parts) fit the same trend. Braces on straight teeth aren't any more inherently evil.

The major issue here is the unlicensed practitioner who installed the braces... reminds me of a guy (unlicensed in the USA, former doctor from South America) doing liposuction from his house in Florida a few years back. He was jailed when one of his patients died. Will Thailand jail the unlicensed practitioner? Will that deter others from doing the same thing (or will they realize that Thailand is too busy with airport and school uniform crackdowns and becoming the education hub to stop them)?

A secondary issue -- in my opinion -- is the hospital's questionable treatment. However, being Thailand, that (the doctor's treatment) will never come under scrutiny. After all, he wouldn't be a doctor if he didn't have the right parents, so how could he have screwed up, given his lineage?

But indeed, they're going after the unlicensed practitioners, not the procedure. Bravo to the bureaucrats, they finally got one right.

Edited by ajc1970

I think it should all come down to better control and guidance by parents , but then again , that would be determinant on intelligence quota and actual concern for ones offspring , mmmm . ah well , just my two cents of off the cuff thinking , not too bright thinking ALL parents have concern.

At the same time it has asked Education Ministry teachers nationwide to check for schoolchildren wearing the braces to find out if they had been fitted illegally. If so, they should be removed within 30 days.

So how will they achieve this, by forcing the children who have them fitted to go to a reputable dentist? And will this be at gunpoint and who will pay for it?

Brigante7.

Edited by Brigante7

I believe someone recently died from an infection because they had one of these [illegal] orthodontists fit their braces for them...

You can never question why teenagers follow absurd trends; fashion is 'subjective' in a way... all over the world. But due to the considerably wide wealth gap in Thailand, those going to these illegal clinics will most likely be from the lower rim of the economic spectrum and therefore lack health related knowledge from school and home. Therefore, the cheaper prices being offered by these con artists are probably an attraction for these kids who would otherwise not be able to afford the usual expensive (for the right reasons) orthodontic fees as well.

Why aren't the parents being held accountable for what their children are doing? They must know their kids are getting these things implanted because either way it costs money.

I think they are in the sense that their kids might end up dead...

...but the issue at hand is that I, as a parent, cannot know if the novelty braces was done by a professional or a complete hack. As both can fit them, while one might use sub-standard materials and tools to do it. And therefor endanger the child's/teenager's/person's life.

I'm all for the freedom to put stupid things in your mouth.

I am however against hacks claiming that their things or as equally good as more expensive ones while they are not.

'Information needs to be free' is our long lived hacker-slogan, but it also is true when it comes to consumer protection. No consumer is more protected as a well-informed consumer.

...but the issue at hand is that I, as a parent, cannot know if the novelty braces was done by a professional or a complete hack.

<snip>

So you don't know or aren't involved in your children's choice of dentist? :)

...but the issue at hand is that I, as a parent, cannot know if the novelty braces was done by a professional or a complete hack.

<snip>

So you don't know or aren't involved in your children's choice of dentist? :)

Take a look at my avatar, he doesn't need braces yet. And most kids that get them seem to be 16+...up to 30.