Movies Based In Thailand

thaiaan

Recently, the last scenes of Alexandra the Great were filmed in issan on the laos border.

I forgot about that one. I had dinner with an Irish guy who was playing a leading role, if not the main one. He also said that he had been in 'Bend it like Beckham', and 'Velvet Goldmine'. He was a really nice, genuine guy. I did a search on my computer and found out that this guy, Johnny, had heaps of fan clubs and was voted by one magazine as in the top 10 sexiest men in the world. Told a few funny stories about Oliver Stone, and one amazing drunken story about his exploits with Ewan McGregor one night, which I don't think I can write about here. I wish I had taken some photos, as he is seemingly going to be the next Tom Cruise!

The guy who plays the lead is an Irish fellow, I think? I'll try and remember his name, a fairly new guy in town, bit of a hellraiser, got himself pretty battered throughout filming.

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-03-20 17:15:55)

Recently, the last scenes of Alexandra the Great were filmed in issan on the laos border.

I forgot about that one. I had dinner with an Irish guy who was playing a leading role, if not the main one. He also said that he had been in 'Bend it like Beckham', and 'Velvet Goldmine'. He was a really nice, genuine guy. I did a search on my computer and found out that this guy, Johnny, had heaps of fan clubs and was voted by one magazine as in the top 10 sexiest men in the world. Told a few funny stories about Oliver Stone, and one amazing drunken story about his exploits with Ewan McGregor one night, which I don't think I can write about here. I wish I had taken some photos, as he is seemingly going to be the next Tom Cruise!

The guy who plays the lead is an Irish fellow, I think? I'll try and remember his name, a fairly new guy in town, bit of a hellraiser, got himself pretty battered throughout filming.

His name is Jonathon Rhyss Meyers, and a bit of a ######-raiser is putting it mildly!

You're probably thinking of 'Brokedown Palace.' I thought it was dim-witted melodrama for the Lou Diamond Phillips teeny bopper types, but hey, each to his own.

Between my Ingmar Bergman film festivals and Martin Scorsese marathons I need some lighter stuff.

You bring up an interesting point though and perhaps the catalyst for a new topic.

What is our fascination with Thailand?

Some footage was filmed pat pong march 2004 for the big blockbuster ,Bridget Jones the edge of reason.Has a totally unrealistic chapter in a Thai woman's prison ,they all sound so fake ,it's quite funny if you know Thailand . :o

Some footage was filmed pat pong march 2004 for the big blockbuster ,Bridget Jones the edge of reason.Has a totally unrealistic chapter in a Thai woman's prison ,they all sound so fake ,it's quite funny if you know Thailand .  :o

My Thai shop assistant in Ramsgate was an extra in BJ2. She went to London with 50 other Thai girls from around the country.

Casualties of War with Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox was filmed in Phang-Nga.

Michael J. Fox was great, Sean Penn was a pretentious prick (I was an extra).

Wow! I love that film and have seen it many times on UBC. Was your part memorable? If you described it, would I remember it... like "I was the twenty-seventh trooper in the scene where Fox gets away from Sean Penn and re-joins the main group"... :o

Or... "I was the guy reading the paper in the train behind the girl who forgets her scarf... "

Come on, spill the beans! :D

Wow! I love that film and have seen it many times on UBC. Was your part memorable? If you described it, would I remember it... like "I was the twenty-seventh trooper in the scene where Fox gets away from Sean Penn and re-joins the main group"... :o 

Or...  "I was the guy reading the paper in the train behind the girl who forgets her scarf... "

I was one of the guys who walked into the village after the "patrol" had been out all night. Think I ended up on the cutting room floor.

Or...  "I was the guy reading the paper in the train behind the girl who forgets her scarf... "

Think I ended up on the cutting room floor.

With one of the girls?

Strangely coincidental article in this week's Phuket Gazette:

Tax breaks urged for movie makers

NAI YANG: Reducing taxation and slashing red tape could help revitalise the post-tsunami film industry in Phuket and surrounding provinces, a seminar heard yesterday.

Delegates to the meeting, organised by the Office of Tourism Development and the Thai Film Office, were told that scenes for 441 foreign films were shot in Thailand in 2004, generating revenue of around 1.13 billion baht for the country.

Phuket was the fourth most popular location for foreign film producers, after Bangkok, Chon Buri and Chiang Mai, and in past years Phuket, Phang Nga and Krabi together usually attracted about 100 film crews each year.

But this year, Thailand is likely to make only 10% of what it had made last year from location shooting of foreign-made films.

Thanitta Maneechote, Deputy Director-General of the Office of Tourism Development, said that, this year, seven producers in January and six in February had asked for permission to film in the Andaman region, but most of these projects were documentaries or advertisements. No one had asked for permission to film a big-budget feature film in Thailand.

K. Thanitta suggested that making it easier and cheaper for foreign producers to work in Thailand might persuade them to return.

She said, “Last year, we were approached by Hollywood movie companies wanting to shoot two films – Anaconda 2 and Ghost Rider – in Thailand, but the crews ended up going to Fiji and Australia respectively because those countries had reduced taxes on film making, and took only one or two days to decide whether or not the crews could shoot scenes in conservation areas and the like.”

She added that the movie The Beach had brought “a vast amount of money” to Krabi, where it was shot, not only directly in terms of what the film crew had spent on accommodation, food and other services, but also indirectly, because of tourists who visited Krabi after seeing the film...

Brought to you by: The Phuket Gazette

12:28 local time (GMT +7)

Van Damme supposedly makes a lot of films here in Thailand. "Kickboxer" was mentioned. How about "Bloodsport"? Does anyone know if that one was filmed here? I saw it on sale for 24 baht (no joke!) at Big C. I had never seen it so I figured why not. The acting was so corny it was torturing! Some of the moves in the fight scenes took forever to be executed. I can see why Big C wanted only 24 baht for it! :o