Reminder To Members Running Older Winxp Versions

waldwolf

A reminder.......

Back in August 2004, when Microsoft released the WindowsXP Service Patch 2 (SP2), they allowed WindowsXP users to "disable" the automatic update feature for 8 months.

Well......that 8 month grace period ends April 12, 2004, and WindowsXP SP2 will then be "delivered" to all Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1 systems, like it or not. (Details here)

If you have not updated to SP2 as yet, Microsoft has a free utility, ACT4 (Application Compatibility Toolkit v4.0) you may download, which will check your installation, settings and applications for compatability with SP2. (Details and download link here)

good luck :o

Edited by waldwolf

Back in August 2004, when Microsoft released the WindowsXP Service Patch 2 (SP2), they allowed WindowsXP users
:o:D

I'm not using XP - I just love my old W2K installation, and never liked XP always trying to do things for me without my asking. But anyway - surely you can disable the update function in Control Panel/admin/services. (If you are not pretty good with computers don't go fiddling in the services area.....you'll screw up your entire installation) Then you can stay with Service Pack 1 or whatever...

waldwolf , i run xp pro on a laptop and i never upgraded to sp2 , ive got zonealarm ,adaware, spybot etc and am happy with things the way they are.

however maybe the time has now come to upgrade to sp2 , but i am reluctant to mess about with my computer too much , it works fine all the time and i dont need any headaches , but want to know if that act4 utility will work on my system or is it only for networks etc.

will it automatically set my system up to accept sp2 without any conflicts ?

the download site doesnt explain thing too well.

do you know if sp2 been upgraded since release , i have sp2 on a cd from a magazine dated last september , and would rather use that than download via a koh samui dial up .

thanks for any answers.

Interesting;

I upgraded my machine to SP2 after getting some annoying errors. I must say for the general day-to-day its seems better. I don't think it eats up too much more CPU and Memory.

I ordered some machines pretty much the same specification as mine and the "retailer" told me how bad SP2 was and the terrible things it does. It was silly how much he put down SP@, nearly to the point where my Buffalo would die if I installed SP2.

So I took the machines, had the same network problems as before, ran the upgrade disk.

I agree though, it is annoying that XP Does things you may not want or need.

The Buffalo is still fine.

For those of you who are concerned about this it might be worth noting that this only applies to those who are running Auto-update and have previously downloaded and applied the patch from Microsoft. This will not effect people who are using manual updates.

To check if you have the patch you need to go into your registry (Click "Start",Click "Run", Type "regedit") and look for the following:

Q. What registry key is being used for this purpose?

A. HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate (Note.HKLM =HKey_Local_Machine)

Q. What is the key value name and what are the value options?

A. The key value name is "DoNotAllowXPSP2"

If you do not have this Registry Key and value then your system will run as before.

Right - so you can turn off the auto update feature in CONTROL PANAL/ADMIN/SERVICES But if you install any service pack or run windows repair from your CD the services will be reset and you will need to go back and disable them again.

however maybe the time has now come to upgrade to sp2 , but i am reluctant to mess about with my computer too much , it works fine all the time and i dont need any headaches

Taxexile - we have a saying in the North country - If it ain't bust, don't fix it.

There are several 'builds' of SP2 that vary quite a lot especially in dealing with external devices such as mobile phones and cameras. My mobile phone freak friend showed me that the SP2 I set up for him would not allow him to send little phone movies to his 100's of mobile phones. A later build solved this problem.

I once did a full patch (from the orignal XP) during the worm epidemic (RPC vulnerability). Loaded tons of "critical" updates, and applied them. I ended up uninstalling many of the updates, since some of them screwed up my computer big time.

I upgraded my computer hardware, and installed SP1 two years ago. I'm still running SP1 (no additional updates, auto-updating turned off) and I'm still happy with it.

I installed the SP 2 after I had problems with USB devices that Windows XP was supposed to be finding, and I got a new jukebox 'thingy'. I have had no problems since but, I was really sweating during installation and I backed up everything on to CD's.

I still run an old 98 desktop, which is on it's last legs and there are no updates from Microsoft, which I think is unfair because I bet there are millions still using it.

Anyone know any good 98 links to keep it running?

Wilson Steer.

Taxexile - we have a saying in the North country - If it ain't bust, don't fix it.

Problem with windows is that it is always bust. Just when they nearly fix it, they will bring out a new "busted" version.

Millions still using 98? I very much doubt that... no really, i do.

Using Win XP pro, SP2 here... works like a dream, never a problem...

I was a "Reluctant" 2k convert, but since i turned off the walt disney interface and returned to the "look and feel" of 2k i can say it was a good move on my part.

Oh well, good luck to all that get the patch on April 12th :o

i would think the windows 98 users might run in the millions, i know of four or five myself, people who bought computers in the late 90's during the boom, and are still quite happy with the computers, cause they mostly use them just too surf the web, maybe a little bookkeeping, etc. my laptop has win 98, works great.

taxexile

Q. "...but want to know if that act4 utility will work on my system or is it only for networks etc."

A. The ACT4 utility supports Windows XP, Windows XP Pro and Windows Server 2003.

Q. "...will it automatically set my system up to accept sp2 without any conflicts?"

A. No. It is only an advisory utility. It checks your system and looks for potential conflicts. They will then be listed so you may investigate, repair or remove them.

Q. "...do you know if sp2 been upgraded since release"

A. Microsoft has released a number of patches to repair "problems" associated with the installation of SP2. These patches are available for download via Windows Update (WU) or Automatic Update (UA). You can also order a copy of the SP2 CD (free-of-charge) direct from Microsoft here.

While it is possible to block WU and AU, it should be remembered the majority of "patches" released by Microsoft are to repair security holes in their software. The AU is beneficial to the average OS user, in that it automatically checks and installs patches you may have overlooked. One might equate this action to the automatic update feature many antivirus's use today.

===========

One note......while slimdog's description of the earlier Microsoft patch to turn-off Automatic Update (UA) is correct, it should be noted this registry entry is currently read whenever AU is running, however, come April 12th. that registry entry will not be checked, so it will no longer prevent AU (if activated) from updating the OS.

===========

TizMe - get ready........the "new "busted" version" of Windows is expected to be release late July. It's called Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. Want to try it now? You can check system requirements and download an evaluation copy here. (Its about a 575MB download. :o)

===========

wilson steer

Q. "Anyone know any good 98 links to keep it running?"

A. There are literally hundreds if not thousand of sites in this category. Here are a couple of links to check:

Microsoft Win98 Corporate

Microsoft MVP Group

===========

joka - Agree.....there are probably millions of Win98/98SE/ME users out there. Not everyone can afford the $100 (US) plus cost to upgrade every year or so. Like you, I also have several machines "purring" with Win98/98SE. (Now ME is a totally different matter, and one I wish to forget. :D )

cheers

:D

Edited by waldwolf

waldwolf , i run xp pro on a laptop and i never upgraded to sp2 , ive got zonealarm ,adaware, spybot etc and am happy with things the way they are.

however maybe the time has now come to upgrade to sp2 , but i am reluctant to mess about with my computer too much , it works fine all the time and i dont need any headaches , but want to know if  that act4 utility will work on my system or is it only for networks etc.

will it automatically set my system up to accept sp2 without any conflicts ?

the download site doesnt explain thing too well.

do you know if  sp2 been upgraded since release , i have sp2 on a cd from a magazine dated last september , and would rather use that than download via a koh samui dial up .

thanks for any answers.

Yes I feel te same way as you, happy with the same software

and I'm worried about ruining a good thing.

Let me know if you decide to upgrade

I installed SP2 some time ago and my Internet Explorer has not worked right since. I tried contacting MS tech help but they had no idea what to do about it. I have an HP laptop purchased here in CM and am not sure how to reinstall IE from the CD supplied with the computer without overwriting my whole XP Home edition.

Maybe I will try the new patch but am always nervous about downloading much of anything from MS...

Dustoff

"Millions still using 98? I very much doubt that... no really, i do"

It is very difficult to estimate true numbers of any operating system in use. The latest estimates (world wide) are that 4.5 -5.0 % of people are still using windows 98/98se. These are the figures released by google for Feb 2005 for what people were using at their site google.com

Microsoft estimates the figures in Asia are higher (about 10% in 2004).

thought the millenium bug was supposed to happen @ the end of 1999?  :D

That sure didn't turn out to be much, did it? :o

Even funnier was all the celebrations around the world for the new millenium on the wrong date. The end of the millenium did not happen until the end of the year 2000...