Nit Noi Thai

eggomaniac

It always gives me a chuckle when Posters who seem to know 15 to 20 Thai words have to astound everyone with their cultural diversity with a phrase or two. The ones who really are fluent in Thai also seem to be able to read English and follow the rules of the forum, English only.

Eggomaniac, mai bpen rai. Who cares? I suppose you never practiced your new-found phrases or tried to fit in with some group by picking up the lingua franca, fashionable words or jargon specific to that group?

I agree with Rionoir, it's sad if people can't master a few phrases after some time in Thailand. Are you one of those and are thus annoyed at not being able to understand?

I think it's more amazing that some people live in Thailand 10+ years and can't even say 10-15 phrases in Thai... LoL

Its crazy, but for old people i make an exception they don't learn as fast anymore.

Sorry? What? Where's the f*cking batteries gone fromn my hearing aid...

:)

Can anyone explain to me where this silent R comes from when people write Thai in phonetics? (lor - หรอ , ขอโทษ - khor thot , etc) Just curious - the phonetics I learned don't have any R sound, and I sure don't hear it in proper spoken Thai? Is it an isaan accent or something?

Can anyone explain to me where this silent R comes from when people write Thai in phonetics? (lor - หรอ , ขอโทษ - khor thot , etc) Just curious - the phonetics I learned don't have any R sound, and I sure don't hear it in proper spoken Thai? Is it an isaan accent or something?

I think it's to show the difference between the softer 'o' sound like in 'hot' and the harder sound like in 'go'.

Moved to the Thai language forum where some of you may actually learn a thing or two, like the Thai "ror" (ร) sound which is not an "L or lor" sound, however sometimes sounds like that to farangs who have not developed the hearing set required to listen to all the sounds of the Thai language.

Moved. :)

Moved to the Thai language forum where some of you may actually learn a thing or two, like the Thai "ror" (ร) sound which is not an "L or lor" sound, however sometimes sounds like that to farangs who have not developed the hearing set required to listen to all the sounds of the Thai language.

I think you misunderstood my question though, and I guess I gave a bad example there.  I know that ร if often pronounced as ล .. but here is my question: why do people write หรอ as "lor" instead of "law", since the latter seems more correct to me.

To be honest I can't remember how it was written in my book anymore, but I know it wasn't "lor" .. :D

Anyway, not a big deal... lol

I think it's more amazing that some people live in Thailand 10+ years and can't even say 10-15 phrases in Thai... LoL

any particular reason why they should learn 10-15 phrases (assuming they are not living somewhere in Thailand's wilderness)? :)

I think you misunderstood my question though, and I guess I gave a bad example there. I know that ร if often pronounced as ล .. but here is my question: why do people write หรอ as "lor" instead of "law", since the latter seems more correct to me.

To be honest I can't remember how it was written in my book anymore, but I know it wasn't "lor" .. :D

There's not really any answer for your question, other than that _or is what people have come to use for _อ in some transliteration systems. It's not going to work immediately for speakers of some English variants, but this is the case with every transliteration scheme for Thai. Perhaps there was an aussie influence in this instance: we pronounce 'for' as ฟอ, basically.

FWIW, the first transliteration system I learnt did use _aw. It also used 'b, bp, p' [บ ป พ], 'd, dt, t' [ด ต ท] & 'g, k' [ก, ค], which I still like. Don't think it ever attained much widespread usage, though.

Edited by aanon

but here is my question: why do people write หรอ as "lor" instead of "law", since the latter seems more correct to me.

I thought about this for a very long time as well.

Finally, I decided it was probably because the shape of the mouth and positioning of the tongue when pronouncing a word ending in -or or -ar is similar to a native's mouth and tongue when pronouncing Thai words with this ending sound.

I could be very wrong though. Just my guess as to why it is used by some writers.

I think you misunderstood my question though, and I guess I gave a bad example there. I know that ร if often pronounced as ล .. but here is my question: why do people write หรอ as "lor" instead of "law", since the latter seems more correct to me.

Not trying to be a 'smart-ass' but 'lor' possibly seems more correct to them. The sound you both make should be the same.

Edited by tgeezer

I think you misunderstood my question though, and I guess I gave a bad example there.  I know that ร if often pronounced as ล .. but here is my question: why do people write หรอ as "lor" instead of "law", since the latter seems more correct to me.

I think the or sound is British variation of how americans pronounce aw, try it. How will a Brit pronounce lor?, will sound like law.

I think the or sound is British variation of how americans pronounce aw, try it. How will a Brit pronounce lor?, will sound like law.

I'm not really sure where we're going with this (and I certainly have NO idea what the OP was beefing about), but as a Brit I'd just like to say the vowels in these words are all phonetically identical for us:

Law

Lore

Flaw

Floor

Draw

Door

To be honest I can't remember how it was written in my book anymore, but I know it wasn't "lor" .. :)

That is how I see it. Most transcription systems are written for the British (mis)pronunciation of English. :D

It always gives me a chuckle when Posters who seem to know 15 to 20 Thai words have to astound everyone with their cultural diversity with a phrase or two. The ones who really are fluent in Thai also seem to be able to read English and follow the rules of the forum, English only.

Even though this post has been moved from another TV forum...for the sake of clarity, the following is copied from the TV forum rules:

"English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course, using Thai is allowed."

Can anyone explain to me where this silent R comes from when people write Thai in phonetics? (lor - หรอ , ขอโทษ - khor thot , etc)

not sure if I understood your post correctly, but this is what I think you might be referring to?

the correct word is actually หรือ rather than หรอ (as in จริงหรือ = is that true, or ใช่หรือไม่ = yes or no). however as with a lot of words in Thai these days, the proper pronunciation has been abused, and in conversational Thai the word หรือ becomes หรอ

in terms of the phonetics, the word khor thot, 'khor' is written with r at the end, the same way you say the word 'or' in English...to indicate a longer 'o' sound. easier to explain in thai perhaps, and since you seem to know the language quite well: the vowel read as สระออ rather than สระโอ

There's not really any answer for your question, other than that _or is what people have come to use for _อ in some transliteration systems.

FWIW, the first transliteration system I learnt did use _aw. It also used 'b, bp, p' [บ ป พ], 'd, dt, t' [ด ต ท] & 'g, k' [ก, ค], which I still like. Don't think it ever attained much widespread usage, though.

with using 'g' as ก I suppose is the closest you can find, but of course the problem as Im sure you all know that in Thai there is not 'g' sound. be that the 'g' in gauge, or the g in George. (there is no 'j' equivalent either)

Are you suggesting someone should be punished if they write "khob khun krub" at the end of their post? Or what exactly was the point of that... LoL

The point I was trying, (none to well), to make, was that the OP was commenting on what he sees as the risible practice of putting Thai phrases in posts, where the poster has a very limited acquaintance with the Thai language. The posts he's referring to occur in TV forums other than the Thai Language Forum.

The OP was referring to the rule which states, "English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course, using Thai is allowed." It appears that the OP is amused by the inclusion of Thai language phrases in posts outside of the accepted venue for mixed language posts.

IE: The Thai Language Forum.

If the forum moderators wish to enforce the rule, shown above, then I guess they're acting in accordance with the TV Forum rules.

As for me, I have no opinion on the matter, and it does not bother me in the slightest to see Thai phrases, (either transliteration or native Thai script), in any post, on any forum within ThaiVisa.

The OP was referring to the rule which states, "English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course, using Thai is allowed." It appears that the OP is amused by the inclusion of Thai language phrases in posts outside of the accepted venue for mixed language posts.

IE: The Thai Language Forum.

If the forum moderators wish to enforce the rule, shown above, then I guess they're acting in accordance with the TV Forum rules.

I'm sure it's a practical rule - it's hard to moderate what you can't understand, and not all moderators can read Thai. Semantically motivated anglicisations of names get banned - I used to chuckle at the modifications of Thaksin and Chinnawat.

On the other hand, are not Thai inclusions a feature of the English of Thailand? I don't believe Latin phrases are prohibited.