Has Thailand Made Progress? Thaksin Taunts

webfact

Not so.

But you don't believe what has been seen so no point in listing the good.

And certainly not a god send, but the lesser of many evils in comparison.

A large section of the downward spiral was with PPP at the helm, they set the stage,

and compared to how badly they dropped tha ball things have improved.

The Dems got the helm JUST as the world economy tanked..

PPP or PTP would be totally out of it's depth dealing with it....

Well lets hope that this is the last "lesser of two evils" type of government with the 3rd and worst choice, hopefully not to be taken again, being a coup.

If the Dems would get on and run the country without having to pander to this and that, and they failed I would give them the benefit of the doubt since the world economy has tanked. Politics is never that simple, but they should get on with delivering a more effective policy and government than they are doing right now.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so.

A large section of the downward spiral was with PPP at the helm, they set the stage,

It doesn't matter what I believe. Go talk to any Thai (barring hardcore Democrat and Thaksin supporters), chances are they will express dissatisfaction towards the current government. In fact one of the things I here most often is that the government spends too much time pursuing Thaksin instead of governing.

As far economics is concerned, I don't blame the current state on the Thai economy on the Democrats. With the global recession, it was bound to happen regardless of whoever is in power.

"Has the economy improved? What about justice and human rights? And is there fair treatment for bureaucrats?" Thaksin asked.

I think perhaps more relevant to compare to pre 2001 prior to the TRT 'miracle'

When Thailand was in the upper section of the world for things like press freedom; prior to TRT completely distabilizing the south, prior to all these corruption cases currently being heard. But also prior to a 70%+ increase in the SET admittedly. How much of this was a reflection of a booming worldwide economy...tough to say - but we know we didn't do much to actually sort stuff out for weathering a storm, as we are finding out now.

You could argue that in the last 8 years, the Thai economy has simply cashed in the savings of the years from 1998-2001; run the rural poor into debt; set up huge subsidies/skim via things like the crop pledging and various low cost housing type schemes; signed a few FTAs and basically not actually encouraged much investment or deregulation in any of the meaningful areas required to create sustainable competitive advantage at a countrywide level.

education?

deregulation?

IT and telco infrastructure?

meaningful change to the energy markets and ability to deliver energy?

upskilling the workforce?

Not a whole lot done. And you cannot really claim, no matter how you like them, that the current lot have done much positive. I would further add that the groups prior have tinkered around the edges, but basically have done sweet FA in the last 8 years to improve and address the few things that a government should take responsibility for - infrastructure; transparency, stability and a fair playing field with investment into the economy which will upskill, maintain and increase longterm competitive advantage. Of course, one could also say that when you have a mandate from the electorate as the TRT govt had in 2004 so clear to get things done, it sure is a pity that instead the focus ends up being on things other than education and so forth.

Giving away free cows, encouraging overpriced rice and crop buying schemes, elite cards and film festivals aside; can we really claim that much has been done at any point to actually help the economy - certainly plenty done for certain areas to have a higher standard of living, but what is that based on? Genuine improvement, or giveaways?

It's a bit like the Man City thread. You cannot easily argue that ManCity were better or worse as a result of Thaksin's involvement. Too many variables.

But of the 3 years since the coup, 1 of them was under his watch; and it was arguably the worst of the 3. 2005 and 2006 under his watch nothing happened. He really only had a couple of years of success prior to the ill thought out oil subsidies and all these other stupid ideas that sadly, since his time now seem to be accepted as actually decent ideas by more than a few people, some of whom most definitely should know better.

Edited by steveromagnino

No one can deny Thailand has been in a downward spiral since the coup three years ago. What this country desperately needs is 'unity', but somehow I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Funny how some folks on here see the Democrat Party as being godsend. You really are blind aren't you? Perhaps being so anti-Thaksin has affected your better judgment. The Democrats are no better than Thaksin, if not worse. Like the previous Governments of Samak and Somchai, the Democrats haven't done diddly-squat since taking office. The only thing their capable of doing it seems, is the relentless pursuit of their political opponents; day in, day out. And to what end??

If the Democrats had any common sense, they'd focus their efforts on running the country. Let's face it: Thaksin is irrelevant; he's been shoved into a corner and has remained cornered for the past 3 years. Why not use this opportunity to impress those who have lost faith in your ability to govern? This country has plenty of problems waiting to be solved. The fact that the Democrats aren't doing their job, doesn't help improve ratings either. Keep this up, they can kiss their chances of being re-elected goodbye come next election.

You raise good points but why bother here, if the Burmese took over this mob would still scream it was better than Taksin as they were shoved to the exit gates.

The question was: "They accused me of not being loyal [to the monarchy], interfering in the media, the independent agencies and failing to solve problems in the three southern border provinces and causing national divisions. Today, are these problems getting solved and is there an improvement?"

The honest answer is no, nothing is being solved and nothing what so ever has improved, except maybe for the army budget. In fact the country is is a much worse condition and more divided, why lie about it and claim all is rosy? Really do need an "I hate Taksin" forum for this mob to vent their spleens daily rather than interject their inane propaganda fed BS into a news forum.

Thaksin has been trying to overthrow Thai state during all this time, and now he asks why there's not much progress - he's the main reason why.

It is all about money and controlling the Thailand Wealth and power. And Thaksin probably knows he has lost them and just too stupid to accept it

No, not stupid, the man is sick he is suffering from a "narcissistic personality disorder (NPD)" the good news is it can be treated, but for that he must accept the fact first.

I copied this before, excuses if you think I am boring.

Megalomania is an unrealistic belief in one's superiority, grandiose abilities, and even omnipotence. It is characterized by a need for total power and control over others, and is marked by a lack of empathy for anything that is perceived as not feeding the self. Although megalomania is a term often ascribed to anyone who is power-hungry, the clinical definition is that of a mental illness associated with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD).

Narcissism is most simply defined as self-love. Though it is considered healthy to care about your own well-being and have a healthy self-esteem, when someone loves himself to the exclusion of all else and others become objectified to be used only to serve the self, this is no longer considered healthy or normal.

There are different psychological theories about how and why NPD develops, most of which relate to the integration of different aspects of ego and self as a child, and the nature of the parental roles in that process. Regardless of theory, NPD is characterized by extremely low self-esteem, which is compensated for by delusions of grandeur and megalomania, a narcissistic neuroses. With the propensity to act only on behalf of one's self, the unbridled need to feed one's ego, and the objectification of others to serve the power-hungry needs of megalomania, it is easy to see how this can be a recipe for disaster, especially when wrapped in a charismatic personality.

Among dictators, fundamentalists, and politicians we find those who view themselves as morally superior with the willingness to sacrifice, kill, or risk the safety of others considered inferior in order to assert their own agendas. Though there are legitimate circumstances in which leaders must exercise civil or military force, or religious zealots can profess solemn beliefs, the line between religiosity and fanaticism, between duty and megalomania, can be a gray one. This is how the term has become part of our culture's vernacular.

Megalomania is also sometimes associated with bipolar disorder; a depressive illness that is characterized by mood swings from extreme lows to extreme highs. During the latter cycle, people often suffer delusions of grandeur and feelings of infinite capability. They talk about unrealistic plans and goals as if these plans and goals are within their grasp.

NPD, megalomania, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia can all be treated with medications. If you or someone you know is experiencing manic moods, unrealistic delusions or antisocial behavior, professional treatment is necessary. Unlike a virus or cold, these disorders will not improve without treatment.

Maybe all we have to do is advise him to seek medical help?

Edited by dre1247

Not so.

It doesn't matter what I believe. Go talk to any Thai (barring hardcore Democrat and Thaksin supporters), chances are they will express dissatisfaction towards the current government. In fact one of the things I here most often is that the government spends too much time pursuing Thaksin instead of governing.

As far economics is concerned, I don't blame the current state on the Thai economy on the Democrats. With the global recession, it was bound to happen regardless of whoever is in power.

In my opinion the govt doesn't spend enough time pursuing Thaksin. If they did, he would be extradited and in jail by now or dealt with in a Mossadian sense. Of course, the greatest mistake in recent history was letting the bugger slip out, in the naive belief he would lay low and accept his dubious place in history with a bit of dignity, instead of trying his damndest to split it and drag it down into the gutter.

One of the main reasons Thailand does find itself in its current unenviable predicament is entirely because of the greed for power and wealth of the subject of this thread, both before and after his fall from grace. And just for the record, Thailand's fundamental credentials in important aspects of a functioning democracy were as bad, if not a whole lot worse, when it was the personal fiefdom of Mr T.

As for your comment "go talk to any Thai...........", all I can report is that the Thais I know cannot stand the man and realise now they made a great mistake in ever giving him the benefit of the doubt in voting him in to power in 2001. He literally has tried to ruin Thailand to feather his own nest, which anyone with a sense of history can see as plain as the red shirts on his drones' backs.

all I can report is that the Thais I know cannot stand the man and realise now they made a great mistake in ever giving him the benefit of the doubt in voting him in to power in 2001.

Agree, the Silom S&M Dungeon is a true sample of what Thais really think. Told me I was handsome too. By the way has your new member card arrived yet, mine seems late?

Thaksin has been trying to overthrow Thai state during all this time, and now he asks why there's not much progress - he's the main reason why.

It is all about money and controlling the Thailand Wealth and power. And Thaksin probably knows he has lost them and just too stupid to accept it

No, not stupid, the man is sick he is suffering from a "narcissistic personality disorder (NPD)" the good news is it can be treated, but for that he must accept the fact first.

Megalomania is an unrealistic belief in one's superiority, grandiose abilities, and even omnipotence. It is characterized by a need for total power and control over others, and is marked by a lack of empathy for anything that is perceived as not feeding the self. Although megalomania is a term often ascribed to anyone who is power-hungry, the clinical definition is that of a mental illness associated with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD).

Narcissism is most simply defined as self-love. Though it is considered healthy to care about your own well-being and have a healthy self-esteem, when someone loves himself to the exclusion of all else and others become objectified to be used only to serve the self, this is no longer considered healthy or normal.

There are different psychological theories about how and why NPD develops, most of which relate to the integration of different aspects of ego and self as a child, and the nature of the parental roles in that process. Regardless of theory, NPD is characterized by extremely low self-esteem, which is compensated for by delusions of grandeur and megalomania, a narcissistic neuroses. With the propensity to act only on behalf of one's self, the unbridled need to feed one's ego, and the objectification of others to serve the power-hungry needs of megalomania, it is easy to see how this can be a recipe for disaster, especially when wrapped in a charismatic personality.

Among dictators, fundamentalists, and politicians we find those who view themselves as morally superior with the willingness to sacrifice, kill, or risk the safety of others considered inferior in order to assert their own agendas. Though there are legitimate circumstances in which leaders must exercise civil or military force, or religious zealots can profess solemn beliefs, the line between religiosity and fanaticism, between duty and megalomania, can be a gray one. This is how the term has become part of our culture's vernacular.

Megalomania is also sometimes associated with bipolar disorder; a depressive illness that is characterized by mood swings from extreme lows to extreme highs. During the latter cycle, people often suffer delusions of grandeur and feelings of infinite capability. They talk about unrealistic plans and goals as if these plans and goals are within their grasp.

NPD, megalomania, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia can all be treated with medications. If you or someone you know is experiencing manic moods, unrealistic delusions or antisocial behavior, professional treatment is necessary. Unlike a virus or cold, these disorders will not improve without treatment.

Megalomania?! ROFLMAO! Man, this is getting better by the minute.

Everyone has an 'agenda', whether it be goals or personal aspirations. I don't know what Thaksin's true intentions are or why he does what he does, but it's got to be something other than a case of megalomania...

It's a perfectly reasonable question really..!! Where is Thailand now..??

Agreed, when he was in power the economy was good and Thailand was ticking along quite nicely. However, forget the current economic climate around the world and surely everyone can see that since he has departed this place has gone into full meltdown.

Airport stormed and closed, political turmoil not seen for decades, an inept government (not democratically elected!). The list goes on and on.

Whether you like Thaksin or not, things (in my opinion) were a whole lot better when he was PM.

I laugh at the posts on here, "Thaksin is a criminal", "he's corrupt".. bla, bla, bla. Do you honestly believe that Thailand is in a better social state now..??

Yes, a few dodgy deals here and there, so what's unusual about that in Thai politics. Better the devil you know I say. It's just the elite of Thai society who wanted him out and as is normal they got their way. Money talks!

A lot of the posters on here need to get out of the bars and go and see the "real" Thailand. Ask around and see what the locals think about the state of their country now!!

Right on dude. I'm not that crazy about Thaksin, but he is a fountain of common sense and honesty compared to many of his detractors! :)

If Mr T was so good for the country can some one please explain why the powers to be eventually ousted him? He was pretty canny at putting as i see it all his people friends and relatives in top places..what happened?

I actually think he was negligent. With his majority he probably thought it would not, nay could not happen.

He was wrong.

He wont make that mistake again, and please make no mistake about this. Imho, he is coming back.

If Mr T was so good for the country can some one please explain why the powers to be eventually ousted him? He was pretty canny at putting as i see it all his people friends and relatives in top places..what happened?

I believe the so-called 'powers-that-be' ousted Thaksin for one very simple reason: FEAR OF CHANGE. Putting aside the controversies surrounding his leadership, you have to admit Thaksin made quite a few sweeping changes Thailand has not seen before (for better or worse). The elite saw this as a threat to their own well-being and deposed of him.

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by Supernova

<snip> Although megalomania is a term often ascribed to anyone who is power-hungry, the clinical definition is that of a mental illness associated with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD).

There are different psychological theories about how and why NPD develops, most of which relate to the integration of different aspects of ego and self as a child, and the nature of the parental roles in that process. Regardless of theory, NPD is characterized by extremely low self-esteem, which is compensated for by delusions of grandeur and megalomania, a narcissistic neuroses. With the propensity to act only on behalf of one's self, the unbridled need to feed one's ego, and the objectification of others to serve the power-hungry needs of megalomania, it is easy to see how this can be a recipe for disaster, especially when wrapped in a charismatic personality. <snip>

I don't agree that he is NPD. though he shows some of the characteristics. do agree he has real self-esteem problems, hence his obsessiveness with wealth (not alone in that), his refusal to concede defeat and his vindictiveness.

To be candid (and I have no boat to row on this), I think that he is still the best option for Thailand (let the flaming begin!), but he could surely use someone or something to mitigate his natural urge towards totalitarianism.

As bad as he was, he was also good. If one could take more of the good things he did and lose the bad things he would pull Thailand out of the shit it's currently in, and there is no-one else on the scene who can do it. Not even.

imho

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson

Never forget the point at which he was overthrown. It was when he was threatening to put his cronies into power to run the army and close all possible state power opposition to his criminal activities. In short he had state power almost within his grasp. All the talk of democracy etc is a whitewash. If he came back it would be very nasty indeed. The other side knows this, but some on this forum have their liberal eyes closed wide shut.

Q: Would Thailand become more of a 'democracy' than it is now with Thaksin at the helm?

A: No.

Q: Can the current coalition government lead by the Democrat Party lead to the country to some sort of reconciliation?

The ongoing power struggle has left this country in shambles, it's not even funny. A real mess LOS has become. I believe something dramatic will happen in the 'not too distant future' that will change Thailand forever, and for the better. I can't tell you what it is, it's just a gut feeling I have.

Enough politics for today... Time for some EPL football! LATER.

Q: Would Thailand become more of a 'democracy' than it is now with Thaksin at the helm?

Q: Can the current coalition government lead by the Democrat Party lead to the country to some sort of reconciliation?

The ongoing power struggle has left this country in shambles, it's not even funny. A real mess LOS has become. I believe something dramatic will happen in the 'not too distant future' that will change Thailand forever, and for the better. I can't tell you what it is, it's just a gut feeling I have.

I agree with you. Been saying so for a while. Famous for it.

As for the gut feeling, you are perceiving a lot of non-obvious things, this is how intuition works. I have the same feeling, something is approaching a denouement and I think I know what it is who will be gone.

Thailand is, among other things, a nation of people who seek guidance from those in power. Often those people are older, richer and male. Other cultures do that, but it's particularly prevalent in Asia.

You'll notice that no political candidate would ever consider running independently. All have to be sanctioned by the party mechanism. More often than not, if there's a power position open in Thailand, the power brokers look to the most senior member(s) for potential candidates, as if digging up ancient relics and putting them again on display. A look at the succession of Thai PM's (on Wikipedia) shows old men getting re-elected over and over.

Thailand hasn't changed in its core condition over the past years. Its leaders still have their bamboo sandals stuck firmly in the mud of archaic uncreative thinking, regardless of what color shirts their supporters are wearing. Perhaps the most effective way to effect positive change is in the school system. Encourage individual thinking, creativity, and problem solving using one's wits (almost unheard of in Thailand). Little will happen at home, where TV soap operas rein supreme, but maybe some good teachers will buck the trend, and attempt to challenge their students to think for themselves, to invent, to spread their wings of creativity, to question authority if it detects things are off-kilter.

Government News

Government launches national unity program (19/9/2009)

On the 18th of September, 17.30 hrs, at the Santi Maitri Building at the Government House, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva commenced the "Thai unity and strength” project in cooperation with public and private sectors for all Thai people to express their unity for the nation. Attendants included members of the military, police, medical officials, civil servants, athletic representatives, the public, and the media.

The Prime Minister expressed his appreciation to all for being a part of the project. This project is directed to create unity and fairness among all the sectors of society. The project is also in part associated with the “ I love Thailand” project which was launched on 4th of July .

The Prime Minister said these projects will begin with a live broadcast of the people singing the Thai National anthem from all the provinces. The broadcast will go by each province, alphabetically starting from Krabi province to Ubon Ratchathani, and finally to Bangkok on December 4, BE 2552 and December 5, BE 2552, which is His Majesty the King's Birthday. In this occasion, the Thai people will be able to sing the national anthem together once again to show their love for the nation on Father's Day.

The Prime Minister stated that the Thai people understand well that without unity, the nation and society cannot stand strong. Many times in the past, the nation had overlooked this idea through various situations and problems, which resulted in the weakness of the nation. Nevertheless, the Prime Minister articulated that he believes that if the Thai people cooperate, like they had on this project, the people will be able to create unity and strength for our nation.

In the end, the Prime Minister thanked all persons who contributed to this project. He also reiterated that the success of the project depended on the cooperation of the people, which is an activity that people can participate in on a daily basis. Hence, the Prime Minister wished to invite all Thai people to participate in this project for the prosperity of the people and the nation.

http://media.thaigov.go.th/pageconfig/view...;contents=36373

18991230121813.jpg

1899123012216j.jpg18991230122830.jpg

18991230123313.jpg18991230123616.jpg

more photos here: http://media.thaigov.go.th/pageconfig/albu...975&pageno=

When I try to picture the past three years WITH Thaksin as PM I see a one party totalitarian dictatorship absent any dissent or opposition, ruthless oppression and repression by a Soviet style judiciary, a state and economy melded into Thailand/Thaksin Inc; unprecedented, massive and shamelessly boastful corruption; news media that daily sing their praises of Thaksin's love of the people and of his magnificent leadership and benevolence, children in schools singing the glories and greatness of Thaksin, a national police force that runs amok to leave the population stripped helplessly bare, and Thaksin being re-elected by 93% of the vote--among numerous other horrors of a continued rule by Thaksin.

In short, I see a Thailand being gang raped without limit by Thaksin & Co. All the wrong people would be in prison instead of the madman himself along with his slimey cronies.

As for the gut feeling, you are perceiving a lot of non-obvious things, this is how intuition works. I have the same feeling, something is approaching a denouement and I think I know what it is who will be gone.

For the better? What are you talking about ? I think most people feel something big is going to happen, but I don't feel it will be for the better. It seems to me things will get worse, perhaps much worse, first. I hope I am wrong.

"I would like both my admirers and haters to think what good has been done over the past three years. Has the economy improved? What about justice and human rights? And is there fair treatment for bureaucrats?"

No.

Why does the Thaksin hate brigade have such a tough time answering the question? If the answer to the question was a resounding yes, or even if there had been some improvement, Mr. Thaksin would be ignored. All the negative statements offered up about Thaksin doesn't change the reality. Those that support the military coup and the military's associates now in power will offer up all sorts of stories about how bad Thaksin was. OK, but the fact is Thailand is in worse shape today than it was when Thaksin was PM. No, that doesn't make him an angel, but what we have is an exchange of 8 -100 baht notes for a 1000 baht note. More paper, but the total value is less.

We only use the tools we've got.

And that is why the do not let people without arms try out for the Olympic boxing team.

Edited by geriatrickid

For the better? What are you talking about ? I think most people feel something big is going to happen, but I don't feel it will be for the better. It seems to me things will get worse, perhaps much worse, first. I hope I am wrong.

TWO very powerful figures in Thai politics are over 70 now and one of them is much loved.

Who knows what the future holds? :)

Never forget the point at which he was overthrown. It was when he was threatening to put his cronies into power to run the army and close all possible state power opposition to his criminal activities. In short he had state power almost within his grasp. All the talk of democracy etc is a whitewash. If he came back it would be very nasty indeed. The other side knows this, but some on this forum have their liberal eyes closed wide shut.

Spot on.

When I try to picture the past three years WITH Thaksin as PM I see a one party totalitarian dictatorship absent any dissent or opposition, ruthless oppression and repression by a Soviet style judiciary, a state and economy melded into Thailand/Thaksin Inc; unprecedented, massive and shamelessly boastful corruption; news media that daily sing their praises of Thaksin's love of the people and of his magnificent leadership and benevolence, children in schools singing the glories and greatness of Thaksin, a national police force that runs amok to leave the population stripped helplessly bare, and Thaksin being re-elected by 93% of the vote--among numerous other horrors of a continued rule by Thaksin.

In short, I see a Thailand being gang raped without limit by Thaksin & Co. All the wrong people would be in prison instead of the madman himself along with his slimey cronies.

The stuff if realistic nightmares....

Josip Broz Thaksin... and uncle Tito, Big Brother Asia....

DoubleSpeak, PartySpeak, CorrectSpeak...

Branding a T on all his product lines dedicated to making HIM even MORE.

Even his wife and helpmate of decades bailed, she could tell the cause was lost,

but he can't... that is not the kind of mental state to run a country.

Someone above said he would be great if "someone could moderate his tendency to totalitarianism".

Well there IS the rub and the reason he was removed, by the time they realized how over the top he was,

that WAS the only way to moderate his actions.

NPD, Meglomania, or just garden variety HUBRIS... what ever flavor you like,

he was a danger and continues to be the MAIN danger, regardless of what GOOD he may have done.

Those days are long gone and are not coming back, so stop wishing for them.

They barely existed then and only for fleeting instants.

Edited by animatic

... but what we have is an exchange of 8 -100 baht notes for a 1000 baht note. More paper, but the total value is less.

What we have is an exchange of 8 - 100 baht notes for a counterfeit 1000 baht note. Some of the deluded think we're worse off, but the reality is we're 800x better off.

Winston Churchill was somewhat megalomanic. It contributed to his strength of leadership. Good job you weren't around then to give your sage advice on his fitness to lead the country, otherwise Europe might well have ended up with a very different political landscape.

Whatever your thoughts on how good / bad / corrupt / beneficial etc Thaksin was or was not, the fact remains that in the eyes of the world press, and by extension in the eyes of the non-Thai peoples of the world, Thaksin was the popularly elected leader of Thailand. He was illegally ousted by military coup and exiled. His proxy party then won the next democratic election. That party was (again) ousted illegally by a mob aided and abetted by powerful movers and shakers in the elite (we shall mention no names...), and a totally unelected government shoe-horned into power.

Is it any wonder that Thailand is now regarded in the wider world as something of a cowboy state?

As has been mentioned, in the not too distant future, there are going to be some sea-changes in Thailand. When the power of the Bangkok elite is diminished, as it will be in not too many years (no-one lives forever), I wouldn't be surprised to see Thaksin take centre stage in Thailand again. He is still hugely popular in rural Thailand (you know - those country folk who shouldn't be given a vote because they're too stupid to know how to use it), and if he were able to return and contest the leadership would probably win by a landslide again.

He might win. He might not. But never by a landslide. That is because he has lost major face with millions of Thais and he is a corrupt COWARD. REAL strong heroic national leaders earn their moral authority by their deeds. Skipping out on charges, evacuating your family while launching a violent revolution, don't cut it.

Edited by Jingthing