Motorcycle School?

rrose070

Blinky...what is skun nuts?

Glad you asked rrrrrrrrosie.

It's what you get when your motorbike, which has a high fuel tank and low seat, stops suddenly in the side of a Toyota Hi Ace van and you don't catapult yourself quick enough for your lower anatomy to clear the tank before coming into violent contact with the said tank caused by your body's inertia. I cleared the top of the van thus avoiding a broken neck and was airborne for about 10 metres, the only inuries were a broken finger and skun nuts.

A very painful experience I can assure you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the jeans were ripped from knee to knee and the undies were reduced to rags. Heavy bruising was also experienced.

Edited by Blinky Bill

A bit simplistic but when skydiving, I always get a kick out of folks who wear a helmet - not gonna do much when/if you hit the ground at 120mph..

To my uneducated mind, your point concerning skydiving seems plausible. Translated to the world of motorcycles, though, it would be nonsense. On motorcycles I have hit the ground three different times at speeds well in excess of 100 mph, once in excess of 120 mph, and got up and walked away from each, largely uninjured. I would have got up and walked away had I not been wearing a helmet (as well as full leathers with body armour).

All Thais can drive motorbikes and cars instinctively from birth and rightly regard spending money on unnecessary things like training, helmets, lightbulbs, brakes and tyres as nothing but a waste when they could buy a good quality lucky Amulet and some extra dark tint window material which would serve the same purpose and look way cool too. :D

Myth busters.

1. In fact many Thais are terrified at just the thought of being on a motorbike and prefer bicycles and taxis. (Mostly older women, but still a sizable number)

2. Thais require lessons and practice to drive just like real people. On cars they invariable post a sign in the back window saying the driver-student is a "new hand" (in Thai, of course)

3. Despite what the skeptics may say, Amulets do (statistically) protect riders from harm. (counter-intuitive but do statistics lie?)

4. Motorcycles are required to be registered AND to pass a safety and pollution inspection. Shocking but true.

And last but not least ...

5. Having "helmet-hair" at school or work IS worse than death! (apparently)

-NG :)

To my uneducated mind, your point concerning skydiving seems plausible. Translated to the world of motorcycles, though, it would be nonsense. On motorcycles I have hit the ground three different times at speeds well in excess of 100 mph, once in excess of 120 mph, and got up and walked away from each, largely uninjured. I would have got up and walked away had I not been wearing a helmet (as well as full leathers with body armour).

So Razza, what you are saying is, the helmet didn't help save your life? So why did you bother wearing one along with the leathers?

So Razza, what you are saying is, the helmet didn't help save your life? So why did you bother wearing one along with the leathers?

What I meant to say, of course, is that I would have suffered even more brain damage than I did, and would be doing worse now than simply leaving out of my sentences critical words like 'not'. :)

Interesting points, NaiGreg, particularly this:

Despite what the skeptics may say, Amulets do (statistically) protect riders from harm. (counter-intuitive but do statistics lie?)

If those statistics have any reliabilty -- and, for the sake of discussion, let's just assume they might -- I wonder what the reasons or correlations could be?

These drivers are more aware of and concerned about road safety?

These drivers are more cautious people ?

These drivers feel protected and are thus more relaxed, which can be good when driving (to a point, of course)?

Or ... what?

What I meant to say, of course, is that I would have suffered even more brain damage than I did, and would be doing worse now than simply leaving out of my sentences critical words like 'not'. :)

I think I've had 1 less bang on the head than you Razza. :D

I am not a big believer in luck but agree that there are lots of idiots out there. The fact is, however, that if you hit something/someone while operating a vehicle of any kind, you were either going too fast or not paying enough attention (we can perhaps discount a meteor dropping out of the sky in front of you that you never saw coming - for me it was the branch of a tree but I mananged to maintain control).

If you were so aware, did you not pick up that something was amiss with the driver of the other car? It is always easy to put things onto "the other guy" but if you had slowed down and given them LOTS more space, would things have gone differently? I don't mean, ever, to be insensitive Bruce and I am truly sorry to hear of your misfortune..

Like most people, I was driving a few mph above the speed limit on an empty, straight highway in ideal driving conditions. The woods on this stretch of highway were so thick there was no possibility of seeing the joy rider until he emerged from them a few yards from the highway. I barely had time to hit the breaks, and there was no time to stop.

Have you ever had a small animal run in front of you with so little warning you couldn't avoid hitting it? Was that because you were inattentive or driving too fast? Just as small animals can dart in front of you so quickly you have no chance to avoid them, so can large fast moving vehicles coming from obscured side roads. There is also the possibility of the other driver hitting you when you are stuck in traffic and have no where to go. That's why I'm a fan of safety equipment.

I think I've had 1 less bang on the head than you Razza. :)

But then, how would you know, Binky?? :D :D

Have you ever had a small animal run in front of you with so little warning you couldn't avoid hitting it? Was that because you were inattentive or driving too fast? Just as small animals can dart in front of you so quickly you have no chance to avoid them, so can large fast moving vehicles coming from obscured side roads. There is also the possibility of the other driver hitting you when you are stuck in traffic and have no where to go. That's why I'm a fan of safety equipment.

We may be talking apples and (trucks carrying) oranges here and,

as I feared,

this thread is going FAR beyond anything related to Thailand,

altho,

as we write,

I am stealing RRebecky's CM Biz idea..

My wife is a MAJOR animal lover and a few years ago flung herself and her sister into the street, in downtown CM traffic, while on a motorbike, because a dog ran out in front of her.

Yes, they both, fortunately, came out of it very well indeed.

I ran over a dog a while back on our big bike and even ran over a snake, that I really liked, right in front of own home just a couple of days ago.

Yes, I COULD perhaps have avoided running over them but at the risk of an accident. I chose otherwise.

My wife and I discuss this often and my instruction is DO NOT risk your own life or anyone else's to try to avoid an animal in the street!

RUN IT OVER - like any other obstacle - and ALWAYS remember to maintain control of the machine!

To risk a head-on collision or the death of family members for an animal is just plain stupid and irresponsible.

Nope Bruce, I haven't hit anything straight on as yet. The rule, in flight school, was that there is NO excuse to hit anything WHAT-SO-EVER in front of you!

Not that you would ever be able to make any excuses..

You already admitted to being over the speed limit which says a lot..

Someone hitting you "when you are stuck in traffic" has nothing to do with this conversation...

I think I've had 1 less bang on the head than you Razza. :)

Nope Bruce, I haven't hit anything straight on as yet. The rule, in flight school, was that there is NO excuse to hit anything WHAT-SO-EVER in front of you!

Not that you would ever be able to make any excuses..

You already admitted to being over the speed limit which says a lot..

I was doing 60 when the nationwide speed limit was 55. You never drove over 55 back then? The speed limit on that highway is now 65.

Does the rule in flight school mean a bird strike is always the pilots fault?

Your original posting indicated that you believed that awareness alone would solve all problems. My position is that things, usually reckless drivers, can come at you on the road that no amount of awareness can protect you from. For this reason I believe reasonable safety precautions, such as seatbelts in cars and helmets on motorbikes, are always in order. The possibility of being hit by someone while stuck in traffic is another reason for these safety precautions.

Getting back to the original posting, motorcycle school would also be a good idea, if a good one were available. Unfortunately I don't know of any in the area.

Edited by heybruce

I was doing 60 when the nationwide speed limit was 55. You never drove over 55 back then? The speed limit on that highway is now 65.

Does the rule in flight school mean a bird strike is always the pilots fault?

Your original posting indicated that you believed that awareness alone would solve all problems. My position is that things, usually reckless drivers, can come at you on the road that no amount of awareness can protect you from. For this reason I believe reasonable safety precautions, such as seatbelts in cars and helmets on motorbikes, are always in order. The possibility of being hit by someone while stuck in traffic is another reason for these safety precautions.

Getting back to the original posting, motorcycle school would also be a good idea, if a good one were available. Unfortunately I don't know of any in the area.

A bird srike? This is getting ridiculous.. How about we get into lightning rods on bikes? Tornado radar?

I took a really big bird in the chest on my 1100cc Shadow that almost put me down in Hawaii (cracked a couple of ribs) but I haven't taken on the "Combat Flack-Vests For Bikers" campaign. Sheet happens. If you, like a LOT of others on here, frequently fling yourself into the street or down some motorcycle racetrack, by all means, wear your armor DOOD!!

Give me a break, Bruce - I never wrote that awareness is the end-all or solve-all - just that stupidity and LACK of awareness is perhaps the greatest danger most of us face whenever we leave the house, no matter what transportation device we choose to use.

And the GREAT majority of road fatalities occur from that very same lack of awareness and no amount of "safety gear" is ever going to change that.

We can encase ourselves in an iron suit of armor but, if we don't pay REALLY close attention to what we are dong when we choose to become a projectile, we are gonna die...

Edited by Dustoff

Give me a break, Bruce - I never wrote that awareness is the end-all or solve-all - just that stupidity and LACK of awareness is perhaps the greatest danger most of us face whenever we leave the house, no matter what transportation device we choose to use.

And the GREAT majority of road fatalities occur from that very same lack of awareness and no amount of "safety gear" is ever going to change that.

In your original post you wrote: "Whether you are a biker or a pilot or a skydiver or a police officer, it is all about being totally aware of what you are doing, and how vulnerable you are, every single moment. That, and that alone, is what will keep you alive and out of harm's way. The other stuff is just window-dressing and may even give you a false sense of safety/security."

"totally aware...that and that alone". Sounds like the end-all and solve all.

I agree that lack of awareness, and outright reckless stupidity, causes the majority of accidents. I certainly agree that you should be sober and alert when driving a car, bike, airplane, motorboat or anything else that moves at hazardous speeds. I won't try to express my opinion of idiots who talk on their mobile or text message while driving or biking. But I also believe that the other guys stupidity can inflict an accident on you no matter how alert and careful you are. I don't argue that safety gear will eliminate all risks, just that it will improve your odds.

A friend of mine told me about seeing a young lady do a five meter face slide on the pavement without a helmet after another person, probably drunk, clipped her from behind. Even though my skull is thick and my face is ugly, if I go down I want my helmet to take the worst of it.

In your original post you wrote: "Whether you are a biker or a pilot or a skydiver or a police officer, it is all about being totally aware of what you are doing, and how vulnerable you are, every single moment. That, and that alone, is what will keep you alive and out of harm's way. The other stuff is just window-dressing and may even give you a false sense of safety/security."

"totally aware...that and that alone". Sounds like the end-all and solve all.

I agree that lack of awareness, and outright reckless stupidity, causes the majority of accidents. I certainly agree that you should be sober and alert when driving a car, bike, airplane, motorboat or anything else that moves at hazardous speeds. I won't try to express my opinion of idiots who talk on their mobile or text message while driving or biking. But I also believe that the other guys stupidity can inflict an accident on you no matter how alert and careful you are. I don't argue that safety gear will eliminate all risks, just that it will improve your odds.

A friend of mine told me about seeing a young lady do a five meter face slide on the pavement without a helmet after another person, probably drunk, clipped her from behind. Even though my skull is thick and my face is ugly, if I go down I want my helmet to take the worst of it.

Geez Bruce, are you lonely? :D

Kidding of course and we largely agree on most points. I don't try to talk people out of wearing helmets and have posted on here many times that I not only wear one in town but one that is stronger than probably 99% of the helmets on the road, including the full-face, DOT kinds. I am a hiway, long-distance kind of rider so perhaps do not face as many risks as the folks who are in town all the time or zipping around a track at (pardon the expression) break-neck speeds. I don't really care if you, or anyone else, wears a helmet even in bed (hmm, I have known a couple of women...), I just express my preferences and why I have them.

I probably shouldn't post late at night and don't always express myself well so please take me with a large grain of salt. I wasn't challenging you about 'the other driver' when you had your accident, merely asking if your attention was spot-on. I know that sheet happens (no, I am not Hispanic) - I was shot down five times in combat and a total engine failure plunked me and my helicopter down in the Pacific Ocean off Hawaii years ago. We deal with the cards we are dealt every day and I prefer not to dress for, and thereby possibly cause, an accident. We wore helmets in combat but never thought of them as safety equipment but communications equipment and every pilot I knew and flew with considered them a major pain in the BUTT and would have taken them off in a heartbeat if something like aviation headphones would have worked.

"...if I go down I want my helmet to take the worst of it."

Hmm, you may not want to say that to your newest girlfriend... :)

We can encase ourselves in an iron suit of armor but, if we don't pay REALLY close attention to what we are dong when we choose to become a projectile, we are gonna die...

Yes, and often enough, even then.

Absolutely true and we never know when/where/how it is going to happen.

American fighter pilot, hero, astronaut, first man to orbit the earth John Glenn came back down to earth only to fall down in his own bathtub in March of 1964, ending his Senatorial race and he was never quite the same again.

HELMETS IN BATHTUBS !!

What the hey, I never wash my hair anyway... :)

Yes, and often enough, even then.

Absolutely true and we never know when/where/how it is going to happen.

American fighter pilot, hero, astronaut, first man to orbit the earth John Glenn came back down to earth only to fall down in his own bathtub in March of 1964, ending his Senatorial race and he was never quite the same again.

HELMETS IN BATHTUBS !!

What the hey, I never wash my hair anyway... :D

Have you got any of the real stuff to wash, Sean? :)

HELMETS IN BATHTUBS !!

What the hey, I never wash my hair anyway... :D

Have you got any of the real stuff to wash, Sean? :)

Nope. At my age, the "real stuff" I used to have is now so small that I have trouble finding it.

If you are talking hair, yes - I still look like a hippy freak and my wife has to cut it regularly so I don't make a mess of it when I go poo-poo.

Have you noticed however that as we get older our ears and tongues continue to grow?

I think that there is a life lesson in our ear growth in that we should all continue to listen and learn no matter how old we become.

I can't recall the lesson in why my tongue keeps growing but hang on a second, I will ask the little lady who just climbed off my face...