Buying Mobiles Online!

Joey Boy

Im trying to get hold of a samsung D500, was in MBK last week trying to get one and as there not released all the store holders were being a bit funny about selling me one. Though there were a few avail from what I could gather, it was all cloak and dagger stuff. U give me 20'000 baht, u go round the corner and get given the phone in a brown paper bag type operation, which I wasnt to keen on.

They wouldnt even let me see the phone unless it had already been paid for, not @ only one shop but 3 or 4. :o

Is there anywhere u can order phones online?

cheers

I just saw a full-page ad for the Samsung D500 on page 2 of the Bangkok Post yesterday (Mar.21), so it's probably sold through legitimate distribution channels by now.

Try calling the Samsung Call Center at 02 689 3232; they could tell you what shops have this model in stock. Would be a safer bet than MBK, which is known for dealing in stolen goods/gray market activities. :o The price at a licensed distributor should be higher though, so you'll have to decide whether you're willing to pay a premium for your peace of mind.

If you can read Thai you might also want to check out the Samsung website at www.th.samsungmobile.com for more info.

I just saw a full-page ad for the Samsung D500 on page 2 of the Bangkok Post yesterday (Mar.21), so it's probably sold through legitimate distribution channels by now.

Try calling the Samsung Call Center at 02 689 3232; they could tell you what shops have this model in stock. Would be a safer bet than MBK, which is known for dealing in stolen goods/gray market activities.  :o  The price at a licensed distributor should be higher though, so you'll have to decide whether you're willing to pay a premium for your peace of mind.

If you can read Thai you might also want to check out the Samsung website at www.th.samsungmobile.com for more info.

At MBK you run the risk of getting a phone that consists almost exclusively of low-grade spare parts wrapped up in a very nice shell.

At least that is what they do with many of the mini-discs and CD walkmans that are sold there. If you are happy with that, then no problem, but if you want to avoid problems in the future I'd recommend a serious dealer instead.

Not sure about what online stores are available here, but same thing goes there though, be careful. You want to be able to see and examine the merchandise before you pay.

yup, thanks for the help. I never realised what cowboys MBK were! It has appeared on the www.tohome.com website this morning, but there saying no stock till the 28th and delivery by the 30th.

IT Mall are as bad as MBK for dodgy kit?

There is a risk as meadish says, but it's not *that* bad or widespread. I'm thinking that the official distribution channels (through Samsung Thailand) haven't actually started releasing this particular model yet, and so the ones sold in MBK are illegal "carry in" imports. This would explain the cloak and dagger behaviour, as they don't want to incur the wrath of official Samsung reps.

You want real risk? Try Hong Kong. Can't find a straight deal anywhere. Was a real nightmare for me. Worst thing is, they don't care if they treat you bad, scam you, or even kick you out of their store for bargaining (I've seen all three in one day's shopping, I wonder what I haven't seen). They can rely on Hong Kong's name as a shopper's paradise (ha!) to draw in more unsuspecting prey.

from my own experience I can tell you that it is that BAD. After having left my V3 RAZR mobile phone in a taxi on Friday, I went to Bliss@tel in MBK and bought a Samsung slider 600 phone for 11,500 baht. The next night I was coming home from a party for Asia Moot Corp's competition at the Hyatt when I was stupid enough to drop the phone and it just so happened to fall right through the tiny grill of one of those giant freaking stone rain gutter slabs on the side of the road. I could see it through the grill as the display on my brand new phone was still on. After getting a couple front desk people from my parent's condo and a useless motorcycle police officer supervising the successful hour long effort to lift this giant concrete slab and finally pull my phone out, , I found out that the circuits were shorted on the ###### phone. One of the front desk guys advised me to take it to a shop at MBK which I promptly did the next morning. After telling me 4 times to come back in 30 minutes he had "fixed" it by just replacing the insides with some other inferior phone's circuitry. He then told me that it cost 4,500 baht to fix it, and advised me that I should sell it to him. Having been thoroughly sickened with the whole experience I did for 5,500 baht - 4,500 (repair cost) for a whopping 3 day depreciation of 10,500 baht. I went back to Bliss@tel and bought one of the cheapest phones there for 5,900 baht. I know I can buy mobiles for a marginally cheaper price at the stalls, but I would rather pay the 8% premium for a solid warranty and the option to return the phone for a refund within 30 days after the purchase. That phone I sold to the dodgy dealer btw is being sold by him for 9,500 baht. If you can afford to, always pay the little extra for the peace of mind derived from purchasing products from reputable retailers.

My point was that not all shops in MBK are low life scammers. You will find bad stores in MBK, but that's if you're going to go for the small (really small) retailers. Go to the normal established retailers (ie the ones that actually rent rooms) and you usually won't have any problems.

Henry, why didn't you ask for repairs from Blisstel? Usually, 3 days after purchase, a shop like that would be more than happy to fix the phone for you.

The reason I cited HK as being a lot worse was because the behaviour that I describe was seen at major shops along the main tourist shopping street, Tsim Sha Tsui. I can understand stalls scamming and treating customers badly, but not major stores.

Edited by Firefoxx

my personal observation...

in mbk the phone area (near tokyo) 4th floor...the shops make a bargain wid u then go around to other shops to get a good margin and then coma back n tell u that old price is not valid and re-negotiate a couple of k's higher...all shops do that...

My point was that not all shops in MBK are low life scammers.  You will find bad stores in MBK, but that's if you're going to go for the small (really small) retailers.  Go to the normal established retailers (ie the ones that actually rent rooms) and you usually won't have any problems.

Henry, why didn't you ask for repairs from Blisstel?  Usually, 3 days after purchase, a shop like that would be more than happy to fix the phone for you.

The reason I cited HK as being a lot worse was because the behaviour that I describe was seen at major shops along the main tourist shopping street, Tsim Sha Tsui.  I can understand stalls scamming and treating customers badly, but not major stores.

Actually Firefoxx, you are right. I really shouldnt have spoken so generally about every shop in MBK. My negative experience was limited to just one lousy dealer in MBK. I guess I was just venting. If I was thinking clearly, I probably should have taken it back to blistel and seen what they could have done for me. Your advice is actually quite logical and although I hope never to have to go through this again, if I do, I will probably take it.