Exporting Reclaimed Hard Woods

HER family has 3, old, standing teak wood buildings and they also have 'access' to more preused hard woods of all species, like mahogany etc.

My friend, here in Canada, owns a lumber mill and is interested in purchasing reclaimed hard woods.

-----------------------

Does the certification process for Export, that is reclaimed, happen with Thai or Canadian authorities?

--------------

I read on TV that exporting from Thailand can be 'difficult' involving bribing officials to get Export Permits. Is this true? Is the exporting process 'problematic'? [Most countries encourage Export trades!]

-----------

Generally, any information on the 'recalimed' lumber market, especially if there is a steady Supply in South, or not, would be appreciated.

If you live in the NST area and 'possibly' want to be involved with Exporting products, jewelly, lipao, lumber, furniture PM me.

There are ethical issues to consider before getting into the business of exporting "reclaimed" wood from Southeast Asia. This trade is encouraging the destruction of architectural heritage here: houses, shops, government buildings, etc.

Thailand's main export is tourism, which hardly benefits from the disappearance of old buildings and neighborhoods.

If you live in the south, why not instead get involved in exporting wood reclaimed from rubber plantations? Rubber wood substitutes for wild wood and does not involve tearing down old buildings.

HER family has 3, old, standing teak wood buildings and they also have 'access' to more preused hard woods of all species, like mahogany etc.

My friend, here in Canada, owns a lumber mill and is interested in purchasing reclaimed hard woods.

-----------------------

Does the certification process for Export, that is reclaimed, happen with Thai or Canadian authorities?

--------------

I read on TV that exporting from Thailand can be 'difficult' involving bribing officials to get Export Permits. Is this true? Is the exporting process 'problematic'? [Most countries encourage Export trades!]

-----------

Generally, any information on the 'recalimed' lumber market, especially if there is a steady Supply in South, or not, would be appreciated.

If you live in the NST area and 'possibly' want to be involved with Exporting products, jewelly, lipao, lumber, furniture PM me.

There are ethical issues to consider before getting into the business of exporting "reclaimed" wood from Southeast Asia. This trade is encouraging the destruction of architectural heritage here: houses, shops, government buildings, etc.

Thailand's main export is tourism, which hardly benefits from the disappearance of old buildings and neighborhoods.

If you live in the south, why not instead get involved in exporting wood reclaimed from rubber plantations? Rubber wood substitutes for wild wood and does not involve tearing down old buildings.

sheesh, :) the buildings I am talking about have not and will not be seen by tourists and will NEVER be tourist attractions. They are kms off rural roads that, maybe 10 farangs per year pass by.

Also, ethical people lean towards honesty and facts. Tourism is NOT an export product and tourism IS a very small part of Thailand's GNP.

Actually, Thailand's three main export sectors are electronics, electrical appliances and automotive, if facts are at all interesting to your 'ethical' mind. Jewelry, animal feed and rice dwarf tourism as factors in Thailand's economy.

[it would be interesting to see occupancy map of tourists in Thailand. Likely it would 99% spend their time in 5% of the country and 80% of those think they are 'seeing Thailand. Once I'm out of BKK, I rarely see foreigners.]

---

If you DO want a REAL issue to deal with, there are those who are putting up new buildings with Teak from Burmese forests, registering them as reclaimed lumber, tearing them down and shipping them out.

Those are the folks you should be sniffing at.

---