The Top Designer From Apple Insults Buddhism

amkbkk

Everybody should be allowed to do or tell what he wants about any religion / believe and the ones who complains should be punished !

A Buddhist with a true understanding of the teachings would not want to criticize another's beliefs and would not mind what people did with the Buddha's image. The point here, though, is it is against Thai law to "insult" a religion - any religion. The government usually makes formal complaints about overseas companies using the Buddha's image in what they consider an insulting way.

Indeed.

Only the true messiah would deny his devinity...

A Buddhist with a true understanding of the teachings would not want to criticize another's beliefs and would not mind what people did with the Buddha's image. The point here, though, is it is against Thai law to "insult" a religion - any religion. The government usually makes formal complaints about overseas companies using the Buddha's image in what they consider an insulting way.

And yet there is a restaurant I have seen at Central World with a Buddha-like figure in its sign and a name called something like BuddhiBelly.

And yet there is a restaurant I have seen at Central World with a Buddha-like figure in its sign and a name called something like BuddhiBelly. :)

Doesn't that relate to Hotei (Jpn) ,or to give it it's original Chinese name, Budai or Putai. That is the fat , laughing Buddha who the Chinese and Thai-Chinese, Buddhists/Taoists think that by rubbing his belly it will bring good luck.

And yet there is a restaurant I have seen at Central World with a Buddha-like figure in its sign and a name called something like BuddhiBelly.

As Chutai said, this is likely to be the so-called "Laughing Buddha" (in Thai, Phra Sangkachai), a Chinese monk who many Chinese believe was an incarnation of Maitreya, "the Buddha of the Future."

BUDAI_IN_HAT_YAI.jpg

On the other hand, some restaurants do have a Buddha shrine somewhere high in the room and this is not considered disrespectful.

• 2 weeks later...
Jonathan Ive, senior vice president of industrial design at Apple replaces his face image into sacred Buddha's image. He also made Buddha hold the Apple Logo and Ipod in the image. When I saw that image, I was really bothered and irritated. It was really an act of Insulting to the Buddhism and Buddhists.

Just pretend it was one of the religious figures you don't hold in high esteem. :)

• 5 weeks later...

... however. Don't beat yourself up over it. You get insulted - investigate that feeling, and take a good look at it. Soon it will pass.

Now to the topic on hand, I am not sure the topic starter is a troll, or a practical joker but it should be quite obvious even to the not-so internet savvy that the image in question was not created by John Ive. Somebody photoshopped this. So what?

Try doing that to an image of Jesus and see what happens.

Years ago when I was an assistant principal, a parent who really liked me came into school one day and literally rubbed my belly (I love donuts) and said something along the lines of, "You're our own little Buddha." And yes, she knew I was Buddhist.

Things like this happen all of the time in the Judeo Christian Islamic societies. How many homes and restaurants use Buddhas as decorations where they would never use a crucifix? As I have progressed along the path (about two centimeters in the past thirty years!), I have found that this is innocuous, unimportant and even cause for a smile.