Ais 3g

rickthailand

Maybe before eveyone starts buying these things, you should wait for a few other people to say that they have had the same experience as I have. Maybe my experience and speeds are a fluke or something. Anyway I don't want to be responsible for people buying these the USB stick and then finding out they arn't getting the same speeds as me or something. Or maybe if everyone buys one the service will slow down to normal thai speeds? If that is the case then please stay and suffer with your current provider while we enjoy normal speeds :)

Maybe before eveyone starts buying these things, you should wait for a few other people to say that they have had the same experience as I have. Maybe my experience and speeds are a fluke or something. Anyway I don't want to be responsible for people buying these the USB stick and then finding out they arn't getting the same speeds as me or something. Or maybe if everyone buys one the service will slow down to normal thai speeds? If that is the case then please stay and suffer with your current provider while we enjoy normal speeds :D

AMAN :)

Maybe before eveyone starts buying these things, you should wait for a few other people to say that they have had the same experience as I have. Maybe my experience and speeds are a fluke or something. Anyway I don't want to be responsible for people buying these the USB stick and then finding out they arn't getting the same speeds as me or something. Or maybe if everyone buys one the service will slow down to normal thai speeds? If that is the case then please stay and suffer with your current provider while we enjoy normal speeds :D

I think we all know from the myriad of posts on TV regarding internet experiences that nothing is assured for anyone. My TOT can be fantastic for 1 or 2 days then almost useless for a week or more. Your experience just shows that it MAY be an improvement and I am going to give it a try. It is not a big loss if it is no better. In fact I plan on keeping my TOT so that I can stay connected full time, and possibly only use the 3G when I am doing something serious. I will see how it goes. I won't know unless I try. Either way, I appreciate all the information that has been posted.

It is surely possible that we/they could over subscribe this also. :)

I've had AIS 3G (actually called AIS 3GSM Advance) since rollout about a year and a half ago.

It operates on 900 MHz currently in CM, with a capability of switching to the 2100 MHz international standard when the Thai gov't finally allocates frequency bandwidth.

It works OK. I use it for my static location- I don't move around at all. The speeds have steadily improved since I first got it. I live near CMU on Huay Kaew Road.

I also use a DTAC GPRS/EDGE enabled mobile as a backup.

The AIS 3G has a limited coverage area; get the coverage map before you sign up.

I would not recommend it for users like NancyL. If you are a bit torrent/streaming video/multimedia/YouTube person....this will not be cost effective. Stick with a TOT or TTT ADSL package for big downloads. But you're gonna pay up to 5-10 times for the additional bandwidth. Of course you can get an IpStar satellite terminal as well, for even more. Just decide what you need, based on a realistic appraisal of what you can get by with. Everyone is different.

I have the 300 B, 1.5 GB/month package, which suits my requirements OK. (I have the DTAC mobile connect, and a free apt bldg LAN as a backup).

Hope this help.

• 1 month later...
From an AIS Super 3G brochure:

100 Baht gets 500 MB

300 Baht gets 1.5 GB

500 Baht gets 2.5 GB

900 Baht gets 15 GB

1,500 Baht gets 30 GB

I have added 500 MB to my account and I am using it after the free 500 MB has been used. I am using the aircard. I added 100 Baht for 500 MB and it is good for one month after purchase. I went in to the AIS office on Thapae to verify that. I am not sure if higher amounts last longer like the refill on 1/2 Call.

MSPain

Seems the prices have hiked up to 300% in some cases

post-4090-1258600932_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1258600963_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1258601317_thumb.jpg

I recommend the HTC touch pro 2 (mine branded as t-mobile mda V). It supports 850/900 Mhz 3G and has a lot of features.

Using the phone instead of a USB stick has the advantage of just driving around and seeing where is HSDPA coverage and where not.

And google maps mobile is really fast with AIS 3G (in germany t-mobile offers a flatrate for 10 Euro/month, but limits it to 384 kbit)

Did you know that AIS raised the prices by over 300% this month??

Now 10 GB is the biggest package at 1799 THB.

I still have 30GB at 1500 THB and can keep it till I forget to recharge the money on my simcard and it will be automatically cancelled.

What happends on the line outside Thailand thats a different stony depends on the server and th Webb pages and so on.

The providers always give the speed rate to their server and not outside , This can vary from full speed to nothing.

So many times its not the provider problem, but Thailand has only one exit out from the country, so some times it can get crowded.