Anyone Play Guitar Here? And How Did You Get Your Equipment In Los?

submaniac

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone recommend a reliable Luthier in Bangkok ?

Yes, but I can't remember the name of the shop. It's in the Siam Discovery Center, 3rd floor. I can tell you how to get there if you're not familiar with the place - it's a little tricky- but I don't remember the name. I have a Gibson J185EC that had a serious neck problem (pulling away from the body) and the pick-up had died also. Their tech did a WONDERFUL job on the neck and fixed the electronics too, for 3000 baht. I couldn't be more pleased. It's better than when I bought it. It takes awhile - five weeks and that was a bit of a rush job at the end, as I was in Bangkok for a week and wouldn't be back for a few months. Anyway, highly recommended. If you're interested PM me and I can give you walking instructions, if necessary. It took me awhile to find the place.

eep. It almost sounds like 'luck of the draw'. I care too much about me gear to want to risk that.

And, as to 'why not buy in Thailand', well, the price is cheaper else where. But more importantly, my gear, the guitars and amps I like, I am particular about. Even in the states where there is orders of magnitude more available instrument, it takes me a long time to find a guitar that I really enjoy. Yes, I can go to BKK and buy some cheap samick or even a genuine US fender strat. But, the vibe, color, feel means all the world to me, so it is hard for me to find the right equipment to have.

and yes, I am keeping this thread alive.

Okay, I'll help you keep this post alive! I think it all depends on what gear you have, how attached you are to it, and whether or not it can be replaced here and, if it can, at what cost. Sometimes it's worth it to pay the duty, sometimes not. In my case there wasn't any but I can't say for sure that there wouldn't be the next time. I only have the experience of my one shipment so I don't know how consistant they are. The one question the inspector did ask me was, "For personal use?" When I said yes to that and he saw that the stuff was obviously used and packed with my carpet and kitchen supplies there was no problem.

Can anyone recommend a reliable Luthier in Bangkok ? 

http://jinatuneguitar.freeservers.com/jinatuneguitar.htm

Kind of out of the way over in Thonburi but very good. Graduated from Red Wing Tech. College (Guitar Building/Repair) in Minnesota.

BTW, I've hand carried in 1971 Martin D-28 and a D'Angelico from the US (2 diffferent trips) No problems whatsoever.

Thonburi? Hehehe. That's my home turf. I am glad I at least found a good luthier in case I ever need it. I did bring over a Standard American Strat before (and took it back with me) on a plane. I had no problems with customs or anything else. I didn't even hide it. left it in the gig bag. The guitars I am not worried about. I really want to try bringing over the Marshall half stack. It is huge.

P.S. trying to keep the thread alive!

I brought an SG Standard thru a couple of Months back.. I hand carried it in a Gibson hardcase.. Asked a trolley dolly to put it somewhere safe.. She returned it to me once we landed.. no questions. Walked thru the green channel in BKK with the case in full view.. No interest from the customs blokes.. I've hand carried in heaps of car/bike/music/electronics over the years without a hitch.. Only been stopped once.. I had a full sized weber barbeque I bought in Australia.. Custom guy just asked what was in the box.. 'A barbi mate' .. No worries..

I've bought some amps and a Epi in BKK.. Guitar was cheaper than UK .. Amp was more expensive.. But hey if you want one ... what to do...?

+1 Greytown. For those who have successfully done it, I would love to know more details. There's no way I can stick a Marshall half stack on a plane, and with the horror stories of getting mailed items taxed and/or confiscated i do not want to risk sending it that way.

Why getting a half stack on to the plane?

Sell it over there and buy something similar here, unless you are a total hyper i-must-have-that-special-mid-range-vintage-marshall-with-that special-vintage-speaker- guy, there are several different stacks out there that will do just as good job as the Marshalls, and a lot of them, even better.

there are several different stacks out there that will do just as good job as the Marshalls, and a lot of them, even better.

Yeah, I suppose you are right. The biggest thing is that Marshall's in southern california are relatively cheap compared with what they cost in the rest of the world. Marshall is such a well known name, but I will give it to you that there are alot of companies that do it better and/or cheaper than Marshall. But nothing makes a room look cooler than having a marshall stack in it.

This should be the last word on this! I have lived and played here for the last 8 yrs. When I first came back here ,from my original vacation, I came to work or play as I like to say! I brought with me a Fender Strat, a resonator guitar, a Yamaha classical and a Peavey combo amp, NO PROBLEM! A friend brought over a guitar,Barringer USB Strat, and had NO PROBLEM. Another friend ,who comes 2 or 3 time a yr and has a sizable collection, brings a different Strat each time and NO PROBLEM. I went back to the States two times 5 yrs ago and came back with so much gear it filled two of the carts at BKK airport and NO PROBLEMS! Also went back last June and brought back a custom guitar and another Peavey combo NO PROBLEM! I understand from the few people who have had problems is that it has to look old ,it can't come in it's regular shipping box or have any sales tags on it! As long as it's in a gig bag you will not be asked anything and you can carry it on! Since I have lived here I have purchased a 2 Strats here a Mex and a USA 40th Ann. Right now in this wks issue of the Pattaya News there is a Chinese Squire ,a Jap Strat, and 2 ,yes "2" , Fender custom Shop Eric Johnson models for sale! As far as Marshalls , seems like over kill nowadays! But whatever floats yer boat! They are available here but look out for Thai and Chinese knockoffs! there are also a couple of guys who build amps here ,one in Koh Samui who does Dumble clones!

So in conclusion ,bring what you want, make it look used and as long as you can pay the excess baggage, NO PROBLEM! !

I Have a recording studio in Bangkok, and i constantly buy stuff of ebay, and other places.

I have never paid more than 17% tax/duty.

Sometimes i have it repacked in US, with lower value declared.

Never had a problem, apart from when i imported Bluesky speakers for $10.000.- us.

They questioned if this was really for personal use. In the end they let me have it.

I am now the official retailer in Thailand, after applying officially....

When i first got here, i had my mac G5 in the original box with me, as well as 2 guitars and a huge duflebag.

Around 60 kg in all........Lucky i have a Thai air silver card.........

Just walked straight through customs.

There are lots of good shops in Bangkok.

Yellowmama on Thonglor, good second hand guitar selection, buys from ebay. They have a good website.

A few shops at central world, carry boutique effects, fender, Gibson and and marshall stuff

Guitarthai.com is a great recourse for used gear.

Mind you, second hand gear holds good value.

Edited by Nickkbh

Just my $ worth

Note - I live in Australia.

I buy stuff on ebay with no problems at all. At the moment, with the economic situation there are some really good deals about.

Currently I am buying parts and builing my own Strat type - (running it as a school workshop project). I have two epiphones which were cheap as and a great little California custom shop "Strat" copy - made in China. i like getting the best out of these cheapies and it is no big deal if they get damaged when I travel.

Good news about no probs getting ger through customs as carry on. Want to bring gear over and see if I can jam with the locals.

This should be the last word on this! I have lived and played here for the last 8 yrs. When I first came back here ,from my original vacation, I came to work or play as I like to say! I brought with me a Fender Strat, a resonator guitar, a Yamaha classical and a Peavey combo amp, NO PROBLEM! A friend brought over a guitar,Barringer USB Strat, and had NO PROBLEM. Another friend ,who comes 2 or 3 time a yr and has a sizable collection, brings a different Strat each time and NO PROBLEM. I went back to the States two times 5 yrs ago and came back with so much gear it filled two of the carts at BKK airport and NO PROBLEMS! Also went back last June and brought back a custom guitar and another Peavey combo NO PROBLEM! I understand from the few people who have had problems is that it has to look old ,it can't come in it's regular shipping box or have any sales tags on it! As long as it's in a gig bag you will not be asked anything and you can carry it on! Since I have lived here I have purchased a 2 Strats here a Mex and a USA 40th Ann. Right now in this wks issue of the Pattaya News there is a Chinese Squire ,a Jap Strat, and 2 ,yes "2" , Fender custom Shop Eric Johnson models for sale! As far as Marshalls , seems like over kill nowadays! But whatever floats yer boat! They are available here but look out for Thai and Chinese knockoffs! there are also a couple of guys who build amps here ,one in Koh Samui who does Dumble clones!

So in conclusion ,bring what you want, make it look used and as long as you can pay the excess baggage, NO PROBLEM! !

Thanks for the post. Good to know. I always keep my gear in mint condition (even the cases!) so I might consider getting some cheap used cases for the purpose of getting through customs...

I Have a recording studio in Bangkok, and i constantly buy stuff of ebay, and other places.

I have never paid more than 17% tax/duty.

Sometimes i have it repacked in US, with lower value declared.

Never had a problem, apart from when i imported Bluesky speakers for $10.000.- us.

They questioned if this was really for personal use. In the end they let me have it.

I am now the official retailer in Thailand, after applying officially....

When i first got here, i had my mac G5 in the original box with me, as well as 2 guitars and a huge duflebag.

Around 60 kg in all........Lucky i have a Thai air silver card.........

Just walked straight through customs.

Yellowmama on Thonglor, good second hand guitar selection, buys from ebay. They have a good website.

A few shops at central world, carry boutique effects, fender, Gibson and and marshall stuff

Guitarthai.com is a great recourse for used gear.

Mind you, second hand gear holds good value.

Great info. I'm in the market for some API and NEVE outboard and was especially concerned with getting hold of these in Thailand. So if I have to buy from abroad at least it doesn't sound too daunting. I usually only buy new gear though.

Yellowmama looks interesting. But no prices. There's (what looks like) an extremely rare custom shop strat with "set neck" (!). Never seen another like this before...

Edited by greytown

Any guitar players here? I am just curious how you got your equipment. I was going to leave my '62 reissue strat in Thailand, just to have something to play. I was also thinking what I was going to do with amplification. I was toying of getting a Fender tube combo amp and leaving it there, or even importing my Marshall half stack. I have no idea how much that would run with import and shipping costs. For anyone else that plays, where did you get your equipment? DId you bring it in, or did you buy in Thailand? From looking around the prices in Thailand are really high for the good quality stuff.

Oh yes, I was thinking of bringing in the Marshall head. I could get that on the plane, but would it be hard to buy a 4x12 cabinet. Does anyone know if you can get one locally? Thanks.

Go to live music local bar and check on equipment,get wf/gf, to ask about availability,no problem.

Currently I am buying parts and builing my own Strat type - (running it as a school workshop project).

:) Me too. I am actually a Gibson Les Paul guy, but the strats are so easy to build, and you can get the parts fairly cheaply these days. Here's a pic of my current project, a '62 reissue that cost me $133 to build.

1962%20Reissue%20stratocaster.jpg

Currently I am buying parts and builing my own Strat type - (running it as a school workshop project).

:) Me too. I am actually a Gibson Les Paul guy, but the strats are so easy to build, and you can get the parts fairly cheaply these days. Here's a pic of my current project, a '62 reissue that cost me $133 to build.

1962%20Reissue%20stratocaster.jpg

Nice job. Did you do the finish on that body?

I was going to send some equipments here but after checked on things and fees and the uncertainty of getting taxes or not, It doesn't worth risking it all. Lucky for some that have had no problems and maybe that's the way it is. The equipments here are not totally to far off. Some are cheaper and some are more, just got to look around. Besides, the concept off the Marshall JCM 900, cranked up to about 2 O'clock and the gain is at 8.5 and you plug in a Les Paul with a PAF Pro, hit an A7 and feel the notes vibrate through your bones, they don't care. In total opposite! Here, they just need a pair of skinny Jeans, stand in front of any black half stack that has the word Marshall on it, play lots of ballads and you are Nah Ruk by the Thai chicks! Oh and the hair thing.

I would keep all your good equipments at home and just get anything here that are half way decent and play. Check out the 2nd. floor at Pantip Plaza at Patu Nam, they have some nice gears there and the prices are not too bad and if you can stand the salesman's attitudes.

Any guitar players here? I am just curious how you got your equipment. I was going to leave my '62 reissue strat in Thailand, just to have something to play. I was also thinking what I was going to do with amplification. I was toying of getting a Fender tube combo amp and leaving it there, or even importing my Marshall half stack. I have no idea how much that would run with import and shipping costs. For anyone else that plays, where did you get your equipment? DId you bring it in, or did you buy in Thailand? From looking around the prices in Thailand are really high for the good quality stuff.

Oh yes, I was thinking of bringing in the Marshall head. I could get that on the plane, but would it be hard to buy a 4x12 cabinet. Does anyone know if you can get one locally? Thanks.

I brought a Fender acoustic in when I first came to live.

The last time I went back to the UK I brought back a banjouke, mini amp, effects pedal, violin never a problem at customs.

• 1 month later...
Alicia guitars roughly opposite RCA. These guys are good luthiers and make some nice custom guitars.

Alicia Guitars do excellent work at a very fair price.

Highly Recommended.

Rama 9

Soi 11

(All the way into the end of the dog leg Soi.

Soi 11 is near Ekamai )

(02) 716-8806

(02) 716-9186

post-81722-1257932417_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some of you guitar players ..and other musicians may be interested in this documentary..

http://isohunt.com/torrents/?ihq=+It+Might+Get+Loud

"..'It Might Get Loud' tells the personal stories, in their own words, of three generations of electric guitar virtuosos The Edge (U2), Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), and Jack White (The White Stripes). It reveals how each developed his unique sound and style of playing favorite instruments, guitars both found and invented. Concentrating on the artists musical rebellion, traveling with him to influential locations, provoking rare discussion as to how and why he writes and plays, this film lets you witness intimate moments and hear new music from each artist. The movie revolves around a day when Jimmy Page, Jack White, and The Edge first met and sat down together to share their stories, teach and play." 

Anywhere in Pattaya that does 'set-ups' I want to them to give my Gibson the once over.. Just want the action adjusted, the neck checked and the intonation set.

Have a chat with the guys in the music store up on Sukumvit (opposite the Tesco Lotus / Tepprasit Road turning). I haven't had any work done there, but have browsed fairly frequently and chatted, as well as the language barrier would permit. They seem knowledgeable and farang-friendly.

There is also another guitar store on Pattaya Klang, about midway and on your left hand side as you ride down towards Beach road. Again, I don't have first-hand experience but they have some quality guitars; Les Pauls, Strats etc. They may point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

(Great thread this, for guitar buffs)

Anywhere in Pattaya that does 'set-ups' I want to them to give my Gibson the once over.. Just want the action adjusted, the neck checked and the intonation set.

Have a chat with the guys in the music store up on Sukumvit (opposite the Tesco Lotus / Tepprasit Road turning). I haven't had any work done there, but have browsed fairly frequently and chatted, as well as the language barrier would permit. They seem knowledgeable and farang-friendly.

There is also another guitar store on Pattaya Klang, about midway and on your left hand side as you ride down towards Beach road. Again, I don't have first-hand experience but they have some quality guitars; Les Pauls, Strats etc. They may point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

(Great thread this, for guitar buffs)

I know the place on Sukky... But can't place the one on Klang ? There is a small shop on soi town in town ( just after foodland going towards sukky) and there is 'studio melodica' almost opposite foodland... But don't know of any guitar shop on Klang itself... any more info ?

Edited by Pdaz