Thai Citizinship Benefits? Born In Bangkok

I was born to an american military man during Vietnam war. My mother is Thai and I was born in Bangkok. I am half Thai but spent most of my life in America. Can I get dual citizenship? What are the benefits? I want to invest or buy property if the market is good there. I am in California now. I want to travel to Thailand soon. Thanks

shirley

Legal ownership of land seems to be the big one for you and no visa issues if you later want to live/work in Thailand. But property investment is not as in US for most Thai never move from their family plots, and even if they do will try to keep the land if they have any choice, so the market is very limited and almost all for new construction rather than second hand homes.

Legal ownership of land seems to be the big one for you and no visa issues if you later want to live/work in Thailand.  But property investment is not as in US for most Thai never move from their family plots, and even if they do will try to keep the land if they have any choice, so the market is very limited and almost all for new construction rather than second hand homes.

Well if I do find land to legally own, what does that mean? All I have read about is Farang leasing land. What kind of benefits do I have from legally owning Thai land and/or having maybe vacation property built on it? What is the most lucrative areas of real estate in Thailand both in type of real estate and area. As a legal land owner, how does that effect me financially (taxes, profits,etc.). Any idea how much of an investment it would take to get started USD? Thanks

You own it.

You pay tax on any change of title and believe new laws will have a property tax at 1 to 3 percent per year on appraised value (depending on use).

Get started? With no knowledge and asking these kinds of questions I would say just about everything you have. :o

There are plenty of Thai who have the means to buy land/property and local knowledge (and often losing money) so do not have any idea how you expect to do better.

You own it.

You pay tax on any change of title and believe new laws will have a property tax at 1 to 3 percent per year on appraised value (depending on use).

Get started?  With no knowledge and asking these kinds of questions I would say just about everything you have. :o

There are plenty of Thai who have the means to buy land/property and local knowledge (and oftenmoney) so do not have any idea how you expect to do better.

Thanks for the reply. If you must know, I have made a very sizeable profit from my home in California and am knowledgeable about US Real Estate. That is completely different from Thailand (###### California's market is off the charts compared to the rest of the US in general). I was born in Thailand, it costs a fortune to live in Los Angeles, and my ex-boyfriend (ex-fiance, ex-boyfriend,etc) just dumped me cold after 4 years. We took some time apart and reunited 6 months ago and he professed his undying love until the day he dumped me. Well it is a long story but I am sick of everything here. Bush sucks, I have nothing keeping me here, and I have been wanting to reconnect with my heritage my whole life. I just wanted to figure out a way to do this and make money. By the way, any suggestions on how to learn the language or find americans traveling to Thailand since I plan to go soon? Oh and no offense, but please spare the lectures on love. I am 34 and Hollywood could not write the shit I have been through. Even the shrinks go "daaamn!" when they hear my story. I just need a fresh start (again!).

That is what I am trying to point out - real estate is not anything like the USA (or even California). I have my doubt's about running away being the best path, and to learn Thai is not an easy task for most people, but I would suggest going to a local Wat and getting into the Thai/American mix. Often there are language classes and/or other Thai can help. It may also help your fresh start process without an (my opinion) ill advised move to Thailand to "make money" too soon. Born in Thailand is not being Thai and you do not mention any contact with family here. The mention of "shrinks" is not going to endear you to many in Thailand.

What has Bush done to you? :o

Edited by lopburi3

You own it.

Get started?  With no knowledge and asking these kinds of questions I would say just about everything you have. :o

There are plenty of Thai who have the means to buy land/property and local knowledge (and oftenmoney) so do not have any idea how you expect to do better.

Thanks for the reply. If you must know, I have made a very sizeable profit from my home in California and am knowledgeable about US Real Estate. That is completely different from Thailand (###### California's market is off the charts compared to the rest of the US in general). I was born in Thailand, it costs a fortune to live in Los Angeles, and my ex-boyfriend (ex-fiance, ex-boyfriend,etc) just dumped me cold after 4 years. We took some time apart and reunited 6 months ago and he professed his undying love until the day he dumped me. Well it is a long story but I am sick of everything here. Bush sucks, I have nothing keeping me here, and I have been wanting to reconnect with my heritage my whole life. I just wanted to figure out a way to do this and make money. By the way, any suggestions on how to learn the language or find americans traveling to Thailand since I plan to go soon? Oh and no offense, but please spare the lectures on love. I am 34 and Hollywood could not write the shit I have been through. Even the shrinks go "daaamn!" when they hear my story. I just need a fresh start (again!).

Since you are evidently entitled to Thai citizenship - and with your extensive, in depth and profitable experience in the Property Market - I look forward to following your career in this Sector of the Thai economy with great interest; I am sure Land and Houses, Sansiri et al are anticipating your arrival on these shores with great trepidation.

Not only .........

Let me try again.

But also ...........

Sorry, I had intended to make merry with so many aspects of your Post but suddenly realise that shooting fish in a barrel is no fun sometimes.

Patrick

Bush politics aside, i agree with a lot of lopburi3's advice. Being an american thai myself, i understand you're cultural predicament and guess what, there's hundreds of others out there like us. Although it's good that you want to explore your roots, don't do it to run away from your problems. Rebounding countries may hurt more than rebounding boyfriends. :o

With a clear heart and a clear head, you'll be fine whether in LOS or LA. Take a break in thailand first before you drastically alter your life just cause 1 guy out of 3 billion dumped you.

I have a friend, a half-thai-american girl (age same as you) that attends the wat in CA at the link below. She's been through a lot, as you seem to have been so can probably relate. Anyhow, she could also answer a lot of your questions about thailand too so you can pm me for her name if your interested. Just to note, i haven't been to the wat and don't claim to be enlightened! :D

http://www.abhayagiri.org/fm/v8n1/

Benefits are:

- you can stay in thailand forever if you like it

- work here with out a work permit and not have to put up with the red tape that does with it

- Pass on thai nationality to your kids.

- own land

- vote

Downside includes:

- Being considered a local for salary purposes in the eyes of many employers.

I have a friend, a half-thai-american girl (age same as you) that attends the wat in CA at the link below. She's been through a lot, as you seem to have been so can probably relate. Anyhow, she could also answer a lot of your questions about thailand too so you can pm me for her name if your interested. Just to note, i haven't been to the wat and don't claim to be enlightened! :o

http://www.abhayagiri.org/fm/v8n1/

Just want to say the Wat is normally more of a social meeting place than an indoctrination center for conversion so you should feel comfortable; rather than in church. If not try another. Believe you will find a small group cooking food each day in the morning and they would likely welcome your company and help - and after presenting lunch to monks they will likely have a good meal and time to talk with each other and if you desire with monks. Everything is very low key at most Wats and believe it could be a big help for a troubled mind.

I appreciate the feedback but I have basically raised myself. I have been to several countries and have lived all over the US. I have never really had a home and obviously was a military brat. Running away would entail there being something to run from. Just my newly found hobby of surfing but perhaps I can do that somewhere in Thailand? Definately in Bali (another place I want to visit). I am a tough cookie (mom and dad divorced when I was 7, don't remember first 7 years cept bad stuff, she is a little "off" and never adapted to the mainland {ie:married another air force guy and hung out on the base at the bx with other asian women never got out of her cocoon or learned how to be a decent mom, dad was a piece of crap to be extremely diligent, sister was a bully only 11 mo's. my senior, 3 foster homes, stripper, made good $, broke, marriage, divorce, NYC penthouse, south Bronx murders, Tiffany& Co Bev. Hills consultant, etc. etc.,) like I said, I am anything but a wet behind the ears naive child. I have had some serious hard knocks which sucks, but I am a self-proclaimed genius because of it though I ended up with some pretty serious disorders. I do have family in Thailand but I don't know them and have never met them. I am sure I could find out more if I contact my self-centered mother and convince her I am homeless so she won't ask me for money. I gotta write a book if I just make it to what I consider success or perhaps just peace. I have lived 10 lives so far and all have been bad and I am a pretty decent person. I am not perfect, but statistically, I should have more kids and convictions than teeth like most of my southern relatives but I am the first on either side to even grad HS mush less go to college, never even had a speeding ticket, got a raw deal. Oh well, how do I find out more about who is traveling to Thailand? Where are other sites? Heck repost this around the forums so I can get some sympathy replies. I need info stat! :o Thanks. sigh :D

Bush-he is a whole other story that I dont have time for

Please refrain from posting political views in ThaiVisa as political discussions are not allowed. We would appreciate it if you would stay on topic regarding your questions about Thai citizenship, land ownership, etc.

Thank you.

As to learning Thai, you might want to check some of the threads in our Thai Language forum here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=43

There are many suggestions from people with personal knowledge of the various programs available.

You are not going to find much surf in Thailand. You were given a chance to meet and talk with someone and you seem to have dismissed it so it is very hard to take you too seriously but the bit about sympathy replies is perhaps more important so would suggest you Google with Thailand as key word and add to it various words such as chat etc. Am sure you can find something and sincerely hope that it helps you overcome your present lows. I just do not see a move to Thailand as being in your interest at this time but if you must have a change why not come as a tourist and see if you can adapt? You can use budget accommodations outside the tourist areas if you want to test the waters of really living here. But keep your funds at home until you know your way around. This is a very easy place for folks to lose there shirts.

Perhaps you would be interested in using the BLOG on this forum? I am no expert on that branch but it might help and sure be cheaper than shrinks. Who knows, you might even find others more sympathetic if they can get to know you better. And perhaps even able to offer better advise.

Sounds as though you have come through a lot

But

from what you write it sounds as though you have no idea what you really want or what you want to do

Surfing in Thailand? That is a joke. Buying property? What for?

Your Thai heritage, provided you get all the documents, will give you the benefits here that others have itemised

I think the best advice you have had is

a. Get to know other Thai-Americans

b. Just come and have a look-see

Can you do that?