Have Only Been Twice--

Hi, i've been to Thailand twice, and love the place, i hail from Mid-Wales and like farming and things of that nature, is there a need/market for farmers to get work in Thailand? Or is it better to start a business and does it pay? (sheep and cattle mainly, but also few pigs)

talk to randomchanges , he's our resident farmer here :o

/moved to job and biz forum

Taffy

Could you let us know a bit more about your proposed move?

Will you be bringing your farm with you or will you purchase one here?

If the former let us know what size it is and we can look for a site to put it.

What about Mrs. Taffy, will you be bringing her with you or will you obtain a farmers wife ( sans carving knife with any luck) here?

I am sure if to visit the farmers patronising unit run by HMG they will probably give you a grant to have your farm vehicles fitted with air conditioning.

I assume you will be bring your sheep with you but rest assured you will not be getting any "Wales, where men are men and the sheep are nervous" and of course "Who are ewe looking at?" remarks, well not from me anyway.

As to a business, men of your insight and calibre will have no problem taking the markets here by storm.

After you have shorn the sheep why not get the wool knitted into nice warm sweaters these will sell like hot cakes when the temperature dips below

35o Celsius.

Do let us know if we can help you anymore.

talk to randomchanges , he's our resident farmer here  :D

/moved to job and biz forum

Sorry didn't mean to post in the wrong section, and look forward to the reply of Randomchanges :D

His name is Randomchances!

At least get his name right before asking for help and guidance! :o

He's probably the sanest farang in Thighland! :D:D

:D

Agriculture is prohibited to foregners, though ive read of a few people on here doing some stuff with rubber plantations and such. Do they do it through their Thai wife i wonder?

You wont hear any welsh jokes from me sunshine!!

The Foreign Business Act of Thailand has 3 lists that state the general categories of businesses that are restricted for operations by any foreigner.

Some List One are:

(2) Rice farming, farming or gardening.

(3) Animal farming.

Some List Two are:

Group 2 (3) Silkworm farming, production of Thai silk yarn, weaving Thai silk or Thai silk pattern printing.

Group 3 (2) Salt farming, including underground salt

Some List Three are:

(1) Rice milling and flour production from rice and farm produce.

(2) Fishery, specifically marine animal cultures.

(3) Forestry from forestation.

So first you've got to decide what you want to do and what category it falls under. List One is the most restrictive and you'll have to have "special" permission to legally operate any business in this category. List Two is also highly restrictive but you can partner with a thai national to apply for a license. List Three you'll just have to apply for a license and see if it gets approved.

There's always exceptions to these rules depending upon who you know, how much money you have, and exemption treaties between different countries. BTW, most denials are based upon individual qualifications of capital and legalities.

Hi, i've been to Thailand twice, and love the place, i hail from Mid-Wales and like farming and things of that nature, is there a need/market for farmers to get work in Thailand? Or is it better to start a business and does it pay? (sheep and cattle mainly, but also few pigs)

First impressions of Thailand are always positive.......

Spend a year here travelling around, talk to other expats and you may change your opinion.

Don't ever think that you will make it even with loads of money.

Good luck. :o

About half a year ago I checked the prospects for starting a big orange orchard here. Oranges are sold in the markets for about 25 baht per kilo (and much more in supermarkets). The farmer gets about 7 baht. It hardly covers the expenses.

No strong farmers unions in Thailand, which means they get very low prices from traders. You need to have your own outlet/distribution system to make profit.

However, situation may be different for live stock. Meet with farmers, traders and do your research.

Edited by ~G~

Hey man, another taff, well done, lets start a Rugby team, and start selling daffodils around the bars of thailand, get rid of those red roses. haha.

lol Thaicoon. It's about time we won something it's been too long. It's just a shame they have the world cup for another two years. Anyway when the time comes we'll have that too. :o

When you say farming could you be a little more specific. cattle? dairy? crops? opium (only jking sir)? any other job that might be considered farming?

Anything to do with Agriculture unless you can do it through a company set up.

Talk to Indo-Siam & Sunbelt, 2 of the forum sponsors.

When you say farming could you be a little more specific. cattle? dairy? crops? opium (only jking sir)? any other job that might be considered farming?

Anything to do with Agriculture unless you can do it through a company set up.

Talk to Indo-Siam & Sunbelt, 2 of the forum sponsors.

Ah o.k i see. would breeding sheep for their wool be considered agriculture in Thailand? lol, obviously the want, which was highlighted in an earlier post, for woolly jumpers and bobble hats must be great given this countries climate!

哟u realy need to analyse the market and start your own niche market that the thais havent spotted yet because they are not globally aware.

as for replicating an existing market forget it .

however locals might not like you upstaging them and making money ,

at their own game.

if you think rural wales is boring rural issan is worse