Obscene Profits

My bill from Samui's largest hospital for 50 x 40mg tablets Lasix and 50 x 60 mg Aspirin, total Baht 1260

My bill from Muangthong Thani Pharmacy, Bangkok for the same as above, Baht 350.

:) The airline must be really hurting !

My bill from Samui's largest hospital for 50 x 40mg tablets Lasix and 50 x 60 mg Aspirin, total Baht 1260

My bill from Muangthong Thani Pharmacy, Bangkok for the same as above, Baht 350.

:) The airline must be really hurting !

The rest are not much behind them either & the so called franchised pharmacies are a joke on the island.

"Free market enterprise"

did somebody get something wrong here?

Definitely someone is taking advantage, if it's 10% cheaper then in Europe,

Aus or US customer still has won!

TiT!

Always ask first - the consumer/customer has choices too!

Edited by Samuian

"Free market enterprise"

TiT!

Strange reasoning there Samuian :) .Free enterprise is great, in a competitive environment. Bleeding dry a captive market isn't .

To me it's called something else . But then we have the choice, don't we?

And please advise if we are describing the same medicine. Eg imported in foil pack imported but in loose form, locally manafactured but licenced in foil, locally manafactured and licenced bulk or generic unbranded.

Edited by harrry

And please advise if we are describing the same medicine. Eg imported in foil pack imported but in loose form, locally manafactured but licenced in foil, locally manafactured and licenced bulk or generic unbranded.

Same medicine that I buy here, buy in Bangkok for 3 months supply I save over 6,000 Bht. Same manufacturer, same packet.

Give you another simple example as not to confuse the issue with brands & the such.

A packet of Myracid 14 Capsules.

Walked in a pharmacy touristy area Bangkok 70 Bht.

Cheapest on Samui, Tesco lotus pharmacy....92 Bht

Normal price in all other pharmacies & Hospitals ... 130 to 180 Bht.

Free enterprise rocks.

I have a T-bone steak in the freezer I bought at Tesco for 93.50 baht.

The same steak might cost 250 baht at one of the many restaurants in Lamai.

At The Cliff, the same steak might cost 800 baht.

Why would anyone think that medicines sold in a hospital would be the same cost as at the local pharmacy?

I have a T-bone steak in the freezer I bought at Tesco for 93.50 baht.

The same steak might cost 250 baht at one of the many restaurants in Lamai.

At The Cliff, the same steak might cost 800 baht.

Why would anyone think that medicines sold in a hospital would be the same cost as at the local pharmacy?

Comparing it to buying a steak is not really fair.Compare apples with apples or steak with steak in this instance.Buying the actual item.

When you go to hospital, it's not free. You pay for consultation & all incidentals too.The point is Mark, they prescribe & in a lot of cases over prescribe & you really don't have the choice, because you are bluffed into taking the meds when you are paying your bill.

Pharmacies here are still cheaper in a lot of cases in comparison to BKK International.

:D The airline must be really hurting !

Oh come on!

The "international" hospital has to keep it's marble floors polished. :)

What is Myracid? It doesn't turn up on Google.

Sorry, I was using an analogy, and as Wiki so nicely put it: "Analogies are sometimes used to persuade those that cannot detect (the) flawed or non-existent arguments."

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I should say that different places charge differently for similar or the same items. Food (containing beneficial chemicals much like certain components in drugs -- aspirin was mentioned and is a familiar example) costs vary according to the place of purchase. Drug costs vary from pharmacy to pharmacy, and from hospital to hospital.

Also, I have never been forced to buy medicines at the hospital pharmacies (either here or in Taiwan). It is not bundled into the total fee unless they are administered as part of treatment on site at the hospital. To be clear, when you are prescribed medicines that you will be taking after leaving the hospital, you can opt to take the prescription outside and have it filled anywhere you want. If the medicines are particularly unusual, you can always come back to the hospital and purchase just those you cannot find outside. This is not speculation on my part; I have done this here.

I think people have the incorrect impression that when you are given a prescription in a hospital, you must have it filled there. This isn't the case.

The rest are not much behind them either & the so called franchised pharmacies are a joke on the island.

The prices marked on the items, generally, bear no relation to the actual prices. I have refused to pay the marked prices and haggle. It takes a spot of hunting but can usually find a pharmacy which will charge according to the computer; eg 175 baht for some pills showed a price of 60 baht on the screen

P.S. Anyone know an honest (for Samui anyway) pharmacy. Have found one in Bangrak (100yds before Lord Nelson coming from Bophut) to be better than many

What is Myracid? It doesn't turn up on Google.

Sorry, I was using an analogy, and as Wiki so nicely put it: "Analogies are sometimes used to persuade those that cannot detect (the) flawed or non-existent arguments."

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I should say that different places charge differently for similar or the same items. Food (containing beneficial chemicals much like certain components in drugs -- aspirin was mentioned and is a familiar example) costs vary according to the place of purchase. Drug costs vary from pharmacy to pharmacy, and from hospital to hospital.

Also, I have never been forced to buy medicines at the hospital pharmacies (either here or in Taiwan). It is not bundled into the total fee unless they are administered as part of treatment on site at the hospital. To be clear, when you are prescribed medicines that you will be taking after leaving the hospital, you can opt to take the prescription outside and have it filled anywhere you want. If the medicines are particularly unusual, you can always come back to the hospital and purchase just those you cannot find outside. This is not speculation on my part; I have done this here.

I think people have the incorrect impression that when you are given a prescription in a hospital, you must have it filled there. This isn't the case.

My mistake Miracid

As for buying meds outside hosp, you are 100% correct. I said you get bluffed, which I did ,not anymore, but I used to think it had to be purchased there & maybe, just maybe cheaper.

:)

Ahem, no way of knowing. This hospital serves you the tablets loose in a small plastic bag and I know when you ask for the statin Zoccor, they only stock a much cheaper copy from India. Meanwhile have found a pharmacy in Mae Nam that sells for the same as my Bangkok supplier.

"Free market enterprise"

TiT!

Strange reasoning there Samuian :D .Free enterprise is great, in a competitive environment. Bleeding dry a captive market isn't .

:) Yep, like in Dr.Strangelove Episode xxxx.o4 ...and how I stopped worrying and love the...

As A Samui resident I am sure you are aware that there are choices.... and Bangkok-Samui Hospital for Aspirin and some Lasix... is like going to the Plaza Athenee for a glass of tap water or like in this other thread someone complains about the burger price in the Hard Rock Cafe...

Everybody hasa choice, some know how to take advantage of it - some don't and some refuse...but then it's everybody's choice!

Unfortunately I am a long time pill popper and had relationships with a major Bkk hospital. When I go to the hospital I have the blood tests to see if the pills are killing me too much - all the test about 8 add up to 1200bht - then I see th. doctor who asses me and reviews the blood test results. Then finally he reviews the medication and ask how many tables do I wont ie 1 month 2 month supply what ever - my response now is no thank you. Some of the drugs are available through a hospital, the rest come from high street Pharmacy ie look for the best price. How do I get the hospital only drugs cheap - answer get to know a nurse or doctor.

Some things you can do to cut costs for us ex pats with health insurance. When registering with a hospital tell them you live in Thailand and not a tourist. Always ask the doctor what the drugs are and what they are for. When you are prescribed a drug you are not familiar with go On-line and get the info. I and many people I know have been given the wrong instruction about when to take the drug. When you come to pay the hospital bill check to see if you are member(or can become a member) and receive an appropriate discount also pay cash because you may very well get a better discount.

The moral of my story is, when living abroad for a number of year you need to take control particularly of your own health, the internet is your best friend.

"Free market enterprise"

TiT!

Strange reasoning there Samuian :D .Free enterprise is great, in a competitive environment. Bleeding dry a captive market isn't .

:) Yep, like in Dr.Strangelove Episode xxxx.o4 ...and how I stopped worrying and love the...

As A Samui resident I am sure you are aware that there are choices.... and Bangkok-Samui Hospital for Aspirin and some Lasix... is like going to the Plaza Athenee for a glass of tap water or like in this other thread someone complains about the burger price in the Hard Rock Cafe...

Everybody hasa choice, some know how to take advantage of it - some don't and some refuse...but then it's everybody's choice!

:D Really.... ? Wow with a premise like that, you may as well go to a vet than a doctor (my secret is out).

Drugs prices are different on every market due to regulations and coverage from government programs....

I have still unopened a bottle of 500x325mg aspirin from Wallgreens San Francisco, 3,99USD plus tax.

In EU i think 5 (five) aspirin will cost 5euro....so.....

But in EU we pay less expensive stuff.....

In Asia the cost is secondary to the original packing, I leave to the chinese aspirin made in china....

The prices must vary depending on what you take I guess.

When I was on medication from Bankok Samui Hospital once a few years ago, I compared the prices with a local Pharmacy and the difference was only about 20 baht or less......certainly not enough to worry about, so I carried on getting them from the hospital.

HL :)

At the end of the day, if the people that are supposed to save your life & look after you, bleed you to death on cost. Well I suppose private sector, do what they like.

That sounds excessive:

It costs 10 euros — about $15 — for a package of 50 aspirins at the local drugstore in Bonn, Germany!

-- Where Aspirins Cost $15, NYT

Now you know how to pack for that trip home....

That sounds excessive:

It costs 10 euros — about $15 — for a package of 50 aspirins at the local drugstore in Bonn, Germany!

-- Where Aspirins Cost $15, NYT

Now you know how to pack for that trip home....

Germany very cheap......

In Italy farmacy still have a monopoly....

I remember the 5 apririn becouse at the time they were the brand new cardio type......

And anyway i never bought non prescription drugs in my country, cost in US is so low, last week Wallgreens was selling aspirin and ibuprofen at 1$ per bottle....

But Samui seems not cheap, i saw basic pain killers sold one by one instead of 100x bottle......

[quote name='Rooo' date='2009-10-02 23:48:11' post='3051119']

At the end of the day, if the people that are supposed to save your life & look after you, bleed you to death on cost. Well I suppose private sector, do what they like.

Roo and Mark, you are both correct. When you receive a prescription from the doctor, DON'T have it filled at the hospital pharmacy! Tesco Lotus is a good bet, but there are many other pharmacies with reasonable prices. Secondly, if you know a farang doctor or trusted Thai doctor, have them review the prescription. I usually accompany my friends to the hospital and then check their prescriptions (Sorry, don't have a Thai medical license and not available for consultations.) In one case, I found that the combination of drugs was not only harmful, but potentially lethal. Remember, medical malpractice is virtually unheard of in Thailand. So, buyer beware, but also be aware that the doctor might be harmful to your health! Not to end on a sour note, as I know many doctors here and in Bangkok, and most of them are good people who will do their best for their patients.