Can't Get That Around Here: Gyros W/tzatziki!

Michaelaway

Hi,

We live in Jomtien, outside of Pattaya, and there's a lot of foods I used to love (East coast American), that I never see now that I live in Thailand. This category is dedicated to trying to recreate those taste experiences using ingredients that are readily available where we now live...

So, in the category of CAN'T GET THAT AROUND HERE,

Here's:

GYROS & TZATZIKI SAUCE-

SAUCE

GYROS

• 1/2 lb Ground lamb
  • 1/2 lb Ground beef
  • 2 slices of Bread
  • 3 tb Fresh parsley; chopped
  • 3 tb Fresh cilantro; chopped (optional)
  • 5 Garlic cloves; minced
  • 1 ts Salt
  • 1/2 ts Ground Pepper
  • 1/2 ts Ground Oregano
  • 3/4 ts Ground Cumin
  • 3/4 ts Ground Rosemary
  • 1 Egg; beaten
  • 6 Pita-bread rounds
  • 6 Green onions
  • 12 Greek, green or black olives
  • Chopped tomatoes
  • Sliced avocados

TZATZIKI SAUCE-

Combine oil, vinegar, sugar and salt. Whisk or blender until thickened and smooth. Pour into a bowl. Stir in yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill & parsley. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.

GYROS-

Combine lamb and beef in a medium bowl. Tear white-bread slices in pieces. Place in a blender or food processor. Process to fine crumbs. Add bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin and rosemary to meat mixture. Add egg and mix all ingredients together by hand. Preheat oven to 375~. Form meat into torpedoes or oval patties, about 4" long. Bake until brown. Warm pita bread in oven as meat finishes cooking. After meat cools, slice & roll into pita bread to make Gyros sandwich. Add: Tzatziki sauce, sliced scallions, chopped tomatoes, onions, olives, avocado, feta... whoa!

I bought lamb, beef, bread, yogurt and avocado at Foodland, Jomtien. All fresh vegetables came from the local market at the top of Jomtien, Soi 7. Already had the spices & olive oil. Beautiful, soft, fresh-baked pita bread is available every day in Pattaya at Friendship, while Villa Market sells small, frozed pitas.

This was a very inexpensive meal to prepare, and came out super. This recipe makes enough for days of gyros wraps!! And, both the bread and the gyros freeze like champions in zip-lock bags. If it sounds good, and anyone decides to try, please lemme know what you think! Good luck, farang!

:)