Koh Phangan Accomodation

can anyone suggest somewhere nice in KP to stay for a week in Decemeber? , not to fussed about the room, as long as it has A/C , by the beach and has a pool. looking to spend about 1k a night ......

cheers

boater

Hey Boater

Unless you are between 18 and 25 you will hate Haad Rinn. Think spring break, but all year round.

KPG accommodation is generally well overpriced. www.phangan.info has the most comprehensive list of accommodation options.

If you want to experience KPG at its best try either Thong Nai Pan or Haad Yao. Both have great swimming beaches and are pretty relaxed. In Thong Nai Pan Noi 'Star Huts' has a few a few bungalows with air-con right on the beach. Best deal in the area at just over 1,000 a night, although book now as they sell out pretty quick. No pool, but the sea is about 20 metres away.

Bantai has some good accommodation, but you can't swim there.

If you want to step back in time to the original 'Phangan' feel (just a few hippies) try Than Sadet. Absolutely beautiful. No amenities, but also no noise and no tw*ts.

If you were considering any time around New Years I suggest booking now.

Haad Salad is nice, has some friendly places. Haad Yao is pretty overdeveloped IMO, but then that could be because I remember what it was like when there were still some empty spots on the beach.

Than Sadet is gorgeous, last time I was there there was no cell phone reception, but perhaps they've put in a tower now. Pretty basic still I think, but one of the top places to stay on the island.

If you were considering any time around New Years I suggest booking now.

Haad Salad is nice, has some friendly places. Haad Yao is pretty overdeveloped IMO, but then that could be because I remember what it was like when there were still some empty spots on the beach.

Than Sadet is gorgeous, last time I was there there was no cell phone reception, but perhaps they've put in a tower now. Pretty basic still I think, but one of the top places to stay on the island.

Completely agree with you SBK...

... about Thansadet, "Mai Pen Rai": that was our weekend hangout, when we were living in Hing Kong :D

Regarding Had'lad & Yao: sometime I fell ashamed that during these times -working as a hospitality consultant- I might be a part of the damage done :)

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest any bungalows on Ao Sri Thanu ? I used to live on Haad Yao beach for 6 months in 1996, and ran a small bar there, the only one on the beach at the time. However I was shocked to see how developed Haad Yao beach has become when I passed through there about 4 years ago. So am looking for something quieter and more basic, as it was back in 93 to 96 when I used to visit a lot.

Many Thanks

Does anyone know if Bayview Haad Yao has been sold or under new management, I read a while back that it was up for sale.

Not sure if it's been sold or not maithai99 but I hope that whoever buys it has the sense to knock that eyesore of a hotel.

Wishful thinking I guess.

Mae Haad Beach.. (look for Ko Ma, on a map) has a number of bungalows ... nice quite beach, several resorts... my favourite is Island View Cabana... they have done upgrades this year... No swimming pool, but there's a big sea at your door step. Wang Sai Resort, is nice too... (next to Island View, to the south) .

If you rent a motor bike in the area, use Nawin Store on the "main street" ... he won't rip you off!

Definitely avoid Haad Rin unless you are party animals!

Some of the beaches suggested too are good.... On north, West or East sides of the island....

The eastern beaches a little harder to get too, sometimes have to do by boat.... but very quiet & beautiful!

Edited by samuijimmy

The Milky Bay is my favourite resort on KP, but may be just above your budget in December.

The Sanctuary is a nice new age alternative, although a little bit secluded.

The couple that run the Blue lotus are very nice people, and it's right there on the beach between Had Rin and Thong Sala.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Does anyone know if Bayview Haad Yao has been sold or under new management, I read a while back that it was up for sale.

many are for sale (lease) here on this side (west coast)!! But still on the high level. Many have changed the owner just recently.

Can anyone suggest any bungalows on Ao Sri Thanu ? I used to live on Haad Yao beach for 6 months in 1996, and ran a small bar there, the only one on the beach at the time. However I was shocked to see how developed Haad Yao beach has become when I passed through there about 4 years ago. So am looking for something quieter and more basic, as it was back in 93 to 96 when I used to visit a lot.

Many Thanks

very laid back is the "Golden Rock" (Bovi Beach) back to the 90's and Had Chaopao Bungalows at the Had Chaopao Beach. Golden Rock is near the Agama Yoga school, so many yogi's there. Jinda Bay was cool too, but already split to 2 resorts, since 1 month. The new part is now Benjamin's Hut, at the upper end of the beach. Jinda Bay remain the 9 upper bungalows and the shop.