Language Schools (thai) Bkk+pty

bangkokburning

Living in Pattaya a number of years my Thai has become embarrassingly poor. I would like to enroll in a serious course for study. Here are my criteria...

*I am a dabbler in languages - about four. It does not come easy, at my age.

1. I would like to stay in Pattaya (need the ocean) but will move up to BKK if need be.

2. I am -speaking wise, beyond beginner but nowhere close to intermediate.

3. Visa assistance would be nice, but I go back to states annually and can get a double there so I don't wish to spend stupid money for an ED visa.

4. I want to study for six months - Nov...and then start again in May/June 2010 for 10 months.

5. I am univ grad, good school, good grades and take learning seriously. I want a school/teacher that has this attitude.

6. I do not want to pay some silly sum of money for a years lessons advance - I have no idea where this school will be (or quality of staff) tomorrow. Monthly fees. Anything else is bordering scam. Like the Gym that signs you up for a year or three contract :-)

7. Prefer schools that have students sitting for govt exams. From what I have read and for whatever reason it appears that Walen has few or no students despite being most expensive. Small classes.

8. There is/was a school in BKK which some teachers from Union started (UNITY?).The Unity sitemap notes 2005 calendar!

9. What is the cost for a quality program +/-, daily or 3x weekly courses one hour or ninety mins?

10. Can any clever person, that has serious command of Thai language recommend Pro Language on Pattaya Klang?

11. Any private teachers that can take me from A-Z in academic/serious manner-method within central Pattaya?

12. How do leaves of absence usually work? Are you SOL or will some schools allow make up classes?

*My method for learning is purely phonetic. I would rather vocabulary, pronunciation, idioms...than learn to read. Given the atmosphere in Thailand these years, seems a big commitment. Having said that, if the school only teaches this way and is tops, I am OK with that.

Thank you. I will not ask any further questions unless I need clarification. I know much of this gets asked routinely.

Edited by bangkokburning

After I finished 6 months at Chula I checked out Pro Language in Bangkok and really like it.. their curriculum contains mostly all the same things, but it is just a less-intense program than Chula's. You can also get a private tutor there if you prefer, I was to say it was like 100,000 for a year for a private tutor? I don't remember how many session that contained.

thanks. i called thong-lor and piammitr. i will call pro language as well. i have read some good things abt them. i think im going to go with the latter for six months - or if/until issues pop up. i might have a look at unity although i have read abt 'dated materials' - which seems to be universal complaint.

seems like every school has mentions of pros-cons and its really confusing.

also seems like staff is 100% female -"suay mak" ... ~ thanks but im looking for a teacher, not a date. worried about speaking like a woman (tones).

im here in pattaya but after last night, i think its time to move on. place has vastly changed and not for better. bkk does not have the ocean but i can deal. many things to do and cha-am is a few hours as pattaya.