Curry Recipes?

HalfSquat

In the UK most Thai places I went to served the red, yellow or green coconut curries. These were quite creamy and coconut-milky.

In Thailand I have seen curries that are not milky and are more thick, usually just the meat/veg and a bit of sauce.

The menus normally list these as 'fried chicken red curry' or just 'red chicken curry'.

Has anyone got any recipes for this kind of curry?

When I do a Google search I seem to only get the first coconutty/milky ones.

I'm not sure if the second type use coconut or not but even if they do they are still more pasty rather than milky.

Thanks.

Fried curry is something else, not Panaeng.

A bit of oil, add meat to the wok. A spoonful of curry paste (red) and cook it up, adding quick cooking vegetables later. A dash of soy sauce for taste. You can add some milk or water to it as it cooks but let it cook down a bit.

The photo below is Fried curry pork with green beans (pat pet moo)

post-4641-1255320376_thumb.jpg

Fried curry is something else, not Panaeng.

A bit of oil, add meat to the wok. A spoonful of curry paste (red) and cook it up, adding quick cooking vegetables later. A dash of soy sauce for taste. You can add some milk or water to it as it cooks but let it cook down a bit.

The photo below is Fried curry pork with green beans (pat pet moo)

post-4641-1255320376_thumb.jpg

didn't know you were a chef, perhaps moving the ashtray out the photo next time may make it more appetizing :) jk

Ah ok i think i know wot u meant its called "moo pad prick keang" without coconut milk

Ingredients

1. red curry

2. oil

3. pork/chicken/beef

4. long bean or baby corn

5. sugar

6. fish sauce or soy sauce

7. red chilli

8. oyster sauce

9. fresh garlic

When the pan is extremely hot pour in the oil and follow with fresh garlic, red curry and meat When the meat is cooked then Add all vegetables Add the fish sauce, sugar, oyster sauce and soy sauce and stir for 3 more minutes.

Some people like to add a fried egg on top of rice. If you do, add 2 teaspoons of oil, crack the egg and fry until the egg white is crispy Serve hot with jasmine rice.

Tips : Careful dont put too much fish sauce or it will be salty or if u guys dont like fish sauce can put soy sauce instead.

post-84154-1255360722.jpg

post-84154-1255360742.jpg

post-84154-1255360754.jpg

post-84154-1255360766.jpg

post-84154-1255360782.jpg

post-84154-1255360796.jpg

post-84154-1255360824.jpg

post-84154-1255360834.jpg

Edited by kitiya1980

That looks lush!

So is the paneng (red curry) with coconut?

No, without coconut.

Depends on the chef and the region!

there are "Paneng" with Coconut"Milk" and there are the dry ones "Gaeng Pat Ped"

for about 2 servings:

2 tablespoons sugar (PREFAREABLE Palm sugar!!!!)

4 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons fish sauce

1 1/2 tablespoon red curry paste (or to liking)

1 cup coconut milk

1 lb beef, sliced

Pour 1/2 of the coconut milk in a pan over medium heat. Add curry paste and break it up to mix it with coconut milk. Keep stirring to prevent bottom from sticking. Lower the heat to simmer if necessary. Simmer until red oil appears. Add the beef and stir to coat the beef with the curry paste. Add sugar, fish sauce and the rest of coconut milk. Let it simmer until the beef is tender and the liquid is reduced to a thick sauce. It should take about half an hour to an hour depending on your heat. Add water if your beef is still tough and let the liquid reduce.

Sprinkle the sliced kaffir lime leaves on top. Serve hot and thinly sliced Garden Chili - Pik suan (the about finger or larger then finger sized red ones)!

Same with the Massaman Curry here on Samui, Surat, Nakorn Si one will

encounter a Massman Curry which doesn't resemble anything close to a "massaman"in Bkk!

"lellow, Led and green Curry" are Farang terms - Thai do NOT refer to "red curry" or "yellow", nor "green"!

For those interested try: "Kaeng Khua Subparod Sai Hoi" (Bangkok Chonburi, Pak Nam Area)

Edited by Samuian