25,000-30,000 To Spend On Amd Setup - But Which One ?

JustAnotherFarang

Hi guys

I previously posted a similiar thread about wanting to replace my old powerful 5yr old laptop with a desktop unit. I got some good leads to follow up on but I have decided not to bother with the intel chips this time around and will choose one from the AMD range. I will mostly use it for graphic design, a little video editing and gaming in my freetime.

So with an increased budget of 25,000 -30,000 bht, would someone suggest an AMD chip and mainboard setup that I can have put together by the nice guys at Thanni. I dont need to buy a monitor, keyboard or mouse etc etc but I will need pretty much everything else including a good graphics card, 1TB harddisk, dvd drive, UPS, psu etc etc included in the overall cost

What unit or components would you guys reckon I should buy ?

Many thanks once again for your time and sound advice guys

JAF

CPU - X4 955Be = 7,680.00 บาท

Mainboard - BioStar TA780G M2+ AMD 780G/SB700 = 2,180.00 บาท

Rams/Memory = Corsair Value Select 2GB DDR2 800 PC2-6400 x 2 = 2,580.00 บาท

Hard Drive = Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache S-ATA II NCQ Hard Disk Drive = 2,780.00 บาท

Graphic card = XFX GeForce GTX 275 896MB DDR3 448-bit Dual DVI HDTV PCI-E 2.0 Retail = 9,380.00 บาท

DVD/rw = LG GH22NS 22x22 DVD Writer w/ 16x16 DL 12x DVD-RAM S-ATA Retail = 810.00 บาท

Power Supply = Scythe GouRiki 600w ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply = 2,230.00 บาท

Casing = Any casing to ur liking = Below 1,800 บาท

Total = 29,440 บาท

For UPS don't know much cause i never used them. Power never goes out in my condo so never bought 1.

The AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Black Edition) is an excellent choice, albeit somewhat pricey...

For a cheaper alternative, take a look at the AMD Athlon II X4 620.

Cheers SuperNova

I checked out the reviews and I am impressed but the X4 955 and the excellent graphics card Space Munk recommended seem worthy components in tandem together.

It seems the only problem with the X4 620 is that its not really suitable towards gaming but would it be suitable if I paired it up with a superior graphics card ?

JAF

Edited by JustAnotherFarang

The AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Black Edition) is an excellent choice, albeit somewhat pricey...

Cheers SuperNova

I checked out the reviews and I am impressed but the X4 955 and the excellent graphics card Space Munk recommended seem worthy components in tandem together.

It seems the only problem with the X4 620 is that its not really suitable towards gaming but would it be suitable if I paired it up with a superior graphics card ?

JAF

IF you have $$ to spend, might as well get the X4 955. The X4 955BE is also on my wish-list, but I haven't gotten around to building a new rig yet...

The X4 955 is more powerful and better for gaming. Phenom II processors have an L3 cache whereas the Athlon II X4 doesn't. Having L3 cache makes all the difference - Athlon II X4 620 vs Phenom II X4 955. All I can say is, do your 'homework'. Read the reviews and draw up your own conclusions. This is the best advice I can give you.

Cheers SuperNova

JAF

IF you have $$ to spend, might as well get the X4 955. The X4 955BE is also on my wish-list, but I haven't gotten around to building a new rig yet...

The X4 955 is more powerful and better for gaming. Phenom II processors have an L3 cache whereas the Athlon II X4 doesn't. Having L3 cache makes all the difference - Athlon II X4 620 vs Phenom II X4 955. All I can say is, do your 'homework'. Read the reviews and draw up your own conclusions. This is the best advice I can give you.

Its great advice and thank you once again for your contribution............. I will go off and research the facts

JAF

I purchased my system from them, they don’t have any phone number. With my experience, I just order them online then received a order confirmation mail (next day) asked me to deposit the ordered amount into their account. (which I did) and then, they told me (next day) that the CPU (amd phenom II X2 550) was not available and they asked me to replace the item with some other one, but I was interested in just that one, so asked them to send me remaning order. And they did sent all my required items except the CPU, and refund the CPU (as cash, put the money into my mailed package).

All of my conversation was done by just Email, as they don’t have or might be dont wants to publish their phone numbers. (I don’t know why)

But over all they are good in service, although it took me around 10 days to received my order. But that’s just me, because I order them for the following.

Main board, VGA card, RAM. Power supply, casing. (I made the system by myself)

Important thing: if you are going to buy a AMD machine, I suggest you to first get some info of the processor, I was talking about, (already sold out at thanni)

That’s a X2 cpu with 3.1 GHz, however you can activate its other 2 cores by just updating a small firmware of main board. And you can have X4 3.1 GHz, in the prize of X2. ( I did mine and its flawlessly easy) I could not believe it to be that easy. Remember, its not Over clocking at all, but just a trick to activate other 2 cores which AMD disabled.

Only be done with BLACK edition. Click HERE to check it by yourself.

my X4 3.1 GHz with 2 Gb of Ram cost me around 18000 Baht. Right info with right hardwares = Reward :)

That’s a X2 cpu with 3.1 GHz, however you can activate its other 2 cores by just updating a small firmware of main board. And you can have X4 3.1 GHz, in the prize of X2. ( I did mine and its flawlessly easy) I could not believe it to be that easy. Remember, its not Over clocking at all, but just a trick to activate other 2 cores which AMD disabled.

Only be done with BLACK edition. Click HERE to check it by yourself.

Unfortunately it seems a number of users have found that unlocking to be unreliable if not damaging, according to the link you gave.

unlocking the 550Be is old news.

unlocking for prolong use wasnt tested by benchers.

overclockers who have unlocked the 550Be sold the procs just after they have tested it.

its still not known if prolong usage of unlocked cores will determine shortened lifespan of the proc.

thats why i got my X4 940 many months ago instead.

Shortened lifespan is not the question here, as it’s not overclocking at all; anyway, I am not defending that trick for quad core ability. I said I did mine (some 2 months ago) and it is working absolute till now. If someone interested, Google is always there.

And I repeat, unlocking 550 is is a piece of cake; don’t need any skills to do that. Anyway, I am not going to hijack the thread.

I was talking about Thanni services. Hope it help.

Thanks

Shortened lifespan is not the question here, as it’s not overclocking at all; anyway, I am not defending that trick for quad core ability. I said I did mine (some 2 months ago) and it is working absolute till now. If someone interested, Google is always there.

And I repeat, unlocking 550 is is a piece of cake; don’t need any skills to do that. Anyway, I am not going to hijack the thread.

Thanks

Thanks for the info although I am not too certain I want to follow that path for fear I will be disappointed so for now I will err on the side of caution and pay the extra

As for Thanni, it has to be said that not having a phone number to contact them is rather unnerving. They have contacted me to say that there is no one to put the machine together for me as there is no technical department at the moment !!!! So I can pay up front and hope for the best or try someone else

So I tried Shop 4 Thai and I have to say I am equally disappointed. I faxed them through a list of the parts that Space Munk had recommended and asked if they could price match the components. 2 hours later they got back to me with a link that led to a HP preassembled machine that they recommended. When my wife rang them to explain it was not what I wanted, they told her they didnt have some of the parts............. but didnt say which parts they didnt have........... poor service to say the least

Tomorrow is another day, I will try again

JAF

Yes you can activate those cores, but there is a reason they are shut down, they are unstable. When intel or amd makes a wafer with many chips on it, some are great some are good and some are discarded, but instead of discarding good silicon they just shut down the unstable cores, x-3 come to mind ?

@JustAnotherFaran...

My friend, As I already mentioned, the Thanni Service is so strange, even they don’t have a Single phone number on their website.

Fact of the matter is, I ordered, received confirmation, and the same day transfer the amount into Thanni’s account. And the next day when found their reply, that CPU is not available, at this time, I realize to talk to them on phone , visited their website and was very upset for not to find any phone or fax numbers.

YES their service is not up to mark, seems not professionals to me, yet I must say, they sent me all my ordered hardware’s along with refund of that CPU.

“Shop 4 Thai” seems more expensive, some of the items are way to high prize than the market. Maybe they did not update their web page regular.

regards

Thanks

Thanks for the info although I am not too certain I want to follow that path for fear I will be disappointed so for now I will err on the side of caution and pay the extra

As for Thanni, it has to be said that not having a phone number to contact them is rather unnerving. They have contacted me to say that there is no one to put the machine together for me as there is no technical department at the moment !!!! So I can pay up front and hope for the best or try someone else

So I tried Shop 4 Thai and I have to say I am equally disappointed. I faxed them through a list of the parts that Space Munk had recommended and asked if they could price match the components. 2 hours later they got back to me with a link that led to a HP preassembled machine that they recommended. When my wife rang them to explain it was not what I wanted, they told her they didnt have some of the parts............. but didnt say which parts they didnt have........... poor service to say the least

JAF

sorry to hear that they dont actually assemble components.

actually you could try JEDIcool. Im pretty sure they have all the parts and will assemble the system for you. You can actually give them a call and check if they have the parts.

Thanks

JAF

sorry to hear that they dont actually assemble components.

actually you could try JEDIcool. Im pretty sure they have all the parts and will assemble the system for you. You can actually give them a call and check if they have the parts.

Hi Space Munk

Well I corresponded with Thanni this morning, by email of course and they say they have all the items in stock. But after reading a few negative things online here about Thanni, along with the fact that they cannot assemble the machine for me, I have rather lost interest in their service right now

As it happens I was on that JediCools website last night so I shall give them a ring and see if they can give me a better service

Once more, I doff my cap Space Munk in gratitude

JAF