Router Connects

joka

thank god for the rain!

this is the problem i am having now, and can't figure it out after two days. the router connects, but the browsers or apps wont find the server.

i've gone through all the port forwarding things that i can think of, thanks to monty on the site he found for my router. but still no luck.

this is tot adsl, slivercyber, with xavi x8124r router. Windows xp sp1.

the tech said i need to put a clean install of windows, think this would make any difference? i uninstalled the firewall, rebooted a few times, but port scans at grc.com still show blocked and stealthed ports.

john

Clean install of windows is just a tech that is too lazy or simply cant ddebug the problem... Your probably blocked on ports as the ADSL modem / router may well be providing hardware firewall settings..

Describe in a bit more detail.. When you say router connects I assume you mean the ADSL modem connects to the line.. Establishes hardware connection, authenticates your username and pass ?? Then however you are still not getting online ??

One idea.. Have you got the correct DNS settings ?? If not all IP lookups on names would fail, would seem like your online but not acccessing any pages.. Try going to (or pinging) 216.239.37.99 thats a Google IP and would work without DNS working..

Also I have recently found out some DNS settings for the xxxxcyber packages

The info I have is in thai but looking at speeds I assume the DNS settings are for bronze to gold in this order..

Bronze

Primary 203.121.130.39

Secondary 203121.130.40

Silver

Primary 203.155.33.2

Secondary 202.44.144.34

Gold

Primary 202.44.202.3

Secondary 203.150.213.1

Looks like a complete miss mash of IP's in no logical order but hey TiT !!!

Bear in mind all the writing I have with this is in Thai so could be wrong on the package speeds first one is just Thai script but second one is 256/128 and last one is 1024/256 (Gold speed)..

Do you get any error messages like 769 or 56?

Also, go to your network settings (control panel) and open. The connection should say connected if you are indeed connected. Right click on the icon, go to properties, advanced and turn off your XP firewall setting. Restart your system. Try to reconnect. Then report if your connection status changes.

;0)

Make sure the router doesn't have mac address filters enabled. Try re-setting your router (should be instructions on it in your manual) before re-installing windows which won't do a thing.

Your isp may want you to register the mac address of your PC before it is allowed to access their network. By cloning the router's mac address you can get around this.

cv

LOS

the router doesn't need a sign in , or authentication, per se, the same as the modem. once it is configured properly, it is automatic. you know you are connected when you get a steady light on the router, or look at the LAN properties.

i tried the DNS thing, didn't work.

i to think the tech doesn't know too much about this router (or any routers), he is reluctant to return and look at it. he brought another computer to the home before when the tot adsl modem wouldn't work, to see if he could connect with it (he couldn't), but now he doesn't want to try another computer with this router.

The Router definitely does need a sign in which is

phone-number@goldcyber (or silvercyber etc)

Password is also your phone number.

The DNS side should happen automatically. Make sure the router is configured to pick up dns automatically.

Make sure the PC is getting the ip and dns from the router.

Status should show you are connected as ppoe.

There should be an adsl status page for the router showing data like this.

Line State - Connected

Modulation - Multi-mode

Annex - Mode ANNEX_A

Max Tx Power - -38 dBm/Hz

Look at the adsl statistics, you should see packets going to and from the router.

My DSL G604 has a test page which gives a useful idea of how far you are really connected.

I had a problem initially where there was no connection at the ATM level.

It took several calls to TOT in Bangkok to get that sorted, then it all worked.

Their fault!!

cdnvic,

if mac filters are enabled, can't find a place to that says so. there is a mac address 00:01:38:xx:xx:xx. not sure if i can disable it.

LOS , have entered those DNS addresses, will see if that does anything.

Testing Connectivity to modem

Testing Ethernet connection PASS Help

Testing ADSL line for sync PASS Help

Testing Ethernet connection to ATM PASS Help

Testing Telco Connectivity

Testing ATM OAM segment ping PASS Help

Testing ATM OAM end to end ping PASS Help

Testing ISP Connectivity

Testing PPPoE server connectivity PASS Help

Testing PPPoE server session PASS Help

this is as far as i get

Testing authentication with server FAIL Help ..this is PPP authentication, helps says check security... is this the logon, or is the server failing to recognize me?

I tried this with automatic dns settings, and with manually entered ones, same results.

Validating assigned IP address 0.0.0.0 FAIL Help

Testing Internet Connectivity

Ping default gateway 0.0.0.0 FAIL Help

Ping Primary Domain Name Server FAIL Help

Query DNS for www.globespanvirata.com FAIL Help

Ping www.globespanvirata.com FAIL Help

Copyright © 2001-2003 GlobespanVirata, Inc. All rights reserved.

You most certainly do need to enter your login details with Thai ISP's...

From the log it looks clearly like you have the line working but not authenticating with the server.. Try setting up your username and password as a PPPoE LLC and PAP login..

LOS, not sure how to sign in as a PPoE LLC or PAP . but the regular login is correct. in the telnet window, it says the IP server won't authenticate. So i think the tech hasn't made the right arrangements with the server, i.e. ,called them and told them i 'm authorized to access the server?

There are 2 settings called the vpi and vci. If these are not correct your router or modem will not work. For true the values are 0 and 100, for Loxinfo they are 0 and 35. The free modems for these companies are preset, but routers you buy yourself are not preset to the correct values. I have seen this problem 8 or 9 times with friends. Before you go any further you chould check these values - first getting the correct values from your ISP, and then finding them in the router settings. Not using tot I can't tell you the correct values, and not using the same router as you, I cannot tell you how to access the settings - contact the manufacturer if you can't find them.

does anyone know the ip for tot adsl? i look at the router config and its blank, but in the ip route table it shows the destination as 127.0.0.0.

WAN INTERFACE

Interface Encapsulation IP Address Mask Gateway Lower Interface VPI/

ppp-0 ppoe 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 aal5-0 1/3

I tried cloning the MAC address, that didn't work.

Here is the IP route table

Destination Netmask NextHop

127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1

192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

192.168.1.1 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1

192.168.1.2 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1

Edited by joka

Joka,

what can you see on the home page from your router?

You should see on the left some specs from your router, serialnr. etc.

On the right it should give the adsl line status and speed (e.g 256/128). Operational status should show a green ball with Showtime/data next to it.

Below that you should see the WAN interfaces present.

The most important one is the PPP-0 interface. It should show your IP adress, the gateway IP, the VPI/VCI setting and a geen ball indicating you are authenticated by your ISP. My guess is you are missing the PPP-0 connection...

yes monty, the PPP-o connection is what is hanging me. as you can see from my previous post, there is no address in the IP address box, nor the mask and gateway. the speed does get posted at 512/256 when the router connects.

thanks again for the router webpage, very helpful, the guy got inundated with posts, i wasn't able to read them all, and couldn't figure out this problem through that page.

Joka,

Try to click on the quick configuration link on the routers homepage, the you'll see following screen. Fill everything in as per previuos instructions, including username and password.

Then click submit at the bottom of the page

viking2.JPG

A MAC address is a unique number assigned to a piece of hardware.

In this case we can use the MAC address of a network card and list it in the router to either give or deny access.

This is done often on wireless networks, you allow a certain known MAC address, and then that PC (Laptop) will have access to the network without having to give authentication credentials. Any other PC or laptop will not have access since its MAC address will not be in the "allowed" list in the router...

the MAC address is the same as your physical address. and my problem seems to be the MAC address in the router is not the same as the one in my computer. the MAC clone thing didn't work, trying to put the router number as my physical address wouldn't let me open the router configuration. I think the ISP needs to be told my real physical address.

Joka,

you cannot have two pieces of equipment with the same MAC address on a network!

The ISP would never need your physical address!!! If you would ever change PC, or even only replace your network card, you would end up with a different MAC address and no internet access!

Did you try the quick config, and what was the result?

If you still have the red ball in the PPP-0 connection, you can click on the PPP-0 (in red)

This will bring up a new screen with the PPP-0 details. Click on the magnifying glass at the righthand side and the you'll see more details, most important will be the "last fail cause"

Let me know whats in there!

If it says "auth failure" it'll probably means TOT hasn't activated your account yet.

As long as you have all those zero's, where your IP and gateway addresses are supposed to be, means that TOT (the ISP part) is not giving you access and is not assigning you an IP address.

thanks monty, just stepped out for dinner, new restaurant, one of those built over the pond jobs. nice night, good fish.

jonboy, no idea where to put the linksys mac number, though i think it is assigned to you, maybe you can't put it in.

ok, fail cause is vc down

Edited by joka

VC down...

wrong VCI/VPI setting or problem at the ISP's servers...

This happens with my ji-net every so often, but only lasts a couple of minutes...

You normally never need to play with MAC addresses. As said before, it mostly is only used to allow or deny certain computers (the machine, not the user since the MAC address is specific to hardware) on networks.

Jonboy, the Vonage router is a special beast altogether as I recall, since it has two regular phoneports on it so you can connect a regular phone and use that with Vonage's VOIP services...

I got one up and running for a friend and I certainly did not have to play with MAC adresses. The only problem was with him being on a shared internet connection so the correct ports had to be forwarded to his vonage box.