Tinting The Front Glass

sunny747

If there is a law against tinting the windshield it doesn't seem to be enforced. I have seen the windshields tinted as dark as the sides. For night time driving the dark tint will decrease forward visibility quite a bit, not very prudent. On the other hand, with dark tinted windshields, the BIB cannot see if the driver is using his mobile phone while driving.

BIB= Boys In Brown or police.

No, I don't think you'll have a problem, I've even seen windshields with the mirrored tint. I wouldn't tint the windshield any darker than the sides, or for safety reasons, a lesser tint on front for night driving visibility.

Yes agreed with metisdead. Seems to be no restrictions on tinting, but my advice is for safety reasons don't tint the front at all, and don't tint the front side windows more than 40%. It is illegal from where I am from also, so you can make eye contact with other drivers.

Thai's love the tinting because, yeah it's hot here, but it also saves them face when they drive so rudely and dangerously. If windshields and side front windows weren't tinted more than a few percent, the driving would be a bit less chaotic and dangerous IMHO.

Yes agreed with metisdead. Seems to be no restrictions on tinting, but my advice is for safety reasons don't tint the front at all, and don't tint the front side windows more than 40%. It is illegal from where I am from also, so you can make eye contact with other drivers.

Thai's love the tinting because, yeah it's hot here, but it also saves them face when they drive so rudely and dangerously. If windshields and side front windows weren't tinted more than a few percent, the driving would be a bit less chaotic and dangerous IMHO.

Tinting front window reduces visiblity very much in dark. When buying a new car I get all windows tinted for free, but I always ask to tint the front window only top 15-20cm to reduce heat. In dark I need max visibility to avoid accidents. There is also a clear film available suited for frontwindow to reduce heat, but this also reduces visibility and gives some glare from oncoming xenonlights

I use 60% on all other windows. This reduces visibility in mirrors in dark, so I need to open windows when reversing.

Black windows get hotter than silver tint.

Edit There is no legal limit in LOS for tinting any window. This law was removed like 5 years ago. However going to Malaysia, front and front side windows can not be tinted like in most of the world

Edited by katabeachbum

Tinting saved me money as well as cooling the car. Since i had it fitted i have not once been stopped by the police. The company that fitted mine recommended grey tint, 60% at the front and 80% at the rear. I am more than happy with that and have no visibility problems, (although i don't drive down country lanes at night).

The thing I like about side tints is sitting at a traffic junction and a couple of uni babes on a motorcycle next to you checking their hair out in the reflection of your window as you're leching inside.

My daughter: "Daddy, what are you looking at?"

Me: "Err.....that shop selling 99 baht plastic stools"

Believe some of the mirrored tints have metal in them which makes it difficult for your GPS to look through the front screen, in which case you will need an external antenna.

Believe some of the mirrored tints have metal in them which makes it difficult for your GPS to look through the front screen, in which case you will need an external antenna.

I belive all heat and 99%UV reflecting films have metal in them, thats what makes them reflective. Cheap films have no metal, but they also let most of the UV through and only the color (mostly black) reduces heat.

..i had it fitted i have not once been stopped by the police.....

Are you in Thailand? I thought we're all in agreement that your not breaking any law, so why would the BIB stop you?

You may, however, have problems renewing car registration when they inspect it.

Again, this contradicts what everyone is saying, that tint is not illegal. Can you cite your sources?

Are you in Thailand? I thought we're all in agreement that your not breaking any law, so why would the BIB stop you?

Before i had the tint i was occasionally stopped by the police for "speeding" or whatother offence they were in the mood to pick. Since having the tint they no longer know that it's a farang driver and i don't get stopped. My comment had nothing to do with the legality of the tint.

Before i had the tint i was occasionally stopped by the police for "speeding" or whatother offence they were in the mood to pick. Since having the tint they no longer know that it's a farang driver and i don't get stopped. My comment had nothing to do with the legality of the tint.

Ah ok, I see. That makes sense to me now. And of course your right, whether you are breaking a law has little connection to whether you get stopped and/or cited for something. I have said it many times, the RTP is wholly corrupt and have no interest whatsoever in public safety, unless there is major loss of face involved. Like every other government organization in this country, they are purely a money making extortion ring. Any public safety that occurs as a results in their actions is just by luck.

Edited by Scubabuddha

3 weekends ago i was passenger in a fully-tinted 4WD for a night trip Phuket-Khao Lak.

Driver either had much better night vision than me or had learnt to cope with restricted vision . . . I simply couldn't have driven at those speeds on those roads - were those bumps on the road or just another (tail-light-less) scooter we've run over? Was pleased we came back in daylight.

Similar to times I've been caught out on a bike with a tinted visor and my tinted prescription specs. Not recommended inmy humble op.

I'll never forget my 1st night in Thailand.

I was picked up at the airport by my Thai friend in his car at about 1.30am. We proceeded to go to Pattaya with a carload full of other people.

After a few minutes, I realised that I couldn't see clearly through the front windscreen. The worst thing was that we travelled at high speed (140km/h) & very close to the vehicle in front (tailgating). After a few "close encounters", I decided to close my eyes. I actually thought that I couldn't see properly because I was tired. I also thought that this was possibly my last night in Thailand.

In the morning & when we all got back into the car to go somewhere else, I realised that the windscreen was tinted. It wasn't greatly tinted but because of insects & dust on the outside of the windscreen, plus being smudgy/dirty inside, visibility was greatly minimised.

If there was ever an example of why front windscreens SHOULD NOT be covered with any form of film or tint, this was it.

DON'T TINT YOUR FRONT WINDSCREEN.

Recently bought a Car with tinted windows all-around.

Thought I was loosing my Night-vision, the first evening when it got dark, its dangerous, think I will have them change to a lighter tint on the windscreen when I come to Thail next time.

A side effect from the dark tint is that the cars "Automatic-hedlights" turns on in the slightest shadow during full daylight, like passing under a highway overpass... Annoying, cuz i like tha aut-lite, when i go into parking garages and tunnels.

Tommy

A side effect from the dark tint is that the cars "Automatic-hedlights" turns on in the slightest shadow during full daylight, like passing under a highway overpass... Annoying, cuz i like tha aut-lite, when i go into parking garages and tunnels.

You have tinted headlights?

BTW, don't bother signing your name to your posts. We all know it is you.

No but the light sensor is mounted on the dashboard...

Kind regards

Tommy

What a crazy idea. This makes people lazy. You'd be better off hiring a car to drive you everywhere...preferably a car with FULL MANUAL control of everything.

Oooh, I forgot, it also has automatic windshield wipers, they turn on when it rains, adjusts the speed to the amount of rainfall! :D

And by some kind of modern hokus-pokus, it changes gear by it self, lazy bugger needs me to put it in reverse though... :)

Maybe time to try something from this millenium? :D

Kind regards,

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1

You may, however, have problems renewing car registration when they inspect it.
On my wife's car the windshield has a light tint factory fitted, I had mirror tint's fitted to the rest of the glass all round - looks nice and is much cooler than it used to be. However left in the sun it still gets hot, paint work is a dark color.

When they checked the car last year for tax renewal there was no comment about the windows at all.

Yes, driving at night can be less easy, in particular seeing motorbikes running with no lights.

For the windshield I have seen many pickups and buses where the glass is tinted top and bottom with a clear band running across the middle.

HTH.

What a crazy idea. This makes people lazy. You'd be better off hiring a car to drive you everywhere...preferably a car with FULL MANUAL control of everything.

Oooh, I forgot, it also has automatic windshield wipers, they turn on when it rains, adjusts the speed to the amount of rainfall! :D

And by some kind of modern hokus-pokus, it changes gear by it self, lazy bugger needs me to put it in reverse though... :)

Maybe time to try something from this millenium? :D

Kind regards,

Tommy

yeah Tommy I too like all these auto stuff.

Add auto stereo volume increase with speed, auto stereo volume decrease when phone ringing, auto angle change for mirrors when reversing, auto aircon, auto rear viper when reverse (hatchback or stationwagon), cruisecontrol with radar, rearwindowcurtain auto when reversing, you name it.

The only autothing I dislike is ESP/VSC/stabilitycontrol when driving real fast, but it commes with an off-switch :D and I hate the EBD/ electronic brake distance, but to lazy to find out how to disconnect it.

Edited by katabeachbum

No problems when registering/renewing registration/taxing a car no matter how heavy the tint is.

As far as tinting the windscreen,why not?

As long as the tint is good quality and below 70% the driver should still have good visibility.Maybe refering to the cheap 500baht for the entire car tint,dont do it!