'new' Faces In The Political Dogpit

webfact

BETWEEN THE LINES

'New' faces in the political dogpit

By Kornchanok Raksaseri

[email protected]

Published on October 8, 2009

Several "new" players have taken up key roles in politics recently. They are Sondhi Limthongkul, who will lead the New Politics Party, Sonthi Boonyaratglin, of Matubhum Party, plus veteran Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, who returned to join Pheu Thai Party last week. Let's look at what they have in hand and how far they may progress.

We'll start with Chavalit, who has perhaps the most "promise" of the three. First, his party is the biggest and has backing from former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

The party also has strong support in the North and Northeast, with the most MP seats in the House.

And with veteran politician Snoh Thienthong saying he will quit politics, Pheu Thai is now trying to persuade Snoh's fol-lowers to join the party.

Earlier, Pheu Thai seemed to be weak and "headless" with no clear leader with Thaksin having fled abroad in fear of being jailed for corruption. Chavalit has now taken the helm, courtesy of Thaksin, with the aim to some-how strengthen the party and make it more united.

Chavalit claimed his return to politics was because he wanted to end rifts in Thai socie-ty. During the intense political strife over the past few years, the former Army chief has offered to mediate for national reconcilia-tion. He also has strong ties with politicians and senior military figures such as former deputy chief of the Internal Security Operations Command, General Pallop Pinmanee, and former Democrat MP and Senate speaker Manoonkrit Roopkachorn.

Chavalit, 77, has strong ties with Thaksin after almost 20 years in his political career. His New Aspiration Party merged with Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai in 2001 and some former NAP MPs are "still with" Pheu Thai. Indeed, Chavalit was a candidate to be People Power Party leader in late 2007 after Thai Rak Thai was dissolved. Although Samak Sundaravej eventually got the post and became PM, Chavalit was deputy pre-mier in charge of national security when Thaksin's brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat succeeded Samak.

But he quit soon later after the govern-ment's crackdown on yellow shirt protesters on October 7 last year. The National Anti-Corruption Commission indicted Chavalit over the bloody crackdown. It was seen as a reason behind his decision to return to politics.

Newin Chidchob's Bhum Jai Thai Party, which also has a voter base in the Northeast, would not underestimate a possi-ble resurgence by Pheu Thai under Chavalit. However, Pheu Thai must hope Chavalit won't quit when facing difficult situations, as some Bhum Jai Thai members have sug-gested.

On the other side is Sondhi Limthongkul, chosen to lead the New Politics Party. Sondhi represents the anti-Thaksin group People's Alliance for Democracy. Their sup-porters are the middle class. However, his party will compete with the Democrats, as they share the same voter base.

Sondhi, not surprisingly, is now a target for attacks from many sides. His assassina-tion case is still unresolved while he faces possible jail terms for defamation after many libel cases were lodged in the courts.

The plaintiffs include former deputy transport minister Phumtham Wechayachai, former Bank of Thailand governor MR Pridiyathorn Devakula and former foreign minister Noppadon Pattama.

Coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin is the newest major player. Matubhum Party has invited him to be their leader, but he has yet to give his decision. While he looks to have a political career in mind, he has avoided commenting for the moment.

Besides being an adviser for the party, he is studying the Election Commission's Political Development course and pursuing a PhD in political science at Ramkhamhaeng University.

Sonthi is a Muslim, and the party has modest goals. Its targeted area is the restive South. Matubhum members include MPs from the deep South's Wadah Group. So, Sonthi - if opts to be party leader - can't be too ambitious.

Pheu Thai Party, meanwhile, asked the National Anti-Corruption Commission last month to investigate how Sonthi and his family acquired Bt95 million in assets.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/08

BETWEEN THE LINES

By Kornchanok Raksaseri

[email protected]

Coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin is the newest major player. Matubhum Party has invited him to be their leader, but he has yet to give his decision. While he looks to have a political career in mind, he has avoided commenting for the moment.

Besides being an adviser for the party, he is studying the Election Commission's Political Development course and pursuing a PhD in political science at Ramkhamhaeng University.

Sonthi is a Muslim, and the party has modest goals. Its targeted area is the restive South. Matubhum members include MPs from the deep South's Wadah Group. So, Sonthi - if opts to be party leader - can't be too ambitious.

Pheu Thai Party, meanwhile, asked the National Anti-Corruption Commission last month to investigate how Sonthi and his family acquired Bt95 million in assets.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/08

I am bemused how often thais tell me "so and so will be a good politician, he and his family are rich already and don't need more money so won't be corrupt." This theory seems to be inextricably bound to the thai psyche so don't ask me how it works-but works it does! :)

Edited by webfact
Quote restored to its original formatting //WF

:)

The human resource base in Thailand is devoid in the absolute.

Thailand is incapable of enabling the nurturing and developing of leaders who are intelligent, resourceful, ethical; who are commited to the development of all Thais and of the country as a whole. Where and who are the transformational leaders of Thailand? Who could be Thailand's Aung San Suu Kyi? Nelson Mandella?

Instead we get Chavalit (again and again) and a bunch of young and upcoming Chavalits, a new generation of clowns whose names soon will be nauseatingly familiar too.

It starts with education. Nowhere near enuff Thais have access to education, nevermind a respectable one, and that's the way the elites like and want it. The elites themselves are the product of an education system that is a complete failure of philosophy, ideas, methods and goals not to mention leadership. There never has been any respect of education in Thailand.

Thus it always has been, still is and shall continue to be. When I first started teaching in Thailand I (and other colleagues) thought the reading of Japanese comic books was a part of the curriculum. Now I see it might actually be an improvement.

Then we could start discussing the education and training of the Thai labor market.

After that we could discuss......

:D

Besides being an adviser for the party, he is studying the Election Commission's Political Development course

No matter which side of the political divide you stand you have to admit this has something of a surreal aspect to it.

"Freshman Sonthi as your adviser on this course I'm a bit concerned about your two word answer to the examination question " For the political stability of a nation in the 21st century what do you consider to be the most important and justifiable factors in maintaining the democratic development of a country to bring it in line with the rest of the world?" being "Military Coup" :)

or

"Somchai I'd like to introduce you to your freshman roommate General Sonthi. I'm sure you'll help him until he gets the hang of things."

KEG PARTY TONIGHT!!!

Besides being an adviser for the party, he is studying the Election Commission's Political Development course

No matter which side of the political divide you stand you have to admit this has something of a surreal aspect to it.

"Freshman Sonthi as your adviser on this course I'm a bit concerned about your two word answer to the examination question " For the political stability of a nation in the 21st century what do you consider to be the most important and justifiable factors in maintaining the democratic development of a country to bring it in line with the rest of the world?" being "Military Coup" :D

or

"Somchai I'd like to introduce you to your freshman roommate General Sonthi. I'm sure you'll help him until he gets the hang of things."

KEG PARTY TONIGHT!!!

Predictably Sonthi's sad mentality exists from top to bottom.

But let's not sell Sonthi short :D as his dissertation topic is of global significance: "The Necessity of the Military Coup as the Means of Democratic Development of Rapidly Submerging Nations." :) It's going to make Kafka look like children's literature (intentionally or not).

The keg party is to celebrate Sonthi already having a movie contract lined up: "Thailand Som Tai".

BETWEEN THE LINES

By Kornchanok Raksaseri

[email protected]

Sonthi is a Muslim, and the party has modest goals. Its targeted area is the restive South. Matubhum members include MPs from the deep South's Wadah Group. So, Sonthi - if opts to be party leader - can't be too ambitious-

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/08

I am bemused how often thais tell me "so and so will be a good politician, he and his family are rich already and don't need more money so won't be corrupt." This theory seems to be inextricably bound to the thai psyche so don't ask me how it works-but works it does! :)

I'm not going to remove this post, as the intent is quite clear. However I have the quote restored to its original. Please read this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Point-Point-...es-t287357.html and the forum rules:

29. To not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

BETWEEN THE LINES

By Kornchanok Raksaseri

[email protected]

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/08

I am bemused how often thais tell me "so and so will be a good politician, he and his family are rich already and don't need more money so won't be corrupt." This theory seems to be inextricably bound to the thai psyche so don't ask me how it works-but works it does! :D

Quote:

"how often thais tell me "so and so will be a good politician, he and his family are rich already and don't need more money so won't be corrupt." This theory seems to be inextricably bound to the thai psyche so"

And since the "great savior of the poor" has given it a new breath of life,

himself being the best example of "get rich quickly no matter what" scheme

and his famous line "honest mistakes"!

This way it has got a new meaning, a new life, new values!

New values... oh yeah' it's human, not necessarily only Thai,

to forget and forgive as long as there is enough in for all -

here the difference is - that many are happy with simply being told so!

I eradicate poverty - (with State Loans...) Yippieiiiiiiiii !!!

See " Democracy one can eat...!" :)

"We have elections, the bill comes later!"

Edited by Samuian

From Chavalit's answers to the press on the day of his return:

Q: What has former PM Thaksin Shinawatra asked you to do for his Pheu Thai Party?

A: I haven't talked to him yet.

Q: Pheu Thai is very closely linked to Thaksin. What's your direction for the party?

A: This party will try to be a party for the masses. Everything will be in accordance with the Thai people's aims and wishes. Wait a while and you will see (what I mean).

Q: Thaksin only wants to negotiate with real power. Who do you think should be talking to whom, then?

A: There are protagonists (on both sides). Who's quarrelling with whom? We should find that out in due course.

Q: Perhaps, the dispute may be between Thaksin and General Prem (Tinsulanonda), president of the Privy Council.

A: You are getting him involved again. If my memory serves me right, today he is no longer in Bangkok. General Prem is not in Bangkok.

Q: How can there be reconciliation when Pheu Thai Party members are still severely attacking General Prem?

A: They might have been attacked by General Prem's people, too. How can we fight those in power? These days, we have to look behind our shoulders all the time.

Q: Will you follow your policy of being the "middle link"?

A: Today, I am no longer the "middle link". I have joined a party to the conflict. I will therefore try to solve the issue from my position here. That should be easier than being the "middle link".

Q: Are you ready to be prime minister again?

A: There is still time, isn't there? Why are you so impatient?

Q: Does the movement to overthrow "state, capitalists and royalty" (that you raised recently) still exist?

A: It's difficult to abandon ideology and thinking. But it isn't a difficult issue anymore today. People know that the way to make sure this country survives is through democratic means.

Taken from opinion piece by Yoon in the nation:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/10/08...on_30114004.php

Earlier, Pheu Thai seemed to be weak and "headless" with no clear leader with Thaksin having fled abroad in fear of being jailed for corruption. Chavalit has now taken the helm, courtesy of Thaksin, with the aim to some-how strengthen the party and make it more united.

Read: To stifle internal discussion and debate about the party and avoid it leading into it having any form of ideology and make sure it maintains it's structure of being top-steered and controlled by one man with no true political agenda besides his own well-being.

Sad, as the party could possibly be a good force in the future if they just got rid of some of the very bad apples...

And with veteran politician Snoh Thienthong saying he will quit politics, Pheu Thai is now trying to persuade Snoh's fol-lowers to join the party.

Chavalit has now taken the helm, courtesy of Thaksin, with the aim to some-how strengthen the party and make it more united.

Chavalit claimed his return to politics was because he wanted to end rifts in Thai socie-ty. During the intense political strife over the past few years, the former Army chief has offered to mediate for national reconcilia-tion. Although Samak Sundaravej eventually got the post and became PM, Chavalit was deputy pre-mier in charge of national security when Thaksin's brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat succeeded Samak.

But he quit soon later after the govern-ment's crackdown on yellow shirt protesters on October 7 last year.

Newin Chidchob's Bhum Jai Thai Party, which also has a voter base in the Northeast, would not underestimate a possi-ble resurgence by Pheu Thai under Chavalit. However, Pheu Thai must hope Chavalit won't quit when facing difficult situations, as some Bhum Jai Thai members have sug-gested.

Their sup-porters are the middle class. However, his party will compete with the Democrats, as they share the same voter base.

His assassina-tion case is still unresolved while he faces possible jail terms for defamation after many libel cases were lodged in the courts.

Wh-at a path-etic pa-per!! No won-der no-one rea-ds it!! :)

Chavalit has now taken the helm, courtesy of Thaksin, with the aim to some-how strengthen the party and make it more united.

Chavalit claimed his return to politics was because he wanted to end rifts in Thai socie-ty. During the intense political strife over the past few years, the former Army chief has offered to mediate for national reconcilia-tion. Although Samak Sundaravej eventually got the post and became PM, Chavalit was deputy pre-mier in charge of national security when Thaksin's brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat succeeded Samak.

But he quit soon later after the govern-ment's crackdown on yellow shirt protesters on October 7 last year.

Their sup-porters are the middle class. However, his party will compete with the Democrats, as they share the same voter base.

His assassina-tion case is still unresolved while he faces possible jail terms for defamation after many libel cases were lodged in the courts.

Wh-at a path-etic pa-per!! No won-der no-one rea-ds it!! :)

I read it. I also read the Bangkok Post and a lot of others. Be more specific. Exactly what of the above do you, personally, disagree with?

For those who are interested why some words contain hyphens.... its an error in the publishing program which

can happen on any web site! We all make errors.

If TV quotes a full article from any source it is not allowed to

alter an article! Like you guys are not allowed (according to Thaivisa rule #29) to alter any quote :)

That article had to be placed as it was published on the original source. Without ANY alterations.