Visa's for partners of work permit holders?

My partner of 8 years [not married] is a teacher and has a work permit in Thailand.  For the past year I have been leaving the country every month but due to the current scare's I am worried about continuing to do this.  I do not work however I still live here.  Does anyone know if [as a partner] I could get a one year dependent visa off the back of my boyfriends visa?  We are both English.  He works with a very reputable school.  Would ti be different is we were married?  Any advice would help thanks. :o

Hi Betty -

I cannot definitively answer whether there is a way to do what you ask if not married.

I can state for certain that if you are married, and have proper marriage documentation, and if you have a non-immigrant visa, you can get a matching extended entry permit if your apllication is submitted along with that of your spouse - my company has successfully processed this sort of situation for clients. I stringly suspect that this could also be arranged for a separate, folloow-on application, based on the spouse having a long-term entry permit.

I know of one unmarried partner of a diplomat here who managed to get a matching long-term entry permit - but this may have been a courtesy arranged due to partner having a  diplomatic passport - I do not know.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

www.indo-siam.com

Yes Betty, it would be a lot different if you were married. You could then get ' attached ' to your husbands visa. Thailand does not recognize de facto relationships, thus your hands are tied, unless you take the B I G step.

I think the diplomatic officer had his problem solved on a courtesy basis. His Embassy had the appropriate contacts in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Can Steve of Indo-Siam suggest any other avenues to enable you to get a Non-Immigrant visa in your own right ?