Fishing In Lake Phayao

Dirk3

I have been a few times in Phayao and next time I want to go fishing in Lake Phayao. Last year that I was there and nobody can tell me something about fishing in the lake (even the locals).

Anyone have some info about fish and fishing in Lake Phayao?

There is a museam on the town side of the lake, it's part of the water pumping station they have lots of info about the types of fish to be found,and the history of the lake its self.

I'm also told by someone born there that you (in fact anyone) can fish in the lake as it's public property... there is also a fishing tackle shop nearby too.

Phayao is an Northern Thailand. For the time being its still a quiet place but the word is that they want to attract the backpackers so go now before it becomes another Pai.

You can walk to Kwan Phayao (the lake) easily from the centre of town and there are a few passable hotels there. The Tarn Tong is the best of them.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

You have responded to a 2 year old thread that has 7 posts and 3 of those are from banned members!

What happened to Dirk joined 2005 went fishing never heard of again :)

Gone fishing is this another club that a few unfortunate farangs join along with

Pattaya flying club

• 2 weeks later...

Virtually every waterway in Thailand has fish of some sort in it. Only a few of the fish could be classified as "sport" species. As well as the public reservoirs there are pay for play fishing parks where the fish are stocked with the express purpose of anglers catching and releasing the fish. The pay for play parks stock many variety of non-native species: baramundi, arawana, pacu, peacock bass and a few others. The most popular species is the giant mekong catfish that can grow to over 100 kg. Only a few of the native Thai species will take lures or flies. The various snakehead species are great sport on the fly or lure. Besides the snakeheads there are also jungle perch to be caught on lures. Most of the large scale species such as breem, barb, carp, tilapia, and oragami need to be caught on some sort of dough bait. A few clear mountain rivers in northern Kanchanaburi have Thai mahseer, native catfish and Burmese bigmouth. The biggest problem for a non-Thai speaking farang is finding a local with a boat for rent. You don't need a boat at one of the many pay for play fishing parks scattered in all tourist areas of Thailand. Most anglers at the fishing parks use live bait for the predator species or some sort of dough bait that can be purchased at most tackle stores.

Virtually every waterway in Thailand has fish of some sort in it. Only a few of the fish could be classified as "sport" species. As well as the public reservoirs there are pay for play fishing parks where the fish are stocked with the express purpose of anglers catching and releasing the fish. The pay for play parks stock many variety of non-native species: baramundi, arawana, pacu, peacock bass and a few others. The most popular species is the giant mekong catfish that can grow to over 100 kg. Only a few of the native Thai species will take lures or flies. The various snakehead species are great sport on the fly or lure. Besides the snakeheads there are also jungle perch to be caught on lures. Most of the large scale species such as breem, barb, carp, tilapia, and oragami need to be caught on some sort of dough bait. A few clear mountain rivers in northern Kanchanaburi have Thai mahseer, native catfish and Burmese bigmouth. The biggest problem for a non-Thai speaking farang is finding a local with a boat for rent. You don't need a boat at one of the many pay for play fishing parks scattered in all tourist areas of Thailand. Most anglers at the fishing parks use live bait for the predator species or some sort of dough bait that can be purchased at most tackle stores.

I have some fishing gear at mrs office on the side of a large inlet to the Chao Phrao. I have tried lures/food/bread/meat/ but never live bait.

The only things i have caught are in no particular order

one sandal

plastic industrial bag (cement size bag) on lure from bottom of river (thought it was another farang gone swimming it was that big and heavy)

numerous small plastic bags

drift wood

green floating plants

i see fish jumping but cannot attract them..any ideas?

plus what happend to the OP is he still fishing? cumon Dirk where are you now?

I have some fishing gear at mrs office on the side of a large inlet to the Chao Phrao. I have tried lures/food/bread/meat/ but never live bait.

Each species has its own preference in food. Try chumming an area on a regular basis and see what happens. Chumming is tossing bait of various types into the water to attract fish. There are many protected places (no fishing allowed) where the locals buy fish food and toss it to the hundreds of waiting fish... usually breem or carp of some sort.

Go to the sports forum on thaivisa and choose the sub-forum on fishing. Gary has posted a bunch of successful bait recipes for fishing the various species.

The only things i have caught are in no particular order

one sandal

plastic industrial bag (cement size bag) on lure from bottom of river (thought it was another farang gone swimming it was that big and heavy)

numerous small plastic bags

drift wood

green floating plants

:D:) The fish got wise in places where public could fish centuries ago, they congregate outside the temples in all shapes and sizes, and wait for food there where they no they are safe from nets, rods or anything else.

Wild fishing in Thailand, very sparse considering the amount of water, but one day Thailand might become an angling mecca with so many great places and so much water hat could hold enormous fish species.