12-year-old Autistic Boy Killed In Bangkok Slum Fire

george

12-year-old autistic boy killed in Bangkok slum fire

BANGKOK: -- A 12-year-old autistic boy left alone in a slum house with his elder sibling after his mother was jailed suffocated late Wednesday following a fire, police said.

The boy, Chaiya Onchan, died after he was rushed to the Chulalongkorn Hospial following the fire that broke out at the Yen Arkas 2 Community on Yen Arkas Road in Yannawa district at 11 pm.

The house owner, Saiyud Onchan, has been jailed for three months, leaving her two children alone at their slum house. Their father has been killed.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-10-15

Out of curiosity, wonder what the mom was jailed for... and why there is no social service to pick up the kids if both the parents are 'out of the picture', for atleast some form of monitored living with other youths if other relatives don't come forward...

A sad, sad and disturbing story. The government has some answering to do. May he rest in peace.

They most certainly do, but I very much doubt that they will. It's different if he had driven a merc into a crowd of people and killed several and injured others - he would have had all sorts of help from the authorities. :)

So right, Mrtoad. I don't know what the mother had done to be given 3 months in jail, but I do know that if she had been well off, she would still be out looking after her children. That the authorities can lock up a mother and totally disregard the welfare of her children left alone to fend for themselves is just one more indictment of this class-ridden, elitest society. Frankly, they make me sick.