Scuba Diving In Pattaya

RobKscuba

Hi,

I am planning on visiting a friend of mine in Thailand. I have not been to Thailand before. I intend to be doing two weeks scuba diving there, as I have heard it has some good sites.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good scuba diving organisation in Pattaya? I am looking for a diving organisation that is run by English speaking westerners with a good safety record, and a good attitude towards safety, equipment and diving practices.

I am planning on being there between 25 Nov and 5 Dec. Would a 3mm shortie wetsuit be adequate?

Any recommendations for "must see" dive sites, or anything that I should look out for, or avoid?

Any advice welcomed on these issues.

Cheers,

Rob

There used to be a really good dive site a good few miles away called the vertical ship wreck.

I think it shifted back to the horizontal and is deeper than recreational limits now though. Good for tech divers though...

From memory I recall on the sois off beach road there's a dive shop or two somewhere there.

I think Soi Yamoto might have one..

Edited by webfact
no need for full quote OP early. Use fast reply instead //WF

Good Diving in Pattaya: The 2 Wrecks in Pattaya Bay, the Kram (far Islands) and the Kood (near Islands) For Corall Dives the far Islands like Koh Rin or Koh Man Witchai. Drift Diving along Koh Krock (near Islands) will be nice too, mostly you will see one or two turtles there.

Near to Pattaya is Samae San, there you find the Wreck of the Hardeep, but you should be aware of the often stronger currents there. For Corall Dives there the Sharkfin Point with a nice wall is a good dive too.

You will be fine with a 3mm Shorty, Water Temp should be 29 to 30 C.

I recomend Mermaids, they fullfill all what you where asking for. Good rental gear too if you dont have your own. They rund daily there own Boats to the far Islands or Wrecks and to Samae San. Just google them.

You should be at least Advanced Open Water (better Deep Dive certified) as the Wrecks all are between 24 and 32 Meters deep (Bottom). If you want to penetrate them, then a Wreck Speciality is asked for.

Hi,

I am planning on visiting a friend of mine in Thailand. I have not been to Thailand before. I intend to be doing two weeks scuba diving there, as I have heard it has some good sites.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good scuba diving organisation in Pattaya? I am looking for a diving organisation that is run by English speaking westerners with a good safety record, and a good attitude towards safety, equipment and diving practices.

I am planning on being there between 25 Nov and 5 Dec. Would a 3mm shortie wetsuit be adequate?

Any recommendations for "must see" dive sites, or anything that I should look out for, or avoid?

Any advice welcomed on these issues.

Cheers,

Rob

the best one i know is seafari run by englishman james up soi 12 pattaya

i got my open water there great guy

jp

Hi Rob, I'd like to invite you to join us at Aquanauts Dive Centre, which is an British & American-owned PADI 5-Star Career Development Centre, the highest rating a PADI center can achieve. We operate the largest, most modern boat in the area, cook all our food fresh onboard and do all the area's dive sites, including its 3 wrecks. OUr website is at www.aquanautsdive.com and if you mention your Thai Visa username you get 10% off the price.

One thing about Pattaya, diving is all year round and at this time of the year the sea can be warmer than the air temperature.

CH mentioned Mermaids who probably are the biggest dive operator in Pattaya based out in Jomtien, between most operations, most of my diving when in Pattaya over the last 15 years has been with Mermaids and I would highly recommend them, although a cosmopolitan operation it certainly is very British dominated.

Mermaids and AFAIK most other dive operators will offer:

• Free pick-up and drop-off to you hotel.
  • Boat diving with 2 dives and meal.
  • Discount if you have all your own gear except for tanks and weights.

Of the dive sites these can be generalised into 3 areas.

Near Islands, ko Larn and it's smaller siblings Ko Sak and Ko Sok with the HTMS Kood Wreak, only 45mins from the pier but the islands can be plagued by speed boats and jet ski's.

Far Islands, a string of islands further out with the HTMS Kram wreak, 90mins from the pier, very few Jet Ski's and speed boats, often better viability but weather conditions can frequently prevent boats getting out to these islands.

Sami San, 45 mins drive down to the other side of Sattihip and 30mins out to the Harddeep a small ship sunk in the latter days of WWII or the near by islands which in my point of view offer the best diving in the area, downside to Sami San is the getting on and off of the boats can be hair raising but the diving out there certainly out weighs this.

I can recommend Aquanauts from experience but I'm sure the other operators are perfectly good too. Generally speaking the far islands have better visibility and fish than the near islands but bear in mind that vis. can often be poor in the water off Pattaya. A few days visiting the Samae San/Hardeep sites to the south is a must.

Mermaids is by far the biggest. If you go with a smaller operator you may well end up on a Mermaids boat anyway!

Mermaids probably trained most of the diving staff working in Pattaya right now. So if you want to get some courses in, I would recommend them.

I dont know the other operators much so I'm not running them down.

If it was me, with 2 whole weeks to spare for diving, i would spend at least a week somewhere else (with better visibility) Koh Chang or down Phuket way for example.

Enjoy!

Hi,

I have been browsing for flights to Pattaya. It appears that Pattaya airport (PYX) is not a major airport, but an airfield. What is the nearest airport that has scheduled (jet) flights in and out? Which one is the most "convenient" airport to use for getting to and from Pattaya? I can find stacks of flights to Bangkok, but if I put PYX into the search engine, there are no flights! If there is more than one answer to this question, what are the additional transport facilities like for getting from the nearest airport(s) to Pattaya? (bus/train/local airline/taxi ?? )

I live in Derby, UK, so Birmingham is my closest airport for start/end points.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi,

I have been browsing for flights to Pattaya. It appears that Pattaya airport (PYX) is not a major airport, but an airfield. What is the nearest airport that has scheduled (jet) flights in and out? Which one is the most "convenient" airport to use for getting to and from Pattaya? I can find stacks of flights to Bangkok, but if I put PYX into the search engine, there are no flights! If there is more than one answer to this question, what are the additional transport facilities like for getting from the nearest airport(s) to Pattaya? (bus/train/local airline/taxi ?? )

I live in Derby, UK, so Birmingham is my closest airport for start/end points.

Cheers,

Rob

BANGKOK is really the only viable option you have, travel time is about 90mins by taxi/car and you can pre book cars with the driver waiting to great you on arrival, but if you do not there will be plenty of options on arrival to get a car, Taxi or bus, but as you have not been to Pattaya before I would recommend not using a bus as you need to get from the bus station to your hotel which you may find tricky.

You can easily find car pick up services on line and with many you do not have to pay up front, your hotel will also probable offer a car/limo pick up, prices start at 1000B just under £20 and at the airport on arrival they will try to fleece you for at least 2000B upwards.

I fly Emirates from Birmingham with 2-3 hour stop over in Dubia and they now have upped the baggage allowance to 30Kg which you may find useful if you are bringing scuba gear.

PS

Will you be at the NEC dive show this week end?

Edited by Basil B

Hi,

Cheers for the pointers and prices. I will probably get a taxi. I have made enquiries about a hotel, but have not had a reply yet.

Unfortunately, I will not be at the NEC this week. I am currently at work. I work on a survey ship that is about 100 nautical miles off the coast of French Guiana at the moment. I will not be back in the UK until around 19th Nov. I will have just enough time to sort out a bit of paperwork and check through my diving gear before leaving the country again! I was supposed to be fitting a new bathroom at home, as I half way through it, but that will have to wait, I guess :) ... priorities... :D

Cheers,

Rob

Hi, All,

I am plannig on taking all of my own scuba gear to Thailand. Are there any import/customs problems with taking in a full set of gear, (regs, BCD, wetsuit, fins, mask, accesories etc, except for bottles, of course...). I am also planning on taking my regs and mask in my hand-carried luggage, as the regs are expensive, and I have prescription lenses in the mask, so I can't dive without it.

I am planning on booking with Emirates, and flying from Birmingham via Dubai. Does anyone have eny experiences or advice about taking this sort of gear via this route to Thailand?

Cheers,

Rob

Hi, All,

I am plannig on taking all of my own scuba gear to Thailand. Are there any import/customs problems with taking in a full set of gear, (regs, BCD, wetsuit, fins, mask, accesories etc, except for bottles, of course...). I am also planning on taking my regs and mask in my hand-carried luggage, as the regs are expensive, and I have prescription lenses in the mask, so I can't dive without it.

I am planning on booking with Emirates, and flying from Birmingham via Dubai. Does anyone have eny experiences or advice about taking this sort of gear via this route to Thailand?

Cheers,

Rob

I have never had issue nor do I know of anybody having problems with customs, you are a tourist, you have a return ticket why should they bite the hand that feeds.

I always pack my regs and mask (also has prescription lenses) in my hold luggage, never had problems with my luggage going missing or items missing, just make sure that your kit bag is sturdy, every thing is well packed and you have good insurance to cover loss.

Emirate are getting stricter on "Carry On", for economy the rules are "Economy Class customers are permitted one piece of carry-on baggage that may not exceed 22 x 15 x 8 inches (55 x 38 x 20 cm) and must weigh no more than 15 lb (7 kg)" , also as you will have a probable 2 or more hour stop over in Dubai you really do not want to to carry to much with you.

The Emirates hold baggage allowance is very good for economy you now get 30Kg, I also as a Skyward Silver get an additional 12Kg so that's 42Kg for me, ample for all my gear and sill room for a few tins of chocolates for my many friends out there.

Also good idea to sign up for Skywards as the rewards are good and you get 13,000 miles for the round trip and you never know when you may be flying Emirates again. :)

Hi, again,

So, I have booked the flights. I am travelling out on 23 Nov, and back on 7th Dec. I am now in need of somewhere to stay. Does anyone ghave any recommendations for a good hotel at a reasonable price? I would like something decent, with aircon. I don't want to stay in a dive with no aircon and too many cockroaches! :)

I also need it to have non smoking rooms. I contacted the Jomtien Boathouse, as they were recommended to me by a friend, but they said that they do not have any non smoking rooms? Is this usual for Thailand? Do they all smoke over there?

I will also have a lot of dive gear with me, so I need somewhere that is OK with that, and secure enough for me not to be worrying about my kit.

Any recommendations? I hhave heard that the Dynasty hotel is good, but know nothing about it.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi, again,

So, I have booked the flights. I am travelling out on 23 Nov, and back on 7th Dec. I am now in need of somewhere to stay. Does anyone ghave any recommendations for a good hotel at a reasonable price? I would like something decent, with aircon. I don't want to stay in a dive with no aircon and too many cockroaches! :)

I also need it to have non smoking rooms. I contacted the Jomtien Boathouse, as they were recommended to me by a friend, but they said that they do not have any non smoking rooms? Is this usual for Thailand? Do they all smoke over there?

I will also have a lot of dive gear with me, so I need somewhere that is OK with that, and secure enough for me not to be worrying about my kit.

Any recommendations? I hhave heard that the Dynasty hotel is good, but know nothing about it.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

Jomtien Boathouse is a very nice place.

Like many places around here, if you book a room... and stay there... and don't smoke... it miraculously becomes... a non-smoking room! Try also: Nirvana Suites, Jomtien Soi 4. Good luck!

Hi, again,

So, I have booked the flights. I am travelling out on 23 Nov, and back on 7th Dec. I am now in need of somewhere to stay. Does anyone ghave any recommendations for a good hotel at a reasonable price? I would like something decent, with aircon. I don't want to stay in a dive with no aircon and too many cockroaches! :D

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

Jomtien Boathouse is a very nice place.

Like many places around here, if you book a room... and stay there... and don't smoke... it miraculously becomes... a non-smoking room! Try also: Nirvana Suites, Jomtien Soi 4. Good luck!

I have stayed at Nirvana many times, and can recommend it, have considered the Boat House which is a very nice hotel too but it does not have a pool also the only disappointing point about the Nirvana is the pool which is not much bigger than a hot tub.

Even if a room is supposedly "non smoking" there is no guarantee that the last guest was not smoking in the room, I own a condo which I ask all tenants not too smoke in the room but it is something that is just not enforceable, (have put a smoke alarm in the room just to annoy them :D).

As for traipsing wet gear through hotels or up to my room, I feel ever so guilty but nothing is said :).

Edited by Basil B