Pimp My Ride

eek

This is more forward planning than anything.

Any ideas on cosmetically pimping a scooter?

Spray painting, or can some form of temp sticker be used? Can the same be done to a helmet without damaging its safety aspect?

Any recommendations and rough idea of cost?

Thanks. :)

Turn down Chiang Moi road by Mike's Hamburgers on the moat. After about 300m the road bends to the left and right in front of you is a very good scooter pimping shop where you can buy furry seats, chrome engine casings, banks of spotlights, whip aerials and pretty anodised replacements for almost every visible part of a scooter all at OK prices. It's right next door to the Top Gear bike shop but you should notice the bikes they leave on the street without any problem.

To marginally digress, yesterday I took a look at the new scooter that Honda has (belatedly) launched to compete with the Fino and was surprised to see what a poor job they've come up with. Yamaha's basic retro design was excellent but the way they opened the door to the aftermarket pimpers really helped make it the success it's been. I doubt Honda will even make a dent with theirs. at least from the style point of view.

To marginally digress, yesterday I took a look at the new scooter that Honda has (belatedly) launched to compete with the Fino and was surprised to see what a poor job they've come up with. Yamaha's basic retro design was excellent but the way they opened the door to the aftermarket pimpers really helped make it the success it's been. I doubt Honda will even make a dent with theirs. at least from the style point of view.

Agree Greenside, the Scoopy doesnt cut it compared to the Fino. Actually i adore the retro style of the Fino, but prefer the lightweight less bulky feel of the Icon. However, i find the Icon designs uninteresting. So, my thought was that if i go ahead and buy an Icon, i want to change the paint work a bit. "Pimp my ride" as a title does give the impression i want to super pimp my bike, which isnt really true, but i want to see what is out there. :)

Some ideas for you.

Not really my style, but fun. I think the Fino carries off repaints and pimping a lot better than most bikes. I love the checkered styles of the Fino. Reminds me of old Mini's.

Some ideas for you.

Not really my style, but fun. I think the Fino carries off repaints and pimping a lot better than most bikes. I love the checkered styles of the Fino. Reminds me of old Mini's.

Then you probably love my Daihatsu Trimobile from 1967.

Here seen with a friend driving and his catch of the day.

P1060439.JPG

Any ideas on cosmetically pimping a scooter?

Spray painting, or can some form of temp sticker be used? Can the same be done to a helmet without damaging its safety aspect?

Any recommendations and rough idea of cost?

Thanks. :D

If you apply paint (most types) to objects like a helmet you run the serious risk of compromising the polymer integrity of the helmet.

It may look the same as prior to the application of the paint and this is fine however in the event of an accident it may well crack open like an egg shell.

If you want to look good as you gad about go right ahead.

If you want your head to look good following an accident you are strongly advised against applying any paint to a helmet.

Your choice 'eek' but I advise against it.

I have this image of you as a pretty cool looking lady, don't risk it :)

you all have more money than brains.i could see maybe a nice paint job on a vette mabe,but a step thru.

corvette you mean?

who in their right mind would own that in Thailand? Someone with more money than brains i reckon!

Edited by Donnyboy

you all have more money than brains.i could see maybe a nice paint job on a vette mabe,but a step thru.

There could be a reason for a nice specialty paint job on a scooter. When you park your blue scooter amongst 2000 similar bikes at a shopping mall it's hard to find it when you return. I once walked around for 15 minutes trying to find my rental bike. Fortunately, I had memorized the license number or I would have been walking around a lot longer.

I suggest that eek shows us a picture of her scooter and maybe we can come up with an idea. There is only so many creative ideas without spending huge cash.

Interesting "catch" you and your friend got there PS :) . Love the Daihatsu! Would really like to have some kind of jeep (not talking flash here). I love beach buggys but not exactly practical and safe on the roads here (well, for me anyway). Also love beetles and other old VW's. But well, safety for me comes first, so practicality will override anything that catches my eye.

Dave, exactly! Great pic. Thanks. Whenever i see mini's i always think of The Italian Job.

john, I really appreciate your comment regarding painting helmets. As I mentioned, safety will override anything else. So, im happy having an unmodified helmet rather than an unsafe one. Id like to keep what little brain matter i have securely within my head!

Donnyboy, i like the look of the jelato. Will take a look into it and see how it compares to the Icon.

Ian, i dont own my own bike atm, ive been renting. I wanted to test some bikes out first to see how they feel for me. The one i found most comfortable with has been the Honda Icon. Preferred to get an idea now about what is available and at what cost, then have time to think about what i would like to do with the bike. Most likely will be buying a used bike, and will be checking out the auctions. Also, i was thinking the same thing about being able to find a custom painted bike bike in a sea of bikes. Someone pmed me about this thread and thats something i mentioned. Its not the sole reason, its just another added factor. Plus, although i realise that it would likely get resprayed if stolen, i think it would be easier to spot at the time (not that that may help much, but you never know!).

Ahh thrilled, what can i say, its an indulgence. :D

Donnyboy, nice wheels! :D You know, if that thing was turbo charged, it looks like it would be a really comfy and cool way to jet about. :D

Oh, and Greenside, forgot to thank you for that location tip. Will check it out.

Any ideas on cosmetically pimping a scooter... a helmet without damaging its safety aspect? Any recommendations ......?

Consider reflective tape for the helmet and reflective paint for the body. Attractive paint jobs and pretty helmets are nice, but being more visible at night, specially on the darker roads and sois, is worth a thought or two. I used to have it on my helmet and got my friends to do likewise. I could see the tremendous difference it made when someone was in front of me and all that illuminated him was my motorcycle headlight.

If there no lively colors that suit your fancy, you might consider it/them for at least for trim.

Consider reflective tape for the helmet and reflective paint for the body. Attractive paint jobs and pretty helmets are nice, but being more visible at night, specially on the darker roads and sois, is worth a thought or two. I used to have it on my helmet and got my friends to do likewise. I could see the tremendous difference it made when someone was in front of me and all that illuminated him was my motorcycle headlight.

If there no lively colors that suit your fancy, you might consider it/them for at least for trim.

Thanks for that noise. Noted. Will do it.

I have this image of you as a pretty cool looking lady, don't risk it :D

She's pretty hot for a white girl - likes cats too. :)

HAHA! Gobsmacked.

(I'll pay you the compliment money we agreed by paypal. :D )

^ close! Think white stripes look better though. Pimped mini coopers are fantastic. :D

On the subject of cool cars, what about the super 7? :)

But im off topic..and on my own thread!

post-33493-1255922412_thumb.jpg

Edited by eek

Honda Chaly, the only way to go.

Gotta find newer pics, she's purple now, not green. And she has been sitting for 1 week shy of a year :cry:

Thinking of bringing back a 4stroke 150cc engine for her from the states to replace the approx 110 cc on there now (stock is 50 or 70cc)

post-30367-1255923341_thumb.jpg