How To Remove A Dent From A Gas Tank

canincm

Does anyone know where I can go to get a dent removed from my gas tank? It's a small dent, maybe 2 or 3 inches across from someone who dropped their bike on mine in a parking lot. Where can I go, how long should it take, and what would it cost? Any positive or negative experiences?

Thank you very much!

Drain your fuel-tank completely, buy the cheapest dryed beans you can find and fill up your fuel-tank, complete this with filling it with water. Check every 2 or 3 hours and as soon as the dent is gone you start getting out the beans.

A good advice is to have a large knife at hand, and remove the beans with that, when you have remove enough beans and the pressure is to normal you can just shake them out.... clean the tank with some water and soap... let it dry and your are set to re-attach the tank.

Cost, sorry I not know the going price for the beans but it would be less then 100 Baht...

Drain your fuel-tank completely, buy the cheapest dryed beans you can find and fill up your fuel-tank, complete this with filling it with water. Check every 2 or 3 hours and as soon as the dent is gone you start getting out the beans.

A good advice is to have a large knife at hand, and remove the beans with that, when you have remove enough beans and the pressure is to normal you can just shake them out.... clean the tank with some water and soap... let it dry and your are set to re-attach the tank.

Cost, sorry I not know the going price for the beans but it would be less then 100 Baht...

This very interesting advise, sounds easy and hopefully working...although i never tried it myself. you could also make the same dent on the opposite side of the tank and say that this is how the tank is supposed to be :)

mbox

I assume you must use "smart beans" in this case.How can you guarantee that the beans will not stretch the metal on locations other then where the dent is.

Water soaked beans work fine, I would not leave them in the whole night.... therefore the 2 to 3 hourly checking.

The dent is the weakest point in the fuel tank and will go first to the original state, maybe after 6 or 10 hours you will get problems with the pressure making unwanted modifications...

And with the local dried bean prices it is probably the cheapest solution... Of course you can bring it to a repair shop and he will buy the beans or peas...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Beans in a gas tank... :D Wow, if it was anyone else I'd say it was a joke :D

No way I'm filling up my tank with beans, thank you very much.

Google "Remove car dents quickly and cheaply"

There are a number of cheap, easy and effective ways to remove small to medium size dents from metal surfaces.

(BTW beans isn't one of them) :)

Beans in a gas tank... :D Wow, if it was anyone else I'd say it was a joke :D

No way I'm filling up my tank with beans, thank you very much.

Google "Remove car dents quickly and cheaply"

There are a number of cheap, easy and effective ways to remove small to medium size dents from metal surfaces.

(BTW beans isn't one of them) :D

Remove your tank and everything bolted on it like injection pump, valves, filler cap. Connect pressure air @6-8 bar, and plug the holes with paper (toiletpaper works). Use the paper to reduce/ increase pressure until dent is gone. Works most times. I was 16 years old first time I did it. Was amazed :)

If it doesnt work, have it done at a body repair shop and respray.

Edited by katabeachbum

due to my background in hospitality industry may i suggest the following...you make yourself a dough out of flour , a little salt , sugar and instant yeast and combine it ...knead it and let it rest ...than you fill it into the tank until it is full....close the tank and give it in the warm room the yeast will do its action by making the dough rise and take the dent out...when this is out you quickly take the tank to a oven and bake it (you could powdercoat it the same time )...at the moment the dough is baking the yeast will be stopping its work. In the end you have a tank without dent and full of bread :D ...how to take the bread out? wait wait and wait it'll dry and than you shake it a lot or hit it a bit " careful don't make a dent" and you will have breadcrumbs coming out of your tank....

anyone willing to try this...please document it with a pictures... :)

mbox

The pressured air would probably also work, it basically depends all on the type and location of the dent. For obvious reasons advice about car dents do not work well on motorcycle fuel tanks, the first reason is that the body work of a car is hot-rolled-steel and most motorcycle fuel tanks - if they are made from steel are made of cold rolled-steel. Also the thickness metal for a car's skin is much thinner.

For people who do not believe in my solution, I would say go to the nearest workshop and let them fix it. Another solution is using bondo, there is nothing wrong with a bit bondo if it is done well. For other alternatives I would suggest that you search for "remove dent motorcycle gas tank", personally I would not go for the option to fill the fuel-tank with water in a freezer ... The main problem is that it is much less controllable...

It would be much more helpful if the OP would post a picture of the actual dent...

In our competition racing motor-cycle buisiness we have removed a multitude of dents from exhaust pipes , we use pressurable rubber bungs to seal the ends , apply 9/12 pounds of air pressure , grease around the dent and tap around the perimeter of the dent with a rubber hammer . I would say approxomately 75% of dents are removed without a trace , for more stubborn dents that have actualy 'Creased', we apply heat from a oxy acetaline torch , increase the pressure to 20lbs and repeat the tapping , most dents then come out but you can see where they were . Do not do gas tanks as they are plastic .

First, remove the tank from the bike and drain it completely. In the exact center of the dent, drill a small hole between 1/8 and 1/4" and carefully insert a sheet metal screw slightly larger than the hole with a large head. Put the claw end of a hammer around the screw, grasp the hammer handle firmly and pull slowly and firmly away from the tank until the dent is removed. Remove the screw. Then, come back to this subforum and post the following:

"How to Fill a Hole in a Gas Tank

Does anyone know where I can go to get a small hole filled in my gas tank? It's a small hole, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch across, from where I tried to remove a dent made by someone who dropped their bike on mine in a parking lot. Where can I go, how long should it take, and what would it cost? Any positive or negative experiences?

Thank you very much! "

Voila!

To fix a hole in the fuel-tank I can only recommend that you go to a garage with welding equipment and some experience in welding on a fuel-tank.

--------------------------

Another option to fix a dent in a fuel-tank is to glue, with those heated glue guns, a little piece of wood with a metal hook in the middle, then wait until the glue is fully fixed and connect a rope to it and connect the other side of the rope to a stick... swing the stick in the same manner as you would swing a Golf club... It is very likely that you lose the paint on the fuel-tank with this trick, and it may not work in one time... (also it is recommended that you securely fix the fuel-tank to something solid)

Again everything depends on how big and the location of the dent....

due to my background in hospitality industry may i suggest the following...you make yourself a dough out of flour , a little salt , sugar and instant yeast and combine it ...knead it and let it rest ...than you fill it into the tank until it is full....close the tank and give it in the warm room the yeast will do its action by making the dough rise and take the dent out...when this is out you quickly take the tank to a oven and bake it (you could powdercoat it the same time )...at the moment the dough is baking the yeast will be stopping its work. In the end you have a tank without dent and full of bread :D ...how to take the bread out? wait wait and wait it'll dry and than you shake it a lot or hit it a bit " careful don't make a dent" and you will have breadcrumbs coming out of your tank....

mbox

Tank bread!!! Brilliant!!! :D:D:D

Using an open-flame on a fuel-tank, even if it is empty, is not something I would recommend for a person who wants to do some DIY in the weekend.

An empty gas tank is far more volotile than a full one , gas , as such , does not ignite until it is vaporised , first one should wash out the tank with varsol or similar and then with water to prevent explosion , but then again , how many DIY's have oxy-acetyline in their garage ? The 'Screw in the hole' would be a waste of time , makes a hel_l of a mess and have to be filled anyway , might as well just bodyfill the dent in the first place .

I wouldn't recommend using compressed air, it is extremely dangerous unless the correct measures are taken against overpressurisation.

Would be better to use water, or oil, and a hand operated postive displacement pump (piston type). Water is incompressible, well it is over the range of pressures we are talking about, so any failure will not result in a lot of energy being released.

I don't know if the beans would work, it certainly sounds plausable (mythbusters anybody?) I just have this image in my mind of a gas tank full of swollen beans that point blank refuse to budge. If it does work do let us know and you could always use the beans in a chilli con carne :) just don't light up a cigarette while you are cooking it.

This is probably worth a shot and is not intrusive.

LINK: Remove Car Dents in Minutes on the Cheap

Supermarkets are a car’s worst nightmare. I recently left my unsuspecting car in the parking lot of my local target and what did I find when I came back? Some jerk had plowed his grocery cart straight into the passenger side of my car. “Great!” So I either needed to find a quick fix on the cheap, or, stop eating meals for a while. Luckily a few days earlier, I had seen an article about just that! A quick fix in only 2 steps for under $5!

What you will need:

◦A can of Compressed Air (Such as a Keyboard Duster)

◦A Hairdryer

Directions:

1.Heat the dent with the Hair Dryer for about 30 seconds

2.Turn the can of compressed air upside down and apply for 10 seconds

3.Wait for the ice to dry off and wipe the area clean.

If it works, the dent should pop up and look much better than before. I tried this on my car and it worked very well. It’s still a bit noticeable but much less than before. Try it out on your car and tell us how it worked!

I've just got back from the think tank and having inbibed several portions of brain oil from said tank can proclaim the solution thus:-

Leave the dent as is, buy some cheap bodywork filler, scuff the surface of the dent and fill roughly to the original profile.

Purchase a snazzy decal (or two) plus some 1/8" (3mm for those not working in customary units) black rubber. Stick the decal(s) to the rubber using superglue if considered necessary and cut out the decal(s) complete with rubber backing.

Glue decal/rubber assembly over the roughly filled dent and add the second, if considered necessary, to the opposite side of the tank to provide aesthetic balance.

Voila (which is French for just-like-that!) no need to remove nor drain the tank and the bean counters are not necessary.

well after years of bikes here is my view

you can use the compressed air, yes it works, I have done this many times.

as for drilling the hole in the tank, dont bother it is way to much work, as you have to repair the hole, and the best way to do that on a petrol tank is solder!!!! no flames, just plan old big iron heated away from the tank.

but the easy way is to add some filler and then add some cool looking decals as posted above. simple fast and hassel free, takes nothing but a cheap tin of filler and some sand paper, it can even be some fun looking at all the stickers.

now if you dont want to add some stickers you just want plan color, then buy some colored sheet of sticker material, fill the dent then cut the sheet to the shape you want, now the trick to adding this to a petrol tank is to use some soap and water on the tank then add the sticker material it allows you to move it around a fraction.

you can use a hairdryer to help shape the plastic.

in the end you have a plastic coated tank that looks like a professional coating to protect it.

have fun

DO NOT use gas or electric welding to repair a fuel (petrol) tank (diesel is possible) even if it has been washed out. The only way to repair a tank with welding is to fill it with completely with water first.

:)

Sorry but you are out to lunch with your suggestion , with the tank FULL of water you could not get enough heat in the metal to form good fusion .Have repaired a multitude of gas tanks with never a problem using the method I suggested , there are now some good 'Plastic' repairs that work exceedingly well , specialy prepared for gas tank repairs .

There's a couple of ways that professionals use that don't involve magic beans or drilling holes.

One method is using weld on studs and the other is using glue on studs. Once the stud is attached pressure is applied to pull the dint out.

But the tank will need refinishing after either process.

post-63954-1256303989_thumb.png

post-63954-1256304001.gif

Edited by BSJ

mbox

if you dont want to wait the time for the bread to dry out then what you can do is get 25 - 50 baby mice put them in a can with air holes and a water feed and tape the can on the filler hole of the petrol tank.

the result is that the mice eat the bread and clean out the tank, you end wp with a tank full of little balck/brown pellets that are easy to remove.

WARNING

DO NOT USE BABY RATS

this causes problems as they grow fast and become to large to get out of the filler hole, I wont go into the way to remove fat rats from a petrol tank full of bread as it my offend some animal lovers.

DONT FORGET THE AIR HOLES AND WATER SUPPLY

mbox

if you dont want to wait the time for the bread to dry out then what you can do is get 25 - 50 baby mice put them in a can with air holes and a water feed and tape the can on the filler hole of the petrol tank.

the result is that the mice eat the bread and clean out the tank, you end wp with a tank full of little balck/brown pellets that are easy to remove.

WARNING

DO NOT USE BABY RATS

this causes problems as they grow fast and become to large to get out of the filler hole, I wont go into the way to remove fat rats from a petrol tank full of bread as it my offend some animal lovers.

DONT FORGET THE AIR HOLES AND WATER SUPPLY

Very positive input and we can always learn something new:-)

You see there is a better solution to be found than my dangerous breadcrumbs...i mean can you imagine if someone uses these breadcrumbs? You'll end up with a "Wiener Schnitzel Flambee" :D or "kentucky firework chicken" :D ....

another option to take out the bread is worms???? but don't use these worms for fishing afterwards...you'll end up having "your selection of fish" a'la PTT/Esso/Caltex...

Happy cooking/baking/fishing and keep the rubberside down,

mbox

Sorry but you are out to lunch with your suggestion , with the tank FULL of water you could not get enough heat in the metal to form good fusion .Have repaired a multitude of gas tanks with never a problem using the method I suggested , there are now some good 'Plastic' repairs that work exceedingly well , specialy prepared for gas tank repairs .

You say potatoes, I say potaatoes, you say at tomatoes I say tomaaatoes - you get the drift :)

Unless you can PROVE filling the tank with water does NOT work why not just accept it as a different way of doing something :D

You say potatoes, I say potaatoes, you say at tomatoes I say tomaaatoes - you get the drift :)

Unless you can PROVE filling the tank with water does NOT work why not just accept it as a different way of doing something :D

Of course it would work, you could even weld to a tank full of gasoline. We, in the oil and gas industry, often do hot taps to pipelins and tanks that are in service with fluids as volatile as ethylene. However this is always done under very strictly controlled conditions and, if it's me engineering the job, some other person does the welding while I observe from the control bunker! It's two different scenarios, one being done under controlled conditions and one being done in the back yard (with all due respect to the OP).

I gotta admit I still am attracted to Mr Bean's solution. :D

btw I say spuds.