I Hate Johnny Walker Red

I doubt that most people who say they like good quality whisky- OR whiskey- are lying... otherwise the stuff wouldn't command such a huge price tag- the market ain't lying, and people who drink the good stuff don't usually do it (or do they? I don't) to get drunk- savour the stuff & sip slowly, maybe have one or two drinks of it on any given occasion. Just to get drunk on any old hooch doesn't cost so much. But I welcome those who hate Johnny Walker Red on any basis, whether it's a principled hatred of all alcohol, only whiskey/whisky, or... hatred for the awful JWR specifically.... :)

'Course I usually don't drink it on my own- but there are social necessities and marketing has made this 'the thing' in many clubs for the moment... sigh...

Yes it was quite disappointing for me on my first time to a Thai nightclub that they didn't offer gin and tonic or something other than whisky to drink . :)

'Course I usually don't drink it on my own- but there are social necessities and marketing has made this 'the thing' in many clubs for the moment... sigh...

Yes it was quite disappointing for me on my first time to a Thai nightclub that they didn't offer gin and tonic or something other than whisky to drink . :)

AND, I would just be beside myself if I could find Black Velvet Bourbon somewhere

I love Johnny Walker Red (with 2 n's.)

I mix it with ice and Coca or Pepsi Cola in a short flat glass.

Be careful where you buy Johnny Walker Red.

I cannot name names.

Some shops sell fake refilled Johnny Walker

which is not as smooth or as good as Mekhong whiskey which is much cheaper.

Also there a Chinese taboo that you must not mix an expensive

drink like Johnny Walker with a cheaper drink like Coca Cola.

That is what they say in Singapore.

I don't agree.

After that I think I need a drink. :)

Lots, probably most Thai clubs I've been to sell bottles of vodka and gin as well. They often do not sell individual mixed drinks.

IJWT, good thread...I can't stomach any kind of Johnny Walker whiskey, unfortunately it's popular in asia as the locals don't know about single malt, etc...

and...fer those that say 'if yew don't like it, don't drink it...' go <deleted> yerselves...it's OK to not like something :) ...

yeah, me too back in the old days...when flush with dough a fifth of JD and a six pack of tall buds to chase...put on Beethoven's third full volume that would drive the GF crazy...

Charles Bukowski useta do the same I read but he listened to symphonic music on the radio in LA...he liked Mahler... :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

It's not tasty, it feels pretty bad the next day, and it's overpriced and poor value for money, in my opinion. I would rather go upmarket OR downmarket, either way- but since the 'in' crowds at many pubs have decided this is THE thing to drink, choosing anything else makes you stand out even more than being a foreigner. Bleah. I hate the stuff, really hate it!

Cos it's cheap..lol..:)

When I got drunk, and got up the next day, I felt headache. Dunno why..

I love JW Red Label!! Have tried the red,black,green,gold,blue, blue king george, premier...

They are all great except for the Blue King George. My boss bought me a bottle once (I think about $600 AU per bottle) tasted absolutely disgusting.

Didnt have the heart telling him though, very expensive drop.

Mind you, I still managed to drink it all ;-)

Must say that 100 pipers is also very good for a cheapy. Those single malt whiskeys taste like bourbon to me...

I never drink JW red or any other color, just poor quality product. I buy usually Jameson at less than 700 bahts and it taste good dry.

If I drink a mixer I prefer 100 Pipers first. In the village I buy "285 Blend" or Sang Som, with a lot of ice and Coke it's worth the price. :)

When I occasionally go back to Europe I never forget to buy a bottle of Ardbeg, my prefered single malt. Caol Ila is a good surprise too.

Have a look at the Whisky-Distilleries , lot of informations there.