What Was The First Concert You Attended? The Most Memorable? And Who Would You Love To See Come To Thailand?

sbk

The first concert i can remeber was a sympthony orchestra playing on a Sunday afternoon by the Lake in Ballarat , Victoria - i would have been about 6 years old. I can still feel the power of that music.

The best/most memorable would be (a) the Stones in '72 (:) B.B. King in about '74 in Lismore ,NSW (it was pissing down cats and dogs and there were maybe 100 in the audience but so professional he was) and Screaming Jay Hawkins in the Coogee Bay.

Who would i like to see. Well i missed out on seeing Ray Charles when he was alive , and James Brown, and Otis and Elvis and Jim Croce and Miles Davis too and the list is endless. Guess i will have to wait a just few more years i too am in that same neighbourhood.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First: ZZ Top at Wembley.

Most memorable: Skunk Anansie at Brixton Acadamy (where else).

To come here: Pixies or Nymphs (if she hasn't killed herself yet). :)

Saw zz top at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas opening for the Stones. What a show. That was back in the early 80's. Would also like the Pixies.

First concert: The Knack -- Ok, I had a good excuse, I was a teenage teenybopper girl :D

Most memorable concert: The Red Hot Chili Peppers in a bar in Santa Cruz, Ca (The Catalyst!) before they hit it big (yes, Flea did the sock thing, even then)

and I would love to see either the Kings of Leon or Linkin Park hit Thailand. Apparently Green Day is scheduled for January, that would be a fun one to go see.

the Catalyst???...thou wanton :) ..in the background the place was a big hang for all the local lowlifes and the bowling alley music scene was a cover...me an' sum evil character in a leather jacket discussed the merits of .44 magnums...I was just there to surf...

first concert?...when me an' sum mates played a school dance in 1964 doing 'Stones covers...I was on bass..

best concert?...when Janis signed my jacket, Pasadena Rose Bowl, October 1968

First consert: Pat Boone (spelling?) at Thummasart auditorium by Sanarm-Luang, Tha- Prajaan campus in the '60s. Brother brought me there.

Most Memorable: Peter, Paul &Mary at Miami Playhouse in the '80s. I got to listen to my most favorited songs from these stars in person. :D

And their fans didn't let them down by showing up in their best clothes. Saw many females in evening gowns and guys in evening jackets. More than 3/4 who attending the consert were around 40's year of age.

The fans had the best time of their lives .....they often sang along with their stars. :)

It was a night to remember !

My first was Russell Morris doing 'The Real Thing' under the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1969 during a 2SM radio promo. The crescendo was supposed to coincide with a train passing overhead but either it was late or they were early and the song ran a bit over it's original six minutes.

My favourite was Billy Thorpe at Mulwalla NSW in 1972 along with Canned Heat (alas the Bear had passed away too soon) and a host of great bands.

Cosiest was Arlo Guthrie (twice) in the Norwood Town Hall in Adelaide South Australia.

my first was Santana. best memory the Dubbe Brothers playing back up to T Rex.

best line up was day on the green in kc ;Average White Band, KC and Sunshine Boys, Commadors w/ lional richie, and Earth Wind and Fire pyrmid album

best concert missed lynard skinard free bird tour 1 dollar concert. snowed in so i did not bother, what a mistake!

1.: Slade

MM: Manfred Mann's Earthband

Best: Jethro Tull

Loudest: Status Quo

Most troubles: Stones

Most fun: Any open air summer festival

All that quiet a while ago.

I have just changed my choice of who i would like to see in Thailand.

Ian anderson (jethro tull)

Was supposed to be 3 Dog Night but the tickets arrived one day late so it ended up being Elton John, at the basketball arena in Stillwater, Oklahoma, fall of 1972. He had just come off recording the "Don't Shoot Me" album and did the world premier of 'Crocodile Rock'. Had been booked the year before and now, probably wouldn't come back to the state, much less OSU. Most memorable is a toss up between The Beach Boys and The Moody Blues. Totally enjoyed Crosby, Stills, Nash. Also had a good time at several 'nostalgia tours' that including Gary Pucket, Flo & Eddy of the Turtles and others of the 1967>74 era. Started listening to American rock in 1964 on Sunday afternoons through the "Record Round-up" broadcast by the students at ISB. (Was living at Bangkla at the time.) Bought a bootleg 6 cut 45rpm at one of the Beatles movies there in BKK but didn't get my first album until we returned to the States in '67. OK, too much information but it all just flashed back........ Ieyuhrah~

One of the first concerts I saw was the KINKS at the Hollywood Paladiumin 1972 with Rory Gallagher as opening band, Rolling Stones at the Forum in LA in 74 was fantastic, had a 100 piece Jamacian steel drum band as opening act, Zappa and the Mothers of Invention at UCLA and since I've lived in Santa Cruz for a long time have seen many good shows here at the Catalist, Neil Young and Crazy Horse after the earthquake benefit, Sammy Hagar, Johnny Winter, LOS LOBOS, The Tubes, Emmy Lou Harris, and next month Zappa Plays Zappa here in town, saw the Kinks at the civic auditorium

one of the worst: Buddy Guy and Jr Wells showin' up drunk at a venue in SF...played a 30 minute set after people waited for 2 hours after showtime...

then there was Big Mama Thornton at the Ashgrove in LA...but she was obviously sick from the booze...she died not long after... :)

'oh, Willie Mae...who'll be lovin' yew tonight?...'

1st was Alice Cooper on the "Welcome to my Nightmare" tour @ Syracuse war memorial. I was 10 and was hooked forever on concerts.

Most memorable? I don't like concerts in big arenas, prefer it in a club where you more intimate setting, better sound and you can actually see the band.

So for big arenas it would be a toss up between Ted Nugent/ Blackfoot/ Scorpions w/ michael Schenker (yes, all on the same bill) or AC/DC (with Bon) UFO - no schenker :D , he had just left.

In a club the Butthole Surfers with my band opening up for them!

Aerosmith would be good to see here or GWAR :) But, honestly, I prefer to hang out @ the Molam clubs and hear the thai grooves.

1st was Alice Cooper on the "Welcome to my Nightmare" tour @ Syracuse war memorial. I was 10 and was hooked forever on concerts.

Most memorable? I don't like concerts in big arenas, prefer it in a club where you more intimate setting, better sound and you can actually see the band.

So for big arenas it would be a toss up between Ted Nugent/ Blackfoot/ Scorpions w/ michael Schenker (yes, all on the same bill) or AC/DC (with Bon) UFO - no schenker :D , he had just left.

In a club the Butthole Surfers with my band opening up for them!

Aerosmith would be good to see here or GWAR :) But, honestly, I prefer to hang out @ the Molam clubs and hear the thai grooves.

saw Alice Cooper when he opened for the Mothers in 1969...Wild Man Fisher was also on the bill with screaming and air guitar using a towel attached to his dirty levis...

an attendee who was a failed high school senior class president candidate expressed outrage :D ...

Zappa then got up and opened with the expected nonsense...then proceeded to launch his main number which resulted in a pulsating wall of sound...never seen nothin' like it...the man was brilliant...actually 'conducting' his band...

because of the nonsense factor a lot of folks never realized how brilliant he was...

saw Joni Mitchell at the famous folk club in LA down the street from the Roxy...she was apologetic, explaining that she just came from Saskatoon, Saskachewan...swear to god when she got into her set she was singing directly to me...I was only 19 but maybe she mistook me for a record company exec...unforgettable...

I saw her later at the Big Sur festival and it was forgettable...success had then gotten to her head...she's still one of my favorites...

The absolutely most memorable for me:

I've cooked in Sting's house in London for a small private function one of his guests was Elton John.

Around midnight and after some drinks Sting and Elton John are sitting together at the piano for making some music, it was great!!!

Gerd

First concert was Aerosmith in Kalamazoo Mi in a small hockey arena in 1974 my second year of high school. Great to see in a small place like that. Have loved their music ever since.

One of the best was ZZ Top in the same place in 1976 - those 3 guys can jam. Funny thing was that I met Billy Gibbons in 1986 when I lived in Texas and he was at a BBQ I went to with a friend. Very funny guy and was kind enough to actually talk to me for 15 minutes over beers and brisket.

Another 'best' was George Thorogood & The Destroyers in a little bar in Houston in 1983. What a great rockin' bar band to hear from 10 feet away...

The first : 1970 Isle of Wight rock festival. Brain went into musical overload so most of my memories are of personal friends and events outside the arena.

Most memorable : Pink Floyd, circa January 1971, Farnborough College of Technology, UK. One of the band was a buddy of someone running the students union.

Someone mentioned loudest : Without a doubt Grand Funk Railroad at the Royal Albert Hall (I vaguely recall), again early '70's and my ears are still ringing.

Who would I like to see in Bangkok, well I'd prefer HCMC but that wasn't the question? The Rolling Stones who, despite being what some would describe as "over the hill", can still get a place rocking. The main reason though is that I've never seen them live, I've always been someplace else at the time.

The first : 1970 Isle of Wight rock festival. Brain went into musical overload so most of my memories are of personal friends and events outside the arena.

Most memorable : Pink Floyd, circa January 1971, Farnborough College of Technology, UK. One of the band was a buddy of someone running the students union.

Someone mentioned loudest : Without a doubt Grand Funk Railroad at the Royal Albert Hall (I vaguely recall), again early '70's and my ears are still ringing.

Who would I like to see in Bangkok, well I'd prefer HCMC but that wasn't the question? The Rolling Stones who, despite being what some would describe as "over the hill", can still get a place rocking. The main reason though is that I've never seen them live, I've always been someplace else at the time.

I saw Grand Funk Railroad at the Albert Hall around the same time also, it was great at first but slowly became dire, billed as the loudest band in the world at the time, as I recall, the last night of the proms a few years later was much better and a lot more fun.

The other concert that sticks in my memory is the Reading Festival in 1969, Arther Brown opened at sunset with Fire and later, The Who played a fabulous set, I lost many brain cells that night and doubt I have ever fully recovered.

Edited by chiang mai

saw John Mayall in Pasadena when Mick Taylor was with him...motionless except for his fingers on the fretboard...easy to see why he quit the Stones; ol' Keef couldn't live with a monster like that on the same stage...

I useta often annoy my high school chums by wailing the line 'red is the color of dried blood...' from Mayall's Bare Wires...

saw Willie Dixon in Eugene, Oregon with some skinny, bald black dude called Chicago Slim on harp...they sure did get them white college kids goin'...also Albert Collins at a different venue; he was walkin' thru the crowd playin' in his trademark way goin' <deleted> YOU with his telecaster...

also in Eugene, Ken Kesey hosted an evening featuring William Burroughs reading recent work...memorable...not a half bad place for performances, old Eugene...

almost fergot...saw Otis Redding at Vanderbuilt Univ. in Nashville on the Friday night before he was killed in the plane crash in 1967...drove them southern white frat boys crazy an' they carried him off the stage on their shoulders...Dock of the Bay was a big hit at the time...

got the news of his death at the all white, suburban high school called Hillsboro on the Monday morning and there was a respectful hush in the corridors...

demonstrated the power of music...