Trolls

lazygourmet

Some members of this wonderful forum are asking from time to time: "What is a troll?"

So did I, as a non-native English speaker, because I was always thinking about the mythical Scandinavian creature...

But today, I have just received on my reader a feed from Seth Godin that I would like to share with -some of- you:

Lots of things about work are hard. Dealing with trolls is one of them. Trolls are critics who gain perverse pleasure in relentlessly tearing you and your ideas down. Here's the thing(s):

1. trolls will always be trolling

2. critics rarely create

3. they live in a tiny echo chamber, ignored by everyone except the trolled and the other trolls

4. professionals (that's you) get paid to ignore them. It's part of your job.

"Can't please everyone," isn't just an aphorism, it's the secret of being remarkable.

PS: sorry Mods, not Thailand related, but maybe interesting for the forum!?!

PS: sorry Mods, not Thailand related, but maybe interesting for the forum!?!

Hi 'lazygourmet',

For sure it is ThaiVisaDotCom' related.

Far too many come and go (trolls that is) with a few "Red Herrings" to boot.:)

Good post :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

Trolls aside the worst post is the one that simply tries to demean a thread "this is meaningless" no backup no explanation.

Those who say I've just read this whole thread and it is quite crap, nothing else, it's crap that is it. ?????

This was a crap thread!

Edited by enyaw

Some members of this wonderful forum are asking from time to time: "What is a troll?"

So did I, as a non-native English speaker, because I was always thinking about the mythical Scandinavian creature...

For non-english speakers, here is a simple explaination of the term troll as used in forums.

A troll in the forum posting sense is actually derived from a fishing term. In English, trolling is the act of dragging a baited hook behind a boat as the boat is moving. A troll is someone posting something in an attempt to get someone to bite or take the bait. In essence, a provacative post is made in hopes that the poster will be amused by the responses.

Troll as in the mythical creature is just a misunderstanding of the original intent of the term, as applied to forum posts or is used as a play on words.