Should I Get 'thai Married'?

My wife and I were married in the USA over 3 years and we have one child born in the USA. All is well. We are now living in Thailand (Saraburi) - for the next two years maybe longer.

I had a Type O visa (from USA, $175) which has expired. I am becoming increasingly frustrated by having to do border crossings now.

My wife has suggested we get married in Thailand, is that a good idea??

If yes, should we have our US marriage recognized here or get a separate marriage here in Thailand??

What are the pros and cons??

Who do you plan to marry? You have a very understanding wife. :)

You are already married here if you are married in the USA. The only thing required for marriage extensions of stay is getting your US paperwork translated and registered as legal here and take to District Office to make a ledger entry/file.

Once that is done you will be able to use the marriage extension of stay 400k in Thai bank account 2 months or 40k income methods to have one year extensions of stay.

I am 40 and American, my wife is Thai. I have no need to work in Thailand, I work in USA via internet. We have a US marriage. Our child has USA and Thai passports. We just want to get married to reduce the visa run hassle and maybe buy land here in Thailand.

I am 40 and American, my wife is Thai. I have no need to work in Thailand, I work in USA via internet. We have a US marriage. Our child has USA and Thai passports. We just want to get married to reduce the visa run hassle and maybe buy land here in Thailand.

You are already married. Get a marriage affidavit from the US Embassy, have the affidavit translated into Thai, then get certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), and register your marriage at an Amphur. Done, you are legally married in Thailand.

Listen to the the above advise its spot on .you do not I repeat do not have to get married in Thailand you are all ready legally married do as they say and you will have an O visa with an extension to stay based on marriage and no more boarder ruins. Your wife who is a Thia citizen does not have to remarry in Thailand to buy land you can not under any circumstance. If you doubt this advise go see a visa lawyer.

You are married. You can not buy land married or not. Only a Thai can buy land. Your wife has no restrictions on such buying except she will have to use her own money (not marriage money) and you have to sign your understanding she owns the land and it is not marriage property.

You are aware that such "internet" work is not strictly legal if done from Thailand; I hope.

BE PREPARED TO SPEND A FORTUNE!!!!!

Getting married legally in Thailand costs as little as 280 Baht, if you want 2 copies of certs in Thai and English cost is around 800 Baht...only takes about 1 hour.......we all know about sin sods etc and marrying that way but that isnt regonised for Visa extensions anyway...

Getting married legally in Thailand costs as little as 280 Baht, if you want 2 copies of certs in Thai and English cost is around 800 Baht...only takes about 1 hour.......we all know about sin sods etc and marrying that way but that isnt regonised for Visa extensions anyway...

And it is not recognised as being married either :)

very cheap to get married.

And it is not recognised as being married either :)

very cheap to get married.

I think he was joking about sin sod and gold for MIL. rolleyes.gif

Well,

It's Really Simple if U follow me Step by Step. It wiil solve and sort out all your problems :-

1. Take your USA Marriage Certificate to the Thai Embassy in USA ans get the English Marriage Certificate translated into Thai. The Embassy will charge you a very nominal fee for Translation from English to Thai and the main advantage will be that it would also be certified by them.

2. Next time in Thailand, take the Thai Translated Marriage Certificate to your local Amphur Office and you would be eligible for VISA Extensions without making Visa Runs.

3. Finished.

It's all that simple because I have done it myself.

Well,

It's Really Simple if U follow me Step by Step. It wiil solve and sort out all your problems :-

1. Take your USA Marriage Certificate to the Thai Embassy in USA ans get the English Marriage Certificate translated into Thai. The Embassy will charge you a very nominal fee for Translation from English to Thai and the main advantage will be that it would also be certified by them.

2. Next time in Thailand, take the Thai Translated Marriage Certificate to your local Amphur Office and you would be eligible for VISA Extensions without making Visa Runs.

3. Finished.

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Married my wife (Thai) a year ago, and we live in the U.S. We don't have any plans to move to Thailand in the immediate future, but I'm wondering if there is an advantage to getting our marriage certified by the Thai government now just to have it done. We're going to be changing her passport to reflect my last name soon, so I suspect we're going to need to translate our marriage certificate for that process anyway; I'm just wondering if getting it certified in Thailand provides any advantages for us.

Josh

Well,

3. Finished.

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Married my wife (Thai) a year ago, and we live in the U.S. We don't have any plans to move to Thailand in the immediate future, but I'm wondering if there is an advantage to getting our marriage certified by the Thai government now just to have it done. We're going to be changing her passport to reflect my last name soon, so I suspect we're going to need to translate our marriage certificate for that process anyway; I'm just wondering if getting it certified in Thailand provides any advantages for us.

Josh

If you want to live in Thailand on extensions of stay based on your marriage, you will have to register your marriage.

Otherwise it is not required. It is nothing more than notifying the Thai government of the fact that you are married, so they have that in their records.