Your Opinion ?

Bloodyfrog

Hi,

I am resident in Thailand since almost 10 years, so I know in advance what you will reply

So why asking ?

Simple: A friend of mine, who doesn't know Thailand, asked for my opinion, and I wish him to realise that I am not blackening the picture.

The case :

His young nephew came in vacation in Pattaya, got a girl friend who (quote) "loves him a lot".

Back to France, he sent, as asked by her, some money by transfer.

Squeezed by his family, he stopped one day and the girl vanished.

A year later, he came back and found a new girlfriend who (quote) "loves him a lot".

He informed recently his uncle that he opened a small bar in Jomtien with his girlfriend.

He has a tourist visa.

What will happen ? What the family should do ?

Please, no jokes, that topic will be followed by a worrying uncle.

Thanks in advance !

Edited by Bloodyfrog

Hi,

I am resident in Thailand since almost 10 years, so I know in advance what you will reply

So why asking ?

Simple: A friend of mine, who doesn't know Thailand, asked for my opinion, and I wish him to realise that I am not blackening the picture.

The case :

His young nephew came in vacation in Pattaya, got a girl friend who (quote) "loves him a lot".

A year later, he came back and found a new girlfriend who (quote) "loves him a lot".

He informed recently his uncle that he opened a small bar in Jomtien with his girlfriend.

He has a tourist visa.

Thanks in advance !

Why would someone that has been a Thailand resident for 10 years be asking this question when you have been here in Thailand longer than a majority of the posters?

First of all I doubt it is any nephew, it is probably you.

What will happen is simple. You opened a small bar and it is not in your name because you have no Thai company set up or work permit; so it must be all in her name.

One day some one better than you will come along, she will get the bar, you will get nothing

Pretty simple.

Legally I doubt your name is on anything, so as far as a tourist visa, you are in fact still a tourist and not a business owner.

When your (3) 90 day visits are up and you go home, I am sure oh teelac will have a new partner in the bar if it manages to survive.

I don't know exactly what will happen, but them living happily ever after as a married couple is the least likely option, slightly less possible than me getting eaten alive by my dog while I type this.

What are the most likely outcomes?

-He will lose a lot of money

-He will have his heart broken

-She is already married or has a thai boyfriend

-Most of the money he gives her is going to that husband/boyfriend

-90% of everything that comes out of her mouth will be a distortion of the truth

-If the bar is a success he could wind up dead with her and her husband owning and running it

-He will be asked for ever increasing amounts of money as time goes on

-Thousands of naive foreigners fall for the same trap every year

He will hate to hear this news but its the truth.

There's nothing the family can do, at least he's young enough to start again if it all falls apart, unlike older guys who would be throwing away money they are not capable of replacing.

I'm not quite as gloomy as DegenFarang. I know plenty of people who came to Thailand/Asia under similar circumstances when they were young and started off with very little and are still here living comfortable lives.

Put it this way, he's not likely to have much money now is he? So he's hardly worth murdering for it and he's not going to get ripped off for too much.

My wife's niece has a young French boyfriend and her background was a little "colorful". They have a baby, they share their time between Thailand and France, where he works at menial jobs to make money and they seem a perfectly happy, very normal couple.

This clearly belongs in General and not Farang Pub. :D

Will be a lot more contributions to this thread if it is moved. :D

Yes its far too serious a thread to be wasted here. :D

Leave the young lad alone btw he's young free and single...let him have some fun! :)

Edited by smokie36

The family should employ the services of a high class French hooker. I'm talking proffesional. Fly her to Pattaya, allow her to seduce the nephew and bring him back to the motherland.

Fight fire with fire.

Will cost a lot less in the long run.

Thta's not a bad idea -but wouldn't the French Hooker need to have a work permit to undertake her profession? :)

The family should employ the services of a high class French hooker. I'm talking proffesional. Fly her to Pattaya, allow her to seduce the nephew and bring him back to the motherland.

Fight fire with fire.

Thta's not a bad idea -but wouldn't the French Hooker need to have a work permit to undertake her profession? :)

She would have to go incognito. Slip under the radar.

A line such as "Je vous aime depuis longtemps" should do the trick.

Fight fire with fire.

What's rugby got to do with it :)

Fight fire with fire.

What's rugby got to do with it :)

well the lad seems to have got himself in a bit of a scrum :D

Hi,

So why asking ?

The case :

He has a tourist visa.

Thanks in advance !

From a galaxy, far off in the multiverse, 50,000 collective sighs and groans went out...

'Not again!'