Gas Station Rip Off

taxin

Most people who know Kamala or pass through it regularly will know the small gas station on the main road, its on the same side as Fantasea about 150 meters past going into Kamala from Surin.

Word of warning, do not go there for petrol unless you really must do so, they are actively scamming people by over-charging. I have used this place on various occasions over the years and was aware that I was probably paying a little touch more than a regular gas station however, they have appeared to have now stepped up a gear.

Normally my car costs about 1,600 baht to fill, my recent visit cost 1,000 baht for just half a tank ! This was not a mistake and not a case of "lets rip off the farang", it was my Thai wife who was robbed.

Im hoping that this warning can prevent more drivers from being ripped off, and that all of you who read this also pass this warning to anyone that you know.

Cheers

Esso Patong is also bad for trying to pass off 100 baht notes as 500 baht notes, and hope that the tourists don't know any better. I've had a few problems there.

Can't think of the place in Kamala. Is it a proper gas station for one of the big companies? You can always expect the privateers to be more expensive as they buy their gas in 50 gallon drums from the regular gas stations.

If it's the 50 gallon drum station that LIK speaks of, there prices are always marked up as a practice, as he said. I avoid those places as well because they have been known to water down their gas. One night, when I had no choice, I went to the privateer at the bottom of the hill coming from Patong into Karon, left side, and they overfilled my big bike tank sending gas pouring over the tank, engine, frame, etc. (There is no lighting there at all which contibuted) Of course I had to pay for all that gas as well.

The gas station in Rawai with the green leaf is the Lemon Green. I don't recall now, and I couldn't find the thread here in TV, but either PTT or Lemon Green on one of the Chao Fas filled one of their underground tanks with petrol instead of diesel or vice verse. They had to pay to fix a bunch of engines. TIT. Stick with Shell.

Edited by Scubabuddha

The same as both Shell petrol stations in Pattaya. Accidentally on purpose short changing you!

Looks like times are getting harder for the indigenous people.

Thanks for the warning I'm going down that part of the world soon to visit friends.

Cheers.

Edited by NormanW

Also be careful at the Esso ? station opposite Tesco Lotus in Kathu. They very often "forget" to reset the pump after previous customers thus starting your filling with already costs on the meter. (The fat Thai lady filler regularly trys it on).

Make sure you don't pull too far past the pump and make the meter difficult to read from your car seat.

An extract from Chiang Mai's book entitled how to buy petrol:

"stop vehicle at petrol pump, switch off engine, release petrol cover latch, GET OUT OF CAR AND WALK TO PUMP ATTENDANT, ensure pump is set to zero and ask for 91, 95 or whatever and the amount. Stand in same spot until the order has been fulfilled and when gas cap has been replaced, pay and leave".

Under no circumstances remain in the vehicle when buying petrol.

Heck I always thought that all of Phuket overcharged and was a rip off :D but if you thought that they were over pricing why did you keep going back? :)

Again, I have been to the same gas station many times over the past 4 or 5 years and accepted that it was marked up just a little, such a small amount you would barely notice it. For the sake of convenience I was not worried too much about, kind of like buying a packet of cigarettes from a street seller for 5 baht more than what it would cost if you went to 7-11, nothing to cry about. But now the place has become a serious rip off !

It is not one of the 50 gallon drum places that tourists use for filling up thier motorbikes, and its not a major gas station like Esso or PTT, it is more of an "in-between" mini petrol station but with the full size pumps, just like you would find at the major gas stations. If you know Kamala you will know the place.

Anyway this is not a discussion about petrol stations in Chiang Mai or Pattaya, or about Phuket being a rip off in general (we already know that), this is a genuine warning to anyone who lives in Phuket and particularly in Kamala, stay well away and dont use them unless you really must do so !

The gas station rip off is really only possible if you're in a car.

It works like this (in case you don't know)

Someone on, say, a motorcycle is in front of you and asks for 100b of petrol and gets filled up.

You pull up behind in your car and as for 1000B of petrol but the attendant doesnt reset the pump, so what you really get it only 900b worth.

It's almost impossible to tell by just using your fuel gauge in the car - they just arent that accurate.

You HAVE to get out of the car and check the pump has been reset to zero.

Good advice earlier about YOU taking the fuel cap off yourself and checking the pump has been reset.

The rip offs are almost impossible to do on a motorcycle because mine only holds 100b in total anyway and i can physically see how much is in the tank, and, by inference, i'm stood right next to the pump!

Lots of stations, it seems, do this.

Just be aware it can happen anywhere, any time.

Regarding Lemon Green in Rawai. My friend filled up there and they'd put diesel in the main tanks instead of gasoline. SHe had to have a load of work done on the engine - all paid for at their expense i may add.

Since these posts have cropped up, i've always been careful to check what's goinig on at the pumps.

The gas station in Rawai with the green leaf is the Lemon Green. I don't recall now, and I couldn't find the thread here in TV, but either PTT or Lemon Green on one of the Chao Fas filled one of their underground tanks with petrol instead of diesel or vice verse. They had to pay to fix a bunch of engines. TIT. Stick with Shell.
Thatw as the Esso pump on Chao Fa Chalong.

I don't like Shell in Chalong since they don't have 91 anymore, and my bike runs best on 91. Plus I have always found them very unfriendly there. Am not too fond of Lemon Green, but it is closest to my home since they moved the Rawai Esso?, and I have never been ripped of there. PTT Kata has friendly attendents, so I prefer to go there if possible.

Thanks for that description mark. I never checked the pumps before they start filling. And I remember getting charged a bit much on a few occasions.

Regarding Lemon Green in Rawai. My friend filled up there and they'd put diesel in the main tanks instead of gasoline. SHe had to have a load of work done on the engine - all paid for at their expense i may add.

"their" as in Esso or "their" as in your friend? I read on the other thread somewhere the station was paying for repairs.

Thatw as the Esso pump on Chao Fa Chalong.

I don't like Shell in Chalong since they don't have 91 anymore, and my bike runs best on 91. Plus I have always found them very unfriendly there. Am not too fond of Lemon Green, but it is closest to my home since they moved the Rawai Esso?, and I have never been ripped of there. PTT Kata has friendly attendents, so I prefer to go there if possible.

Funny, the only place I ever recall getting good customer service is at the Shell in Chalong. Particularly by that short, cute-ish, very dark skinned girl. Didn't know they didn't have non-gasahol 91. Are you sure about that? I seem to recall V-power 91 and V-power 95 being available there now. Sometimes they run out though. I know 95 V-power, by law, went away for a while, but now it's back. According to a Shell station owner I was talking to the other day on my trip back from Malaysia, the exotic/sports car community in Bangkok complained so much that Shell was allowed to bring 95 v-power back.

Most people who know Kamala or pass through it regularly will know the small gas station on the main road, its on the same side as Fantasea about 150 meters past going into Kamala from Surin.

Word of warning, do not go there for petrol unless you really must do so, they are actively scamming people by over-charging. I have used this place on various occasions over the years and was aware that I was probably paying a little touch more than a regular gas station however, they have appeared to have now stepped up a gear.

Normally my car costs about 1,600 baht to fill, my recent visit cost 1,000 baht for just half a tank ! This was not a mistake and not a case of "lets rip off the farang", it was my Thai wife who was robbed.

Im hoping that this warning can prevent more drivers from being ripped off, and that all of you who read this also pass this warning to anyone that you know.

Cheers

If a gas station has their prices in clear view on massive billboards as most do and you watch the pump is at zero when they start to fill, it is impossible to be scammed..isnt it???..dont forget, gas prices have gone up approx 20% in the past month or so

Filling up half a tank at 1000 baht and stating you where robbed??

I d prefere to have more aqurate info like how many litres for 1000 baht. Litre price compared to price on board or pump. Before i claim someone cheating.

Perhaps this time you filled up with 95 benzene at 36 baht/litre compared to normally gasohol at 29 baht/litre?

Shell Chalong have V-power 95, and I'm sure I see V-power 91 there as well. I have to be careful I get the 95 V-power.

have you seen the PRICE of v-power.

Shell near the Green Man on the Chalong - Kata road don't stock standard 91 gasoline.

They have 91 gasohol and 91 v-power. (and the 95 v-power and 95 gasohol too)

91 v-power is WAY expensive.

91 gasohol may or may not damage vehicles which have not specifically been designed to use it.

Scubabuddha - you said "their" as in Esso or "their" as in your friend? I read on the other thread somewhere the station was paying for repairs.

My friend filled up at Lemon Green in Rawai when that garage had put diesel into its main tanks instead of petrol, by mistake. They incorrectly filled up her car with diesel from the petrol pump. She had her car fixed at the garage's expense - and apparently there was a line of other customers getting their cars fixed too.

It happens - though frankly it shouldnt. Not very professional, but Lemon Green paid up for the repairs - no questions asked........well, the evidence of dozens of motorists complaining of the same thing at the same time is pretty compelling i guess !

Filling up half a tank at 1000 baht and stating you where robbed??

I d prefere to have more aqurate info like how many litres for 1000 baht. Litre price compared to price on board or pump. Before i claim someone cheating.

Perhaps this time you filled up with 95 benzene at 36 baht/litre compared to normally gasohol at 29 baht/litre?

No, it was the usual gasohol at 29 baht a litre. And the pump was set at zero, which means they are no longer sticking to the standard pricing as they have in the past.

My post is to simply warn people about this, I did not ask for the forum jury to decide if my warning is warranted or not. Trust me, this is a valid warning.

I will say it again, anyone who passing through Kamala avoid the gas station if you can !

The same as both Shell petrol stations in Pattaya. Accidentally on purpose short changing you!

Looks like times are getting harder for the indigenous people.

Thanks for the warning I'm going down that part of the world soon to visit friends.

Cheers.

I've never had problems with the one on 2nd Rd but have also been short changed at the Pattaya Tai one about a year ago. I believe the owner has now cracked down on it after getting many complaints... there is now a big red sign on the pumps which says to check your change and make sure the pump is reset. The old guy at the Pattaya Tai one is the worst culprit.

Shell near the Green Man on the Chalong - Kata road don't stock standard 91 gasoline.

91 gasohol may or may not damage vehicles which have not specifically been designed to use it.

Ah ok, I see. As far as I know, 91 V-power is Shells only 91 they offer. They don't make a non-gasohol 91 that is also non-V-power. The only difference with V-power, Chevrons' Techron and the like is they have detergents, which I have heard is actually pretty good for your engine to use from time to time.

Ah ok, I see. As far as I know, 91 V-power is Shells only 91 they offer. They don't make a non-gasohol 91 that is also non-V-power. The only difference with V-power, Chevrons' Techron and the like is they have detergents, which I have heard is actually pretty good for your engine to use from time to time.

Yeah it probably is, i cant remember exactly but i think it was like 6 or 7 baht a litre more expensive than normal 91 grade juice. Now THAT's a rip-off in itself.

Call me cynical.............the government (according to Shell spokesmen) said they were phasing out 91 grade juice, so Shell cancelled 91 grade and brought in V-power instead - and then charged a premium for it. The only other choice is 91 gasohol which not everyone wants.

On my scooter, i will use 91 grade gasohol but i try to mix it up with half a tank of 91 regular too.

On a Honda Wave, there is little point in paying for 'high performance' V-power gas !

Was their to ask for 91, they told me 'no have', but in such a way it was clear they did not run out, but did not offer it anymore. I may be wrong, but since I don't like them any way don't care too much, prefer Lemon Green or PTT Kata.

Hi

They say 91 no have, been asking for it myself

Shell Chalong have V-power 95, and I'm sure I see V-power 91 there as well. I have to be careful I get the 95 V-power.

Hmmm, need to correct my post. I'm just back from Shell Chalong buying V-power 95. Seems like there was no V-power 91. I was getting mixed up with V-power diesel. Shell only have 91 gasohol.

I always stop my car with the front windows alligned with the pump and look via the window to the pump meter in a way that they will see it.

Offcourse they are waving me to drive a few meter further whch i don't do off-course. :D

In this way they know that i'm watching them and never had any problem. :)

Edited by merijn