Phi Phi - Are Donations Tsunami Being Witheld

Clip_My_Wings

Hi All,

I have just received an email from a freind who is travelling and has just arrived in Phi Phi

Nothing could have prepared us for what we saw when we arrived on Koh Phi Phi, the island really is in ruins and only 100 out of the 1500 locals are left on the island, the other survivors are housed in camps on the mainland because there is no housing left for them here. We have volunteered and are working with an organisation called Hi Phi Phi who are helping to clear and start to rebuild the island. Roger has been demolishing a condemned building and I have been shovelling dirt to lay the foundations for a guest house. Despite the fact that charities raised more than enough money for the tsunami appeal this island has received nothing. This is because the government are controlling the money given to Thailand as a whole and have not allocated any to Phi Phi because they wish to buy it back from the private landowners to build 5 star resorts which would be a tragedy for the locals aswell as the island. The landowners are refusing to sell (they've been offered 38 million US dollars!) but are really struggling to start over again. I am writing because there is now a website that allows you to donate money directly to specific projects and people in Phi Phi. These people really, really need help and we were hoping that you might spare a little time to look at the website and possibly donate a little bit of money. The things that we are seeing are heart breaking yet despite their horrendous ordeal the Thai people show such resiliance and remain so positive, it's amazing and extremely admirable.

The website address is:

www.hiphiphi.com

has anyone direct been there and seen that the rebuilding effort is being hampered by the government withholding funds so they can make self gain ...

it will be interesting to hear your comments

There was a tv program in the UK last Fri night showing Phi Phi, Kao Lak and Phuket...from what it showed Kao Lak and Phi Phi were diaster zones, it looked like hardly a thing had changed over past few months...volunteers were there helping clean up and even some builder guy from Ireland who must have been in his 70s helping rebuild houses...they pointed to some cerment mixers etc they had got from building suppliers in Ireland as donations...they didnt mention any funds from elsewhere bar what the volunteers raised themselves and distributed themselves. Phuket on the other hand looked great (from what they showed). They were saying they need tourists back to Phi Phi etc, but I honestly cant see how they can expect tourists back in the state its currently in bar volunteers looking to help work.

On another forum the same thought had been mentioned btw> A few people/business' have started up donation funds and bypassing the "official" channels as little seems to be getting through to the poor people on the street.

http://www.phuket-info.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6378

Its the obvious and perfect move for any Government official who wants a landbank.

1) Civil Servant controls (say) 100 million to help a certain area.

2) He holds out till they are starving.

3) He offers the relief funds - with a sale transaction attached on condition that he gets the Land title and the people use the cash (who get a big sum) to buy a home elsewhere.

4) People in an area he doesn't want Land receive nothing, in order to subsidize the buyback.

Its Thai taxpayer money - not international donations, so no audit check.

Luvvly jubbly. You have to think like a felon. If one can suddenly have this power to control funds, one might think 'whats in this for me then?"

Let me get this straight... People have already donated money to the relief fund, but the Thai gov't is withholding the monies (for whatever reason) from Thai people of Koh Phi Phi, thus hampering the rebuilding efforts.

Seems to me that the Thai people should be doing something on their own to resolve this issue with their government! If they can't do anything, then why should a farang bail them out? Thailand is known for it's corrupt gov't, and as farangs, we are in no position to do anything about it. Therefore, do the Thai thing, and just "accept" it.

As for Koh Phi Phi, although it was indeed a tragedy that many lost their lives and livelihoods, I for one would like to see the islands less developed. I have been to Koh Phi Phi twice... once in Oct 1997, and again in Sep 2004. I was appalled at how much development there has been between my two visits, and how many tourists were on the beach. Why on Earth would I want to contribute money to bring back this "ugly" sight?

There was a tv program in the UK last Fri night showing Phi Phi, Kao Lak and Phuket...from what it showed Kao Lak and Phi Phi were diaster zones, it looked like hardly a thing had changed over past few months...volunteers were there helping clean up and even some builder guy from Ireland who must have been in his 70s helping rebuild houses...they pointed to some cerment mixers etc they had got from building suppliers in Ireland as donations...

Which makes it pathetic to think of all the millions sat in some fat cats bank account.

Volunteer to help ! Who's taking the pi$$ here.

The landowners are refusing to sell (they've been offered 38 million US dollars!)

Discussed last month under:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30268&hl

All this misguided effort on the part of volunteers.... it's amazingly naive and downright stupid. Rebuild a place and then not be able to even afford to return after the "5-stars" have taken it over. What a waste of time, energy, and money for them....
QUOTE(mickmac @ 2005-03-25 14:03:37)

Hey "Moonface", where are your high rollers now?

ohh...don't worry... they'll be there soon enough. They are just waiting for now so they can get some more free work out of these volunteers. Why pay a construction crew when you have foreigners willing to come here and do it for free??
I don't impune their good intentions at all, but just wish they'd be doing volunteer work for someone besides the fat cats that will reap all the benefits of their hard work. It is destined to become an exclusive island, through the efforts of politicians and businessmen, that most of these volunteers will not be able to return to once the 5-stars are in place. The writing is on the wall for it to become the next over-done Samui, albeit on an even more high-so level due to the limited space there.

The "big spenders" will not have any problem coming...

The only thing I might add is that perhaps if they were offered a BILLION and a half for the title, sell.

Better to get stacks of money now rather than be cheated off the island by politicians and end up with nothing...