What Would You Pack With You To Live In Thailand?

colourcode

Hi

We are coming to Thailand from the UK for a year to live and was wondering what to pack? What is really hard to get in Thailand and what would you bring with you if you could?

Things we couldn't live without and hope we can get in Thailand are:

• Books (award winning fiction like the booker shortlists etc)
  • Technical books (science - evolution/ cognition/ robotics/ computer sciences / art and design)
  • Teabags (ok typical Brits I know but is it only Liptons in Thailand?)
  • Art Materials

What other things are hard? I found shoes quite hard when I lived in Tokyo I am an average size 6 (euro 39) and was made to feel like godzilla when I went into any shoe shop!!

so anything you guys could suggest would be a great help!

Money, lots and lots of money. :):D

I like sandals with covered toes for when I'm shifting gears on my motorbike. Keens make a good pair and you can't get them in Thailand.

Books are expensive in Thailand, but they are heavy to carry. I always bring a novel or two for all the delays in transit. Electronics are cheaper elsewhere than Thailand. Bring a cel phone as you'll need it. You can get a SIM card in Thailand. Cotton clothing is pretty cheap in Thailand, but if you like fitted clothes then bring them from home. Laptop computers are much cheaper outside of Thailand. Same with cameras.

If you like to paint in watercolours, as I do, I would bring the block paper from home. I've never been able to find the good Arches paper in Thailand... at least not in Chiang Mai. I've been able to find pens, brushes and paints, though.

I don't worry about food items because I adjust to Thai food and drinks. Tea you can buy in Rimping markets. Good cheese is expensive in Thailand, but it's hardly worth bringing because it is heavy and doesn't last.

Phones are fairly cheap in thailand, also note if you have your phone as "contract" in UK it is propably locked and does not work with thai sim cards.

Everything is available, some cheaper some more expensive. Laptop and camera yes, others depend on how much you want to carry with you or are you prepared to pay for the extra luggage.

Hi

We are coming to Thailand from the UK for a year to live and was wondering what to pack? What is really hard to get in Thailand and what would you bring with you if you could?

Things we couldn't live without and hope we can get in Thailand are:

• Books (award winning fiction like the booker shortlists etc)
  • Technical books (science - evolution/ cognition/ robotics/ computer sciences / art and design)
  • Teabags (ok typical Brits I know but is it only Liptons in Thailand?)
  • Art Materials

What other things are hard? I found shoes quite hard when I lived in Tokyo I am an average size 6 (euro 39) and was made to feel like godzilla when I went into any shoe shop!!

so anything you guys could suggest would be a great help!

They have a giant bookstore in Siam Paragon with every kind of english language book you could ever want.

Teabags? Thailand is home to 1 million coffee shops and you can find any kind of tea almost anywhere? want some peppermint tea from UK? Tesco Lotus carries it

Tons of art materials.

You know what I would bring? Clean, comfortable underwear

It is hard to find clothes for large size 6' plus males

Other than that you dont really need to bring anything, everything is here and it is cheaper to get it here

Quality tools, if so inclined.

I second that, particularly in relation to power tools, which seem hellish expensive in Thailand compared with UK, even for non-premium brands.

But if you're making a shipment rather than just wondering what to put in a suitcase, my rule of thumb would be "If in doubt, send it." I've just been attempting to inflate a bicycle tyre and lamenting that I didn't bother to ship the electric gadget that I had for years in the UK.

Although I visited Thailand many times in the past, I moved here on a "retirement visa" in May. The whole issue of "stuff" has been interesting as I adjusted.

In grocery shopping, I'd look at the price of some item (like taco sauce) and just about faint, but then I go to pick up a jar of some spice and think how cheap it was. After a while you learn to find substitutes for those items you can't find, occasionally gulp when you decide to pay the price for something you really like or want, and take joy in the prices that just can't be beat!

Books? I think you will have little problem. I won't say I'm an avid reader, but I read a novel or two a month and an occasional biography, and I've had little problem finding what I want. Same with DVDs. Technical books, a little more difficult. I maintain a mailing account with USA2Me, and I allow myself to order one or two items a month from Amazon. So far I've never been charged duty, but I know that varies a lot.

I have actually found Thai shoes to be more comfortable since I have a wide foot...for men they tend to be more square-toed than pointy. If you're talking about brand names, you'll pay, of course. But much of what's popular in the west can be found here at the large department stores.

The absolute dead end for me so far has been...picture hooks. :)

There is another post running about "where to find good underwear". You may want to pack plenty of your favorite undies and socks, and have plenty in reserve since these clothing items are substandard here (my opinion), unless of course you shop at a high end mall or department store, in which you will pay an exorbitant amount for these simple necessities.

Quality tools, if so inclined.

I second that, particularly in relation to power tools, which seem hellish expensive in Thailand compared with UK, even for non-premium brands.

But if you're making a shipment rather than just wondering what to put in a suitcase, my rule of thumb would be "If in doubt, send it." I've just been attempting to inflate a bicycle tyre and lamenting that I didn't bother to ship the electric gadget that I had for years in the UK.

Have just kitted myself out with a load of Black & Deckers from Home Hubs/Marts etc (made in the same places you buy then from in UK). I reckon the prices are overall about the same as the UK - certainly not hellish expensive. Maybe you have been over here a year or two - DIY prices in the UK are substantially up over the last couple of years notwithstanding the recession. But I haven't found a cheap lightweight rechargeable screwdriver here yet - so that goes on the list to bring back next time.

My last packhorse trip included razor blades and shaving gel (as reported elsewhere - blades in particular are light and 30% cheaper in UK; gel is heavy but I get Gillete series gel for £1.50 in my local cheap shop whereas it's about £4 in Thailand). My last crazy carry was limescale remover! But then Tv on another thread similar to this - search 'Santisuk limescale' if you want further extensive input - has come up with a Thai equaivalent at Carrefour Bangkok

With all that "tea" money we pay the Thai police there MUST be tea somewhere in Thailand. :)

Yes, many rai. :D

Take a trip to Doi Maesalong. You can see large plantations, sample locally produced teas at shops along the road; and buy it for a fraction of what it costs in the west. But I think most Brits prefer a different type of tea. For me, Oolong is sublime .. alternated, of course, with strong steaming coffee. Pass the Arabica, please.

If you're a Real Man , you'll want to bring over proper shaving supplies, not cartoonish, ridiculously overpriced Fusions and gel. That means a quality traditional safety razor, a badger shaving brush, and real shaving soaps/creams. You can get DE blades in bulk for a song at beauty supply houses. And you'll have a much better selection of after shave liquids/balms/colognes, at much cheaper prices, over there. Thailand has none of the fine traditional high-end Brit stuff such as by Truefitt & Hill, Trumpers, or Taylor of Old Bond Street.

If you're a Real Man , you'll want to bring over proper shaving supplies, not cartoonish, ridiculously overpriced Fusions and gel.

Kiss my grits, sure am glad I ain't a real man, it sounds like an awful lot of work. Fusion blades rock. I just use Boots (Thailand) gel and it works fine, occasionally they have a sale, 99 baht for a good sized can so I just stock up then.

post-37101-1257484044_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Just bring a bag of humour, a bag of common sense, a few bags of humility and acceptance, leave the bitterness and superiority complex back where you come from.

And finally, bring enough money with you, else, like so many other Farangs you'll start off by really liking Thailand, then your money will start running out, then you'll hate the place and blame everything Thai for your own bad planning.

Oh , and bring a good supply of anti paranoia pills with you, cos according to so many on this forum, .... " The Thais are all out to get us " !!

:)

Just bring a bag of humour, a bag of common sense, a few bags of humility and acceptance, leave the bitterness and superiority complex back where you come from.

And finally, bring enough money with you, else, like so many other Farangs you'll start off by really liking Thailand, then your money will start running out, then you'll hate the place and blame everything Thai for your own bad planning.

Oh , and bring a good supply of anti paranoia pills with you, cos according to so many on this forum, .... " The Thais are all out to get us " !!

:)

Sounds like someones sorong got ruffled today. :D

for shaving in thailand:

17 baht for gillette double blade disposables

(2 for about a dollar usa)

is there really anything that can shave closer for the price?

You must be joking.

At beauty supply shop in PTY:

100 Astra DEs = B150, 1.5 baht per blade

100 Japanese Feather DEs = B450, 4.5 baht per blade

No comparison, really. And can scrape the outer layer of skin right off your face if you don't know what you're doing. That be close enough?