Manual Uninstall Of Program In Windows 7

Crushdepth

I upgraded to Windows 7 yesterday and reinstalled one of my favourite games (Lineage II). Unfortunately it doesn't work so I want to get rid of it. Problem is:

* Program is not listed in control panel, so I can't uninstall it there.

* Program folder does not include an uninstaller.

* I downloaded Revo Uninstaller, it can't uninstall, says to 'uninstall manually'.

* I went looking in the registry and can't find an entry with an uninstall string.

What can I do? Is there likely to be dire consequences if I just blow the folder away?

I would install it again ot see if the installation was corrupt and maybe it will include an installer this time, or just delete the folder and get a good junk and registry cleaner to clear the crap away i use advance system care they do a free version which will suit your needs..

By the way have you tried setting the compatibility mode to windows xp?? right click the exe file then compatibility mode>> iv had a few programs that wouldnt work under 7 but will do it compatibility mode

Yeah I've tried Revo, reinstallation over the top, changing compatibility mode to XP and vista, no luck. So if I delete the folder, can I use a registry cleaner to remove whatever it has placed there? What's a good cleaner (for this purpose, not 'generally).

Thanks

That would mean reinstalling and reconfiguring everything else as well, which was quite a few ours of work.

There's no way to manually uninstall a program?

Just delete the program files and directories. If any registry entries for it exist (and there may not even be any) then Windows will inform you at some point and ask if you want to delete any reference to it. Windows 7 is remarkably robust, it will mostly look after itself. I have installed and uninstalled several hundred programs and drivers on this machine in the course of beta testing for MS and have never been left with an unuseable system. CC cleaner works well on 7 also, but it may do a lot more than you hoped for unless you are familiar with how to use registry cleaners.

Edited by stolidfeline

I upgraded to Windows 7 yesterday and reinstalled one of my favourite games (Lineage II). Unfortunately it doesn't work so I want to get rid of it. Problem is:

* Program is not listed in control panel, so I can't uninstall it there.

* Program folder does not include an uninstaller.

* I downloaded Revo Uninstaller, it can't uninstall, says to 'uninstall manually'.

* I went looking in the registry and can't find an entry with an uninstall string.

What can I do? Is there likely to be dire consequences if I just blow the folder away?

Yeah I've tried Revo, reinstallation over the top, changing compatibility mode to XP and vista, no luck. So if I delete the folder, can I use a registry cleaner to remove whatever it has placed there? What's a good cleaner (for this purpose, not 'generally).

Thanks

If all you're trying to do is remove a game or program, forget registry cleaners and System Restore; it's a waste of time. You can search the Registry for entries specific to the application you're trying to remove by using the path of the program folder as the search parameter.

Copy the entire path (ie. C:\Program Files\Some Application), open REGEDIT; press CTRL+F or F3, then CTRL+V and press Find Next. Those entries with paths matching the search pattern will be found (if they exist). You can go ahead and delete if neccessary.

To ensure the the entire registry is searched, select the My Computer or HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key before initiating the search.

Edited by Supernova