Invited To A Thai Wedding

tgf7

I have never been to a Thai wedding. What do I wear. Are they as formal as weddings in Europe/America?

Its taking place at the Dusit Thani near Silom. Family is somewhat well-off.

What kind of gift should I give? If cash, how much. Someone told me to put it in a red enveloppe.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

I don't know anything about a red envelope. I went to one of those and wore a sport jacket with dress pants. Since it was pretty hot I passed on the tie as did most of the other guests. I put a thousand baht in a signed card and put the card in a white envelope with the bride and grooms name on it.

I have never been to a Thai wedding. What do I wear. Are they as formal as weddings in Europe/America?

Its taking place at the Dusit Thani near Silom. Family is somewhat well-off.

What kind of gift should I give? If cash, how much. Someone told me to put it in a red enveloppe.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

The red envelope is a Chinese thing. It's called an Ampow and is used for giving gifts of money on holidays and other special occasions. I had a simple country wedding where money was just put into a bowl. If they're getting married near Silom it's probably a more expensive Hi-so affair.

Have fun!

I have been to 2 Thai weddings... mine! :D

Most Thais wore slacks, and a shirt. Do NOT wear shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops etc., nor anything that is black. (Black is supposedly a bad-luck colour). Just remember to dress comfortably. You probably will not be "participating" in the wedding. Usually this is for the bride and groom, the immediate family, and of course the monks. A typical wedding lasts about 4 hours, of which most of the time you will be able to socialize with other attendees, and perhaps enjoy a whiskey and soda on the rocks.

As for the monetary gift, I have seen the red envelope used, but I do not think that it is that important. You could always use a white envelope.

As for the amount to give, it's whatever you can afford. Most people usually give anything from 100 baht up to 500 baht. If you want to be remembered, give a 1000 baht, as a previous poster mentioned.

BTW, towards the end of the wedding, there will be a procession (maybe that's not the word), in which you will approach the bride and groom (who will be neeling), and you will pour water (maybe containing rose petals) into their hands. It is at this point that you hand over your money gift (there will be a basket or metal bowl). You may also get a souvenir. :o

Have fun!

I've been to a few weddings and at most of them the envelope has been deposited at the entrance, where the souvenir is also given.

Following other people, the envelope I've used has been the one that the invitation came in. This should have your name on it already so your generosity can be noted. I can't say that I've noticed people using red envelopes though.

I've been to a few weddings and at most of them the envelope has been deposited at the entrance, where the souvenir is also given.

Following other people, the envelope I've used has been the one that the invitation came in. This should have your name on it already so your generosity can be noted. I can't say that I've noticed people using red envelopes though.

Usually you put about 1,000 baht in the invitation envelope because it already has your name on it and they know who it is from. You don't have to get a seperate card and sign your name, nor do you have to put in a red envelope

As for attire, you should really wear a suit. If you don't have a suit try to get a sport jacket

I went to a Muslim wedding in BKK, the manageress of my language school branch. I wore trousers shirt and tie and was the second smartest dressed person after the groom, and hardly knew anybody, and so was quite embarrased. (The best man was in jeans and trainers - this wasn't a particularly poor family).

It was the most boring event I'd ever gone to. Obviously no alcohol, but everyone, all muslim friends and family looked so bored. No music or dancing. The couple had their pics taken at every guests table, after all the guest had finished eating they all got up and left.

Siamese Kitty's Guide to Thai Weddings

1. Get dressed. For guys, either shirt with tie or a suit, depending on how fancy the hotel is. Do not wear a black shirt. (Black slacks or suit are okay though, they're not expecting you to wear green pants or anything.)

2. Put money in the envelope the invitation came in. I would suggest 200-1000 baht, depending on your financial status, but keep in mind that you might be judged by how much you give. A small amount is acceptable if it is known that you're really scraping by, but if people think you're well off, or if you are a "poo-yai" (rather senior), more will be expected.

3. Enter hotel, arrive at function room. Give the envelope to the ladies at the table in front of the entrance, receive small souvenior in return. Sign your name in the registration book and wait your turn for photo-taking with bride and groom at the entrance.

4. Eat. Talk. Chitchat with mutual friends and other guests. "Oh, you're from the groom's guest list? Nice to meet you, I'm one of the bride's guests." Expect people who don't even know the bride and groom personally (acquaintances of bride/groom's parents, along with their family).

5. Some activity on the stage as bride and groom come to the front, MC talks about how they met, video or slide show may be shown, bride and/or groom may sing a love song, best friend of bride/groom has a few words, a toast to the couple, etc...

6. Possibly more eat, talk, chitchat. Some people start leaving. More eating, talking. More people start leaving. No official end to the wedding reception, people just start heading home when they feel it's time.

Note: Guide above applies to most Thai weddings, middle to upper middle-class, in Bangkok. Not sure about the traditional Isaan, traditional Northern/Southern or very Chinese or Muslim, or super "hi-so" weddings though.  :o

When I married my first wife, she and her family, I suppose, were considered middle-class (they owned property, wife was educated, worked as school teacher, etc). We had our wedding ceremony at her family's house, in Nonthaburi (Parkkret). For the reception, we had dinner at one of those huge outdoor restuarants.

After the divorce...

Married second Thai woman, this time from Korat. She and family I suppose are considered low-class, even though they have nice concrete brick home, and lots of land. Once again, wedding ceremony was held at the house. So was the dinner reception, although this was held the night before. After wedding ceremony, we had a lunch reception.

Heh heh... I probably should mention that I am considered upper middle class, but that status is slipping with the increasing costs of living. I predict someday I will be on welfare, if housing and transportation costs keep skyrocketting!

Edited by Gumballl