Crackdown On Drugs [again]

george

Drug threat looms

BANGKOK:-- A renewed antinarcotics campaign will soon begin to cope with increasing abuse anticipated next year, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday.

He had instructed police, military and civilian antidrug agencies to submit to him their work plans to step up their action "in a nonviolent way" by December 15, before they take action to begin by January next year. The tendency for increasing drug abuse would stem from more production of drugs from minority groups who use drug money to buy more weapons, he added.

Suthep, who is tasked with overall national security affairs, said this campaign in its second phase needed to step up because the appraisal from the first phase had shown the expected outcome was below a target level. He did not give details about the target and did not explain why it had been underachieved.

Under the second phase, rehabilitation of drug users would be emphasised along with suppression. He said previous courses had healed more than 150,000 drug users, 30,000 of them beyond a primary target. The number of drug users expecting to be healed in the next year should reach 300,000, he added.

More budgets would be distributed to communities to heal drug users at 15,000 centres across the country, with those fully healed would be encouraged to not reuse the drugs. The areas of operations for suppression will be in three key regions - the upper North, in Bangkok and adjacent provinces, and the three southernmost provinces.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It seems to me that the most serious crime anyone can commit in Thailand these days is to have a small amount of drugs in your possession, how did this happen ?

I've read of / seen on TV cases where people are sentenced to huge amounts of prison time (20-30+ years) for drugs or other comparatively minor offences (like ATM fraud), they get more prison time than murderers, does anyone have any idea how this process turned out the way it has ? Perhaps the saying 'life is cheap' is officially endorsed in Thailand, it looks that way from where I'm sitting.

It seems to me that the most serious crime anyone can commit in Thailand these days is to have a small amount of drugs in your possession,

Hardly. Saying the wrong things can have worse consequences than a small amount of drugs in your posession. You don't go to jail for 18 years for a small amount of drugs.

It seems to me that the most serious crime anyone can commit in Thailand these days is to have a small amount of drugs in your possession, how did this happen ?

I've read of / seen on TV cases where people are sentenced to huge amounts of prison time (20-30+ years) for drugs or other comparatively minor offences (like ATM fraud), they get more prison time than murderers, does anyone have any idea how this process turned out the way it has ? Perhaps the saying 'life is cheap' is officially endorsed in Thailand, it looks that way from where I'm sitting.

I read about this laws regarding thai's sentance for drugs of a personal nature. First offence is a fine of 10,000bht and/or up to a 6 months prison time. Heroin and cocain and yabba up to a year and/or 20,000 bht.

If you consider that maximum sentances in england is up to 5 years for personal its not so bad. Luckaly in england the police and courts have realised that casual drug use is a minor.

Luckaly for thailand it seems the emphasis is now going on treatment rather than executions! Please never again any more Thaksin style lunatics.

"those fully healed would be encouraged to not reuse the drugs"

That's got to be a classic!

Classic indeed. A quote that highlights the Thai authorities rather poor understanding regarding the nature of drug addicts.

Addicts need a complete change in their lives to steer clear of their old ways. i.e.keeping away from friends that use, some kind of worthwhile employment to develop a feeling that they have a purpose in life. They also need regular counseling to get them through the bad times when they are most vulnerable to a relapse.

This involves a little more than a gentle "I say old chap, now that your clean, you will be a good fellow and refrain from your nefarious activities won't you? Good. Ok Run along now."

This is a exchange between Robert Downey jr and a Protector of Society,after his arrest for posscesion of herion.

RD-can i have a cigarette

POS-we don't give cigarette's to criminal's

RD-i am not a criminal,i am a MAN with a drug problem.

Ignorance of narcotic's and there effect is widespread in all police force's world wide.But the man knowes best. :)

I read about this laws regarding thai's sentance for drugs of a personal nature. First offence is a fine of 10,000bht and/or up to a 6 months prison time. Heroin and cocain and yabba up to a year and/or 20,000 bht.

If you consider that maximum sentances in england is up to 5 years for personal its not so bad. Luckaly in england the police and courts have realised that casual drug use is a minor.

Luckaly for thailand it seems the emphasis is now going on treatment rather than executions! Please never again any more Thaksin style lunatics.

Very intresting a mate was charged with posscesion of weed and coke for personal use,500000 thb was the "FINE" suggested by police captain and his hon.consul.SCAM OR WHAT :)

You forgot to factor in the social class/standing/wealth of the perpetrator. Poor people get punished to the full extent of the law, while others get a reduced sentence or a suspended sentence or get off entirely. Really wealthy murderers usually stay out on bail for about 5-10 years through the trials, appeals and retrials and then, if they get convicted (they usually don't get convicted) get someone else to serve their time for them. 

How to they forecast this "increasing abuse anticipated next year"

they produce the darn thing !

How to they forecast this increasing abuse anticipated next year??

I guess the same way they forecast the whordes of tourists flocking through swampy next year :)

Drug abuse always goes way up during times of economic recessions. Easy call.

At least they are looking towards rehabilitation,

and of course that includes encouragement to stay clean.

Usually that does mean ALSO getting out of the same circle that you were in socially.

For poor people in villages or smaller towns this often doesn't come easily.

Since your family is your support if you can't get a good job,

and good jobs come much harder with a drug conviction,

it's an endless circle except for the quite strong of mind.

Pibul, Sarit, Thanom,

Just add Pridi or Sanya and they can play bridge.

Or Shoot. :D

Edited by animatic