90 Day Reporting

Went to the main Korat police station yesterday to report my address. They have a form for the purpose. :o

It had to be signed by the householder and accompanied by photocopies of my passport (main page and visa), the tabien baan (house register) and the householder's ID. (What do you do if the householder is out of town for a while?)

After turning that in we asked the policeman about the 90 day registration. He was quite insistent that we could not do that at the police station and that we had to go to Immigration.

Of course, this directly contradicts what I was told by the Houston Consulate and what is posted on the Washington DC embassy web site.

So, is this a case of the Korat police being mistaken, or has there been a change in policy?

This has always been an immigration police matter and it should be done to the nearest office of immigration or to Bangkok. It can easily be done by mail. Do not believe most police stations would have the form or know what to check. All the Official immigration web sites for Bangkok have been down for the last week but the form is online and can be downloaded. But you have 8x days to worry about that. Take it easy for a few days. :o

Edited by lopburi3

This has always been an immigration police matter and it should be done to the nearest office of immigration or to Bangkok.  It can easily be done by mail.  Do not believe most police stations would have the form or know what to check.  All the Official immigration web sites for Bangkok have been down for the last week but the form is online and can be downloaded.  But you have 8x days to worry about that.  Take it easy for a few days. :o

He is just a tad early Lop. Once he settles in he'll grow slack :D

As far as I know, reporting can only be accomplished at Room 401 at Soi Suan Phlu. They will accept mail-in reporting - but only at that one room. You can do six other Immigration transactions within that building, but none of them count as 90-day reporting - you MUST visit (or mail in to) that one room - they are the only ones who can put the 90-day paper slip into your passport.

But - my impression is that fewer 10% of foreigners on long-term stays in Thailand even comply with the 90 day reporting rule. If you never start reporting, they never seem to notice or care. Once you do start reporting, you must then keep it up - but if you stop going, nothing happens, until you next show up- they then hit you up for a 2,000 baht fine.

What I noticed is that when long-term stay individuals are renewing one-year entry permits downstairs, the officials frequently point out that applicants have failed to make 90 day reports, and advise you to do so upstairs - but they never decline to renew the one year entry permit, or follow-up on whether you complied. They certainly do not assist with enforcement.

I suspect that - someday - when Immigration needs a large, quick cash infusion for some reason, they will simply "flip the switch"and begin enforcement of 90-day reporting - possibly with a bigger fine (or, 2,000 bhat fine during a 10 day amnesty period, 5,000 baht after that - and no completing any other immigration actions until you comply). Another way would be to enforce this at the airport - if you are more than 90 days since last exit, and have no 90 day slip, 2,000 baht fine.

Esay money - and they will just be enforcing a long-standing rule. I find it fairly incredible that Immigration has never milked this cow - I assume they are saving this bounty for a "rainy day" .

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

A) I know a guy a few villages from here who does his 90 days reporting in Ranong.

:o I got a extension for retirement in feb and they attached a small sheet warning me I need to do the 90 days reporting before may second.

I will report by mail, got forms and instructions from room 401 upstairs.

I do think they enforce the 90 days reporting now.

A) I know a guy a few villages from here who does his 90 days reporting in Ranong.

:o I got a extension for retirement in feb and they attached a small sheet warning me I need to do the 90 days reporting before may second.

I will report by mail, got forms and instructions from room 401 upstairs.

I do think they enforce the 90 days reporting now.

They are enforcing nowdays.

The following from the Thai Embassy (Washington DC) web site on retirement visas:

Recommendations for the Alien While Staying in the Kingdom.

When completing the stay of 90 days in the Kingdom, the alien shall report to the competent authority and repeat it every 90 days with the immigration officer in the alien's residence area, or report to the police station in the alien's residence area if there is no immigration control there.

(In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows:

- The Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp as well as a self addressed evelop with postage affixed, shall be forwarded, by 7 days before the due date, by acknowledgement of receipt mail to the Immigration Bureau, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120.

- In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.)

(Emphasis supplied.)

Clearly, they at least contemplated accomplishing 90 day reporting at police stations.....

:o

The following from the Thai Embassy (Washington DC)  web site on retirement visas:

((cut))

(Emphasis supplied.)

Clearly, they at least contemplated accomplishing 90 day reporting at police stations.....

Hope you have high option GEHA as you may need it if you expect everything printed to be as you assume it to be; or mean what it may appear to mean. Expect the unexpected and enjoy the difference. :D

Hope you have high option GEHA as you may need it if you expect everything printed to be as you assume it to be; or mean what it may appear to mean.  Expect the unexpected and enjoy the difference.  :D

Don't worry. I'm quite relaxed. Just trying to post what I actually experience so that others will know what to expect. Isn't that what sharing on this forum is all about?

Hope you have high option GEHA as you may need it if you expect everything printed to be as you assume it to be; or mean what it may appear to mean.  Expect the unexpected and enjoy the difference.  :D

Don't worry. I'm quite relaxed. Just trying to post what I actually experience so that others will know what to expect. Isn't that what sharing on this forum is all about?

Sure is and we are just kidding you. But you do seem to be really active in first few days here - what are you going to find to keep you occupied the rest of the year? :D

Sure is and we are just kidding you.  But you do seem to be really active in first few days here - what are you going to find to keep you occupied the rest of the year? :D

Good point. I've been devoting some time to this just so that my recent experiences would get posted for those who follow. I certainly appreciate what others had posted in the past.

As for the future? Well, I've been here four days now and have yet to pop my first Chang!

i have been on 1 year visas for the past 2 years and report to Room 401 each 90days . When i asked about posting them my address each time they said because i only live 1hour away i must come in. People living further away may post it. Also i was told you have 7 days either side of the date printed for next return.

The one time i lost my return slip from my passport they were very helpful & looked through there copies to locate it,

MM

i have been on 1 year visas for the past 2 years and report to Room 401 each 90days . When i asked about posting them my address each time they said because i only live 1hour away i must come in. People living further away may post it. Also i was told you have 7 days either side of the date printed for next return.

The one time i lost my return slip from my passport they were very helpful & looked through there copies to locate it,

MM

Dress reasonably and be polite. They will always help you. :o

The following from the Thai Embassy (Washington DC)  web site on retirement visas:

Recommendations for the Alien While Staying in the Kingdom.

When completing the stay of 90 days in the Kingdom, the alien shall report to the competent authority and repeat it every 90 days with the immigration officer in the alien's residence area, or report to the police station in the alien's residence area if there is no immigration control there.

That is correct, as it is a direct quote from the Immigration Act BE 2522.

However this is Thailand.

I suggest you report by post to Suan Plu, Bangkok, unless you want to take the

matter higher up the chain of command at Korat Police Station.

Here's a odd thing that happened at my 90 day report, today, at Phuket city.

Now, before I went today, my TM47 receipt had 4 "Contact Again" date stamps on it: the original date stamp from the original form, plus three extra stamps - one for each of the next three times I reported. So the last three times I reported, the guy gave me back the form that I'd completed and merely added another stamp to the TM47 slip that I already had.

This time, being lazy, I didn't bother filling in the form. I saw the same guy and he said that I must do a TM47 next time, and that, really, I should have done one this time.

So I said sorry and promised to do one next time - and he even gave me a blank form.

He said something about the extension and I agreed that I would be back to extend for another year next month. Then he gave me my 5th date stamp on the old form.

But when I got home, I discovered he's given me a "Contact Again" date stamp that matches my extension renewal date - that is, only about 5 weeks from now instead of 90 days.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

I would never trust the post, regardless of it being registered. Just think of the hustle factor if your passport is lost. Walk in and report.

You do not send your passport - only copies of relevant pages.

Thanx much for that,Lop.! I was starting to get as confused about this as some of us were about the multi OA re-entry thing.

In spite of what Indo has posted,I

take it I can do my 90 day report in C.Mai come August in person.Correct??

(In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows:

- The Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo, personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp as well as a self addressed evelop with postage affixed, shall be forwarded, by 7 days before the due date, by acknowledgement of receipt mail to the Immigration Bureau, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120.

This implies mail reporting has to be sent to Bangkok. Can I mail it to Chiang Mai Immigration instead?

When I got my first one year visa, I had a stamp telling me to report in 90 days. I did it once. No more stamps. Since then my visa has been extended numerous times for two years already and not even once the 90 day rule has been mentioned.

I'd say that room 401 is just an excuse for collecting money for the Immigration Department without any real justification and no enforcement (because no one else gets his share of that money).

Enforcement is the real issue with "make up as you go" rules. People just get non-compliant and there's nothing you can do about.

When I got my first one year visa, I had a stamp telling me to report in 90 days. I did it once. No more stamps. Since then my visa has been extended numerous times for two years already and not even once the 90 day rule has been mentioned.

I'd say that room 401 is just an excuse for collecting money for the Immigration Department without any real justification and no enforcement (because no one else gets his share of that money).

Enforcement is the real issue with "make up as you go" rules. People just get non-compliant and there's nothing you can do about.

I hear what you're saying,Plus,but Im of the attitude that I would just be one of those they would "stick it to". Rather be safe than sorry..

Also this lack of enforcement could turn into rigid enforcement at the drop of a hat.I just don't (personally) think its worth it to tempt fate ,especially since this is relatively simple matter.

I'm on the same frequency - afterall, spending a day off work going to Suan Plu... But since they didn't put any stamps or issued any reminders, either verbal or written, I gave it a miss. My next renewal is due in two weeks. Let's see what happens. I can always blame it on the company and let THEM talk to Immigration. I somehow think that they will be all apologies, then promises, then I'll be let off the hook.

90 day reporting is required by immigration law and is not a make up rule. Not reporting now opens you to up to 5,000 baht plus 200 baht per day fines. As a receipt is stapled into passport it will not be hard to find those in violation.

.... Mr. Plus+ informed us.

I think Mr. Plus+ that one year visa which have to be extended numerous times in two years don't require this form. And stamps are never put in the passport, but on the little paper.

.... Mr. Plus+ went on.

No Mr. Plus+, I don't think so. Untill now at least you didn't have to pay one satang. If you don't apply with the rule you might have to pay a fine. I don't see a conspiracie there.

Enjoy!

The 90 day rule is one that they often forget, then suddenly dust it off and start

enforcing with vigour.

All of us with long stay visas are well advised to report.

It costs nothing, but not reporting can cost a big fine!!

There's no conspiracy, I agree, also there are no papers stapled in my passport (apart from original TM). I'm sure there was one when I paid for the first time but nothing since.

They CAN hit me with the fine but I think it's unlikely.

Mr. Limbo, one year visa does't require this form? I'm not sure what you mean.

When I said that it's unjustifiable and a "made up" rule I meant what it is in reality, not that it's not in the law.

This rule doesn't seem to serve any real purpose.

There's no conspiracy, I agree, also there are no papers stapled in my passport (apart from original TM). I'm sure there was one when I paid for the first time but nothing since.

They CAN hit me with the fine but I think it's unlikely.

Mr. Limbo, one year visa does't require this form? I'm not sure what you mean.

When I said that it's unjustifiable and a "made up" rule I meant what it is in reality, not that it's not in the law.

This rule doesn't seem to serve any real purpose.

That makes 2 of us Plus.I have no idea what Limbo meant either by the "1 yr.visa not requiring the form"..

As far as the "purpose" is concerned,I always figured that with either the regular or multi O visa, or a tourist visa once extended 30 days, (90 days in both cases) one must leave Thailand before the next visa/entry can be activated,(if any).

Since one doesnt have to leave with the yr. visa (only report their address) Thai Imm. looks at this as

"keeping tabs" since otherwise you

would have needed to depart Thailand.In other words, as far as Thai Imm. law is concerned,after 90 days its either"leave or tell us where you are". 90 days being the arbitrary time frame established by law......