Applying For My First Driving Licence

Longbow212

From reading around the issue on TV I understand I need the following documents:

-drivers licence from country of origin (UK).

-letter from embassy to verify my drivers licence is real

-letter from embassy to verify my address in Thailand

-work permit and signed photocopies

-passport and signed photocopies

What I don't know is how long and how much it costs for my embassy to give me the documentation and what hours they are open. I would also like to know exactly where the test/licence issuing place is near mo chit.

Thanks

-drivers licence from country of origin (UK). with photocopies

-letter from embassy to verify my drivers licence is real No, you need a IDP, International Driving permit, although some offices will issue with only a driving licence in English

-letter from embassy to verify my address in Thailand. Also can get a letter from Immigrations But you will not need it if you have copies of your WP

-work permit and signed photocopies See above

-passport and signed photocopies. Also of Visa and TM.8 (arrival card)

-Medical certificate.

Firstly, requirements seem to vary from department to department, even from officer to officer inside a single department depending on their mood, so don't be surprised if you get a requested for additional documents, like copy of house rental contract or copy of tambien baan (house book) of the rental house/apartment you rent or even sometimes your landlords house. I would just bring signed copies anyway to be safe. Then again you may just as easily be told the stuff you bring isn't needed. And also attitude is everything when it comes to dealing with a Thai in a position of authority. It continues to amaze me how a little wai and a continuous smile can unlock so many doors for you when dealing with Thais.

-letter from embassy to verify my drivers licence is real No, you need a IDP, International Driving permit, although some offices will issue with only a driving licence in English

They never asked me for an IDP, only to print out an explanation of what classes where listed on my DL from the website of the DMV from back home, IE: Class C = car and Class M = motorcycle. I imagine an IDP would probably have eliminated that need.

-letter from embassy to verify my address in Thailand. Also can get a letter from Immigrations But you will not need it if you have copies of your WP

Many immigration offices have stopped issuing this letter. One possible alternative if the Embassey option isn't viable for you (i.e. you are anywhere in Thailand besides Bangkok) is to use a photocopy of the 90 reporting reciept that is (or should be) stapled in your passport. (see below) This has worked for me.

scan0002.jpg

"From reading around the issue on TV I understand I need the following documents:

-drivers licence from country of origin (UK).

-letter from embassy to verify my drivers licence is real

-letter from embassy to verify my address in Thailand

-work permit and signed photocopies

-passport and signed photocopies"

1) Photocopies of front and back of UK licence.

2) Not required

3)* Certificate of Residency from Immigration or your Embassy/Consulate

4) Not required

5) Photocopies of information page and Visa page of Passport

6)** Medical from hospital

7) 180bht per licence (separate car and motorcycle)

* You will need proof of address, copies of contract or lease (or signed photocopy of house book and house owners ID countersigned by owner) along with two passport photos and copies of the Visa pages and info pages from your passport, cost is about 500bht and usually done at immigration office while you wait.

** Any hospital will do this while you wait, costs about 100bht

This is what is required in ChaingMai region.

Edited by pjclark1

1) Photocopies of front and back of UK licence.

I only provided a photocopy of the front of my Licence (Australian).

3)* Certificate of Residency from Immigration or your Embassy/Consulate

4) Not required

Cert of residency is not required if one has a work permit.