No More Touts At Airport !

andybangkok

Returning from a trip of 5 days in Taiwan at 22:00, I was very surprised but very pleased to see that the touts at the airport have disappeared, at least from where I have exited. After the baggage claim at carousel # 18 and the "nothing to declare" custom, two employees holding a big banner saying "Welcome to Thailand". greeted us. After that, others employees directed us downstairs at the public taxis at exit # 7 and the airport shuttle bus at exit # 8. And all that with a Thai smile.I have take the plane at least 20 times in the last 3 years and it is the first time no one hassle me to take a mafia taxi. Hope this will be forever!!!

I always take the airport bus # 3 Sukhumvit line because I live near Phra Khanong BTS. They take the highway to Bang-Na and going down on Sukhumvit. But this time they tell me that they have reverse the route and that Phra Khanong will be the second last stop with On-Nut being the last.

Only 4 peoples was in this bus. The driver take the highway # 34 direction Samut Prakhan . 45 minutes later the first person get out at Pratunam.

At Big C the driver stopped and open the doors. At my surprise 6 peoples jump on the bus. I asked a girl where they are going and she tell me On-Nut.

The driver stop at every bus stop along Sukhumvit and INVITE peoples to enter the bus who was already full packed . To tell you the truth I was not very happy.

After 4 hours in the plane from Taipei I was expecting to relax in the airport bus and not being crowded and hearing at high volume traditional Thai music .

For sure the driver get paid as peoples around me said they give 10 bahts to him.

Also I went to the Thai embassy in Taipei just to check if I can have a double entries visa. Absolutely not. Only 1 entry. And they ask me : HAVE YOU A RETURN TICKET TO YOUR COUNTRY? I smile and said "khawp khun khrap" and went out..AMAZING THAILAND

Anybody that tried taking the Airport Express regularly knows what a slimeball service it is. There is no supervision of the drivers and they will often avoid the tollway and pick up additional passengers or change the route for their own convenience. They may stop for food or to make a phone call. The radio may be so loud as to give you a headache and the air conditioning may or may not be too cold or non existant. I've seen them not come to a complete stop when folks with heavy back packs are exiting and literaly falling down onto the road.

What a bunch of disgusting morons.

I noticed that there were no touts on my return to Bangkok last week. Good news.

Cheers, Rick

I have been there three times in the last week, and the touts are still there pestering people. I just went through an hour or so ago, and on this occasion none around. Probably already hauled off some unsuspecting tourist, highly unlikely that they have cleared up the place.

They must have been on a tea break or out behind the airport stabbing someone to death or something. sure as the sun will rise the touts will be back, thats never gonna change.

welcome back andy.

:D

:) A load of crap! I arrived today on PG 217 from Samui and as I exited Arrivals and walked through GATE No.2, a guy leaps from a moving car (with 2 guys inside) and bails myself and other passengers up trying to flog a trip to Pattaya and he was standing right next to an AOT Security guard who was directing traffic on the road. AOT management ? worthless pricks !

Just dream on - and enter any genuine meter taxi - as a mate did yesterday.

Meter was never switched on, driver drives around using someone else's yellow

drivers' card... 1,300 Baht!

There may not be a tout, but scams will continue.

The crook used someone else's card - watch out for this one and that the meter gets turned on!

post-7704-1259113011_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kf6vci

They must have been on a tea break or out behind the airport stabbing someone to death or something. sure as the sun will rise the touts will be back, thats never gonna change.

welcome back andy.

:D

:) A load of crap! I arrived today on PG 217 from Samui and as I exited Arrivals and walked through GATE No.2, a guy leaps from a moving car (with 2 guys inside) and bails myself and other passengers up trying to flog a trip to Pattaya and he was standing right next to an AOT Security guard who was directing traffic on the road. AOT management ? worthless pricks !

But the touts do seem to have gone from INSIDE the building. Upon exiting customs the other day (14:00) the place looked like a ghost town. Even the ground floor seemed peaceful. Perhaps swine flu scare? Nah, nothing will part a tout from potential cash.

i just came through last week and didnt see or hear a single one, not that it matters, just get in the taxi line and then there is no problem,,,,if they dont want to use the meter just get out and get another, pretty simple really

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody that tried taking the Airport Express regularly knows what a slimeball service it is. There is no supervision of the drivers and they will often avoid the tollway and pick up additional passengers or change the route for their own convenience. They may stop for food or to make a phone call. The radio may be so loud as to give you a headache and the air conditioning may or may not be too cold or non existant. I've seen them not come to a complete stop when folks with heavy back packs are exiting and literaly falling down onto the road.

What a bunch of disgusting morons.

Taxis are still a better option.

I came in again tonight and had to wait a while for the wife to pick me up. I saw a people carrier on the other side of the barrier across the road from the exits, from which emerged 5 touts. There was no queue at the taxi meter ranks or the AOT desk. I then saw two guys arriving that passed the legit taxi ranks and approached the touts who at this point were trying to lure new arrivals into their area.

A policeman on one of those two wheeled stand up contraptions arrived on the scene and the touts got back into the people carrier and did a runner. The two arriving tourists were reprimanded by the officer and sent to the official rank. I was there for about 30 min's and the copper was doing a great job in not allowing cars to park near the arrivals.

Credit where credit's due.

Cheers, Rick

• 4 weeks later...

They are back.

Arrived tonight at 7pm. First one stopped me right outside customs. Well dressed guy with official looking yellow id card. Second was a girl, also with id card pinned to her jacket, intercepted me right in the middle of pedestrian crossing and spoke in low conspiratory tone.

The last two guys approached me at the Free Shuttle bus stop. Definitely downmarket, both heavy, older, greasyface wearing shorts and ripped up tshirts.

All same question: "Taxi, Bangkok, Pattaya?"