Board Of Directors For Foundation

earlofwindermere

I sit on the Board of Directors of a foundation here in Chiang Mai. When I first joined, I had to submit a criminal record check from my home country. This was not a problem since I was still living there at the time.

As per our bylaws, a new Board was just voted in and I am still on it. Apparently, the government requires another criminal record check from my home country...even though I've been living in Thailand for the past 5 years. Since I have no plans to travel back to my home country in the next few months, I cannot get the check done. The local consulate and the embassy in Bangkok do not provide this service as it must be done by a police agency.

Since there are hundreds of foundations in the city, I am assuming that one or two other farang have come across this same problem. What have you done?

Hi Mr Windemere

My Husband just had to do the same, he works in Close Protection.

Thai Police Clearance Instructions:

Police Clearance Service Center (Sub-Division 2, General Staff Division, Special Branch Bureau)

Monday to Friday (Except Public Holidays), from 08.30 am . – 04.30 pm. without lunch break.

The Police Clearance Service Center is located at Building 24, Royal Thai Police Headquarters, Rama I, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Phone number: 0-2205-2168-9

Directions

The best way to get to the Royal Thai Police Headquarters is by taking BTS to Siam Square station. The entrance is located on Rama I Rd, halfway between Henry Dunant and Ratchadamri Rds.

Documents required (foreign applicant)

1) Passport with two photocopies of first page and two of the current visa page

2) Document(s) certify that the applicant is working, used to work, or is residing in Thailand (Non-Imm B or job offer should be enough)

Notes

No charge for the police certificate itself. They will fingerprint you and take your picture while there. If you want the certificate mailed to you, you’ll have to pay a fee for postage. Otherwise, you can pick up the certificate in about 2 weeks.

Are you on the board of directors for a charity involving Children? Just wondering why you need to proove you have no criminal record.

:)

Thanks for your responses.

From what I've been told, ALL foreign directors on any Foundation Board are required to show proof.

After a lot of phone calls today, it appears that if the local consulate/embassy confirms that you have been living in Thailand since the last record check, the government will actually be fine with the other documents (ie passport, visa, etc). It appears as if the Bangkok trip for the certificate may not be necessary. However; if it is, thanks for the info on how to get there Clasbyclan.