Thai Public Health Ministry Sees New Flu Outbreak

george

Public health ministry sees new flu outbreak

BANGKOK: -- A second round of Type A (H1N1) influenza has emerged in Thailand this month, as a third of the soldiers in a Phetchabun army base and many schoolchildren in Nakhon Ratchasima, Samut Prakan and other provinces have shown flu-like symptoms.

Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai said Thursday that the ministry instructed hospitals to prepare stocks of antiviral medications and to closely monitor high-risk groups.

The government will order one million doses of imported vaccines, he said, with 800,000 to be given to the Disease Control Department to treat high-risk persons, while the rest will be for the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO) to sell to private medical facilities.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

this strain is not more virulent, than the previous one, so no panic.

the best is to wait for the next wave and better vaccination. Those vaccines available now were not tested properly, to short and on to small population and in itself might pose more health problems, than getting sick (in some 70% cases there are no flu symptoms - but your body will build up resistence against future, more virulent flu).

you have to calculate risk - if you are working with sick and come accross of flu cases, you might consider a shot, for you own and their protection.

myself I got just some tamiflu, it's expired already, but I keep it in the freezer and will use it when symptoms are bad

Edited by londonthai

Can we get vaccin in Thailand already? How to do? Thanks :)

Welcome to the media panic.....!

Hope we all have shares in the pharmaceutical companies....and enjoy the dividends. :D

Vaccination is only recommended for high risk individual, with chronic deseases though.

Just take a bit more care, not shake hands and wash your hands frequently.

Hope we all have shares in the pharmaceutical companies....and enjoy the dividends. :D

Vaccination is only recommended for high risk individual, with chronic deseases though.

Well said.

Why? Do you know me ? I have a chronic deseases, asthma...

I really wonder whether getting vaccinated is a terribly good idea for people who don't have "pre-conditions" that could turn nasty in conjunction with swine flu. On the one hand, there is a disturbing amount of "news" (or is it sensationalism, or does it originate from conspiracy theorists? dunno...) regarding negative effects that various vaccines could/can/does/whatever have. On the other hand, getting swine flu isn't really the end of the world (I mean: who hasn't been through "normal" flus & survived), and once you've had it, there's your self-grown vaccine for the rest of your life!

It's been said that people over 65 years of age don't need to worry, because there was a similar/comparable swine flu around "back then", so they're very likely immune against what's around now.

Having said that, not getting a vaccination would of course go entirely against massive interests of the pharma industry... they're in for the really big buck...

Why is it, every time I read about the subject of flu vaccines here in Thailand, the news is about the government "planning" or "ordering" or the like..

So now we're into the second round of this particular flu. But I've never seen any actual report saying the vaccine is already available here, or when it will be available at the public level.

I guess that means, for now, it isn't publicly available.

My wife works as a nurse's aid at one of the larger western-oriented private hospitals in BKK. And she hasn't been vaccinated, says none of the doctors and nurses where she works have been vaccinated, and says they've been told nothing as yet about if/when they will be vaccinated. And they, I do believe, are supposed to be among the priority groups.

the best is to wait for the next wave and better vaccination. Those vaccines available now were not tested properly, to short and on to small population and in itself might pose more health problems, than getting sick (in some 70% cases there are no flu symptoms - but your body will build up resistence against future, more virulent flu).

you have to calculate risk - if you are working with sick and come accross of flu cases, you might consider a shot, for you own and their protection.

myself I got just some tamiflu, it's expired already, but I keep it in the freezer and will use it when symptoms are bad

And you would be spreading this information on what authority?

third of soldiers and pupils with symptoms, non serious, no hospitalisation and no serious cases - this strain is not more virulent, than the previous one, when some people did die in thailand.

in some countries, for example in the UK, parents do organise "flu parties" where kids get infected on purpose from the other kids, who are ill - to strenthen their immune system for the winter time, when the next outbrake is expected (as every single winter, when body defence is at the lowest).

I did write about calculating risk - decision is yours, I did choose tamiflu, at this stage, but will consider a shot at some if the situation worsens.

I am not an authority in any field whatsoever - I was thinking we are running, more or less, educated discussion, then "spreading information". If you are in need of info search the net.

Edited by londonthai

In Norway they already have 9 million doses of this vaccine. Why do not Thailand have 140 million of it?

Norway have 4,8 million inhabitants, Thailand have more than 60 millions. Somebody do not doing their job here.

third of soldiers and pupils with symptoms, non serious, no hospitalisation and no serious cases - this strain is not more virulent, than the previous one, when some people did die in thailand.

in some countries, for example in the UK, parents do organise "flu parties" where kids get infected on purpose from the other kids, who are ill - to strenthen their immune system for the winter time, when the next outbrake is expected (as every single winter, when body defence is at the lowest).

I did write about calculating risk - decision is yours, I did choose tamiflu, at this stage, but will consider a shot at some if the situation worsens.

I am not an authority in any field whatsoever - I was thinking we are running, more or less, educated discussion, then "spreading information". If you are in need of info search the net.

Awesome response. :D:):D :D

In Norway they already have 9 million doses of this vaccine. Why do not Thailand have 140 million of it?

Norway have 4,8 million inhabitants, Thailand have more than 60 millions. Somebody do not doing their job here.

why do have twice what is needed, if you are not using it right now. Shortly, there would be a new strain of flu and new, adequate vaccin. Anyway, small kids should not get vaccinated, and for the rest it should be voluntary (some will chose not to have one).

In france only some 10% of medical stuff got the jab, the rest are wating for something better.

tamiflu might be the better option, still, at this time.

I think there is too much hype. As this strain is no more contractible than the last, let's wait and see how severe the symptoms are (except for those of you with lung related issues, this flu usually kills from complications due to pneumonia or other lung-related ailments)

My gf has been assisting in a hospital in Nakhon Ratchasima for the past month and a half as a pediatrician (and I've been hearing about the childhood fatalities), I will see her tomorrow, let's see if I get sick! :)

If the symptoms aren't too bad, and you are generally a healthy person, it is better for you to get infected now while it is still relatively benign so that you build up an immunity to it. I think the fear with swine flu is what it will develop into over the next year.

The Bangkok Post reported from the health ministry that more than 8m people had been infected with more than 1.6m of those coming from Bangkok or 20% of the total infected.

However, I only know of one person who caught it, the son of a marketing officer at one of the local stock brokers. Today I roughly counted all the people I know and their families which makes up about 60 people and there is only this one person. I also asked a manager of about 40 people in an accounting office if any of his staff caught it in the last wave and he said nobody had reported that they got it. The same went for a vice president of another broker who has about 100 marketing staff under her. She said nobody had reported sick due to the flu but 3-4 did have children who'd got it.

So all in all from more than 200 people about 5 people caught it from my sample group. That's about 2.5% not 20%.

Perhaps one explanation is that for many the flu is very mild and out of that 8m perhaps two-thirds of them didn't know they had it. Or the numbers are over-estimated in the first place.

I dont want to risk anything as we´re going to Los in March and bring "another kid" home so we tock the shoots a few weeks back me and my TGF , the youngest one living with us tock it to day in school here in Falangland .. now the oldest one , the one weré going to bring home here is sick , alot of pain in his arms and legs , sweat like a pig (swine) etc.

He´s been to the doctor today but they dont know whats´wrong really so he have to come back in a few days if he´s not feeling better! Not great to stay here and dont have a clue whats happening really! :D

Im trying to get him and a few others in the family to get some medicine/vaccine now but the answer is the cure is: too expancive , too long cue , it´s free , it cost´s 700bhat or even 3000bhat!

Anyone here hap a clue? :)

Found this an interesting response in the UK

LONDON, Nov 18 (Reuters) - More than half of Britons being offered vaccination against pandemic H1N1 flu are turning it down because they fear side-effects or think the virus is too mild to bother, a survey of doctors showed on Wednesday.

Many of the 107 family doctors polled by Britain's Pulse magazine said there was widespread resistance from patients and on average only 46 percent of those offered the vaccination agree to have it.

Doctors reported particular difficulties in persuading pregnant women to be vaccinated against the virus, according to Pulse, a trade newspaper for doctors.

"In all the pregnant women we've offered it to, I think only about one in 20 has agreed," Dr Chris Udenze, a family doctor based in Nottingham, central England, said in the survey.

Scepticism has been growing in Britain and other European countries about health authorities' handling of the H1N1 pandemic because the number of people infected has been lower than originally feared.

Britain began a vaccination programme on Oct. 21 for high-risk hospital patients, front-line healthcare workers, children in seasonal flu risk groups, pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems.

British health authorities have twice revised down their worst-case scenarios for H1N1 flu, which was declared a pandemic in June and has killed more than 7,000 people worldwide, according to latest data from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.

Original estimates that as many as 65,000 could die from H1N1 in Britain have now been cut to a prediction of around 1,000 deaths -- way below the average annual toll of 4,000 to 8,000 deaths from seasonal winter flu.

Richard Hoey, Pulse's editor, said his survey showed that many patients, and a substantial number of doctors were "unconvinced there is sufficient evidence that swine flu vaccination is safe and necessary".

A spokesman for the government's health department said it was "too early to speculate on uptake rates" for H1N1 vaccines but that doctors were working hard to reach as many patients as possible with their initial supplies.

"We recommend that people in the at risk groups accept the offer of vaccination," he said. "People in the risk groups are more likely to be severely ill if they catch swine flu, and the vaccine provides the best protection against the disease." (Editing by Elizabeth Fullerton)

My fifteen year old son had swine flu a month or so ago. He doesn't often get sick and he was pretty sick indeed...I took him to the doctor as I was thinking it might be dengue. He was diagnosed with swine flu and they phoned me to come in and get Tamiflu. This was about five days into the illness. I read that Tamiflu is no use after the first few days and that it really only lessens the symptoms. When I refused the 'help' the nurse put me through to the doctor where I gave my little Doctor Face Saving speech and everything was fine after she told me that he was getting better now and didn't need the drugs!

I'm glad that he's got a natural immunisation now and that it wasn't dengue. :)

Saw on CNN that over 55% of Americans are turning it down also due to fear of side affects. I was recently knocked down for about 3-4 days with slight fever, congestion and cough but I'm feeling better now. Never did buy anything more than Tiffy to stay the symptoms while resting and drinking lots of water. Still have a cough but I also smoke a pack a day so that doesn't help any. :) Oh, and Yes, I live here in Thailand and have been here almost 8 years now.

Found this an interesting response in the UK

LONDON, Nov 18 (Reuters) - More than half of Britons being offered vaccination against pandemic H1N1 flu are turning it down because they fear side-effects or think the virus is too mild to bother, a survey of doctors showed on Wednesday.

Many of the 107 family doctors polled by Britain's Pulse magazine said there was widespread resistance from patients and on average only 46 percent of those offered the vaccination agree to have it.

Doctors reported particular difficulties in persuading pregnant women to be vaccinated against the virus, according to Pulse, a trade newspaper for doctors.

"In all the pregnant women we've offered it to, I think only about one in 20 has agreed," Dr Chris Udenze, a family doctor based in Nottingham, central England, said in the survey.

Scepticism has been growing in Britain and other European countries about health authorities' handling of the H1N1 pandemic because the number of people infected has been lower than originally feared.

Britain began a vaccination programme on Oct. 21 for high-risk hospital patients, front-line healthcare workers, children in seasonal flu risk groups, pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems.

British health authorities have twice revised down their worst-case scenarios for H1N1 flu, which was declared a pandemic in June and has killed more than 7,000 people worldwide, according to latest data from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.

Original estimates that as many as 65,000 could die from H1N1 in Britain have now been cut to a prediction of around 1,000 deaths -- way below the average annual toll of 4,000 to 8,000 deaths from seasonal winter flu.

Richard Hoey, Pulse's editor, said his survey showed that many patients, and a substantial number of doctors were "unconvinced there is sufficient evidence that swine flu vaccination is safe and necessary".

A spokesman for the government's health department said it was "too early to speculate on uptake rates" for H1N1 vaccines but that doctors were working hard to reach as many patients as possible with their initial supplies.

"We recommend that people in the at risk groups accept the offer of vaccination," he said. "People in the risk groups are more likely to be severely ill if they catch swine flu, and the vaccine provides the best protection against the disease." (Editing by Elizabeth Fullerton)

Many years ago back in the UK I used to take a "flu jab" every year. They were offered free by the company I worked for at the time. One year we had a really bad experience with this medication. Everyone receiving the jab had flu-like symptoms and felt really bad but these symptoms lasted for weeks and then went away for a short time only to return again! This went on for the whole Winter.

To be honest we would have been better off having the flu itself. Since then I have never taken a flu jab. Trouble is with vaccines you don't really know how it will affect you have taken it. Maybe waiting is the best strategy?

Hmm. I have some friends in Australia all quite healthy and "non-risk" - going overseas so decided to get the shot. They all ended up with swine flu within days of it - nothing serious and did not get in the way of their trip, but what if they were in a risk group?

I wouldn't bother with it at all.

Too much hype? Not sure about that.

The CDC in the United States estimates 4000 swine flu related deaths nation wide (US only) between May and October. The actual numbers are between 2800 and 6100, so estimate is put at 4000.

Not sure about the rest of you, but this number is surprisingly high. Don't believe it?...look it up.

Doesn't mean we need to panic, but I'll certainly be a bit more aware with my kids and make sure they don't get a fever related illness that goes to their lungs untreated.

A flu shot may indeed bring on flu-like symptoms (or a neurotic placebo affect). I have been getting the regular flu shot for the past several years. Most years, about 2-3 days after the shot, I develop a mild fever and feel under the weather. Not really sick, but definitely not well. This year, I had the shot with no side effects whatsoever. This is the seasonal flu shot, not the swine flu.

For a lot of people, including youngsters, they may have underlying conditions that they aren't aware of. They may not have developed symptoms as of yet.

I was told by the Dr., but I don't know if it's true or not, that the seasonal flu shot will convey some immune response to the swine flu as well. I would think there would be some studies that show the rate of infection and severity for those who have had a regular flu shot.

I can certainly understand some people's concerns about the shot. If I had small children it would be a difficult decision to make.