Getting To Ko Lanta

DarloKnight

The best is from Krabi. There are bus services from Krabi Airport for about 600 Baht. From Phuket it takes you about 4 hours by car or 2 hours by boat (pier to pier).

You must have bought your car from Fred Flintstone as it does not take four hours to get to the pier from Phuket. Takes me typically two and half hours once off of Phuket.

Spot on advice though for the bus from Krabi Airport.

The best is from Krabi. There are bus services from Krabi Airport for about 600 Baht. From Phuket it takes you about 4 hours by car or 2 hours by boat (pier to pier).

You must have bought your car from Fred Flintstone as it does not take four hours to get to the pier from Phuket. Takes me typically two and half hours once off of Phuket.

Spot on advice though for the bus from Krabi Airport.

Live south of Krabi and never been able to meet you're flight path record...!! Hare and the tortoise??

Bet you use your Thai style headlight flash on the wrong side of the road....get the f out of my way...just kidding..I know its 4 lane..

Am about 45 mins from Hwy 4 Ko Lanta turn off ..great day out... :) .....Wish I'd bought land there in 2004............

Okay stand corrected.."she who must be obeyed" "advises me" that if "you drive too fast" we go from home in Ao Tong/Wang Wissett to Kata Central (our friends bar) in 3.5 hours..... how to do?

Edited by David006

Thanks for the advice, I keep telling the hubby Krabi but he says the flights are a bit pricey to Krabi and he is a bit tight :)

Also how often do the buses run from Krabi airport and do you know what time the last bus is please, and I would really appreciate if you could tell me the time of the first bus on the reverse Ko Lanta to Krabi.

Thanks

Takes me typically two and half hours once off of Phuket.

From Phuket Airport to Saladan by car you'll never make in 2 1/2 hours

maybe you didn't read the post correctly, I said once off of Phuket to the pier.

Sure to saladan, you can possibly get hung up for hours in the ferry line.....

I do the trip once a month so am pretty clear on what I am talking about.

Edited by grumpyoldman

Takes me typically two and half hours once off of Phuket.

From Phuket Airport to Saladan by car you'll never make in 2 1/2 hours

O.K. here is the official rundown which I did on Tuesday:

@Chalong Circle 9:55AM

Reached Sarasin Bridge 10:44

50.4 kms in 49 minutes

Made the right turn to Krabi in Phangnga at 11:10

40.2kms in 25 minutes

Reached Krabi Airport at 12:13

108.3kms in 63 minutes

Reached the first ferry booth at 12:57

41.1kms in 44 minutes

Reached Saladan town 1:36

Summary:

Chalong Circle to the first ferry booth to Lanta 240kms 3hrs 2 minutes

Thems the facts, for the answer to your question of how late you can get from Krabi Airport to Lanta, I'm pretty sure the ferry stops at 10pm so i would think you could catch transportation no later than 8:30.

A lot of tourist took the overnight train from Bangkok to Suratthani then continue by bus to krabi and make a deal at the bus station in krabi to ko lanta. It works, don't buy the boat ticket or any transfers from krabi station to pier in suratthani, you're more likely to be rip off, the guy who sell you transfers to pier plus boat ahead is more than happy to wave his hands as the bus rolls away leaving you with your uncertainty that lies a couple hours ahead. Smart if you just pay for the bus to krabi and nothing else, don't even mention you're going to ko lanta or phi phi, don't pay for things you don't see and promises in advance that's why the guy is more than happy to wave GOODBYE to you as the bus leave, hey he's having your money for the boat to ko lanta.

cheers

Fly to Krabi on air asia, dead cheap. Bus from airport should take about 2 hours depending on driver and if it's 600baht it's a rip-off as it's only 350 from Krabi. If you haven't booked on Lanta, try ''where else'' bungalows on +66815364870, lady's name is Jaew (as in now but with a j). No aircon, just fan wooden bungalows but great people food and ambience with bikes for rent with their own beach front bar, sometimes with live music. Situated about dead centre of Lanta so great for exploring.

If you have time have a look at Krabi town, it's a great place, even got a genuine jungle right in the middle. Good place to stay is JP's mansion (opposite green house hotel) 52 Maharat Rd, Soi 5 tel: +66898661248, guys name is Rin and there's nothing he doesn't know about what to do and where to go.

Tell them Ed sent you and enjoy!

p.s. don't worry about what time the plane lands, if there's a plane landing there's buses!

Fly to Krabi on air asia, dead cheap. Bus from airport should take about 2 hours depending on driver and if it's 600baht it's a rip-off as it's only 350 from Krabi. If you haven't booked on Lanta, try ''where else'' bungalows on +66815364870, lady's name is Jaew (as in now but with a j). No aircon, just fan wooden bungalows but great people food and ambience with bikes for rent with their own beach front bar, sometimes with live music. Situated about dead centre of Lanta so great for exploring.

If you have time have a look at Krabi town, it's a great place, even got a genuine jungle right in the middle. Good place to stay is JP's mansion (opposite green house hotel) 52 Maharat Rd, Soi 5 tel: +66898661248, guys name is Rin and there's nothing he doesn't know about what to do and where to go.

Tell them Ed sent you and enjoy!

p.s. don't worry about what time the plane lands, if there's a plane landing there's buses!

Rin sure knows how to make a living: Krabi Town to Koh Lanta by mini bus is 200 baht from the one way soi towards the river from Maharat Rd.

• 2 weeks later...

Could somebody please advise me the best way to travel to Koh Lanta originating from Chiang Mai? Two factors are that 1. we will travel with an infant and that 2. we can't afford 1st class travel all the way, although we will not take long bus rides. Up to 2-3 hours or something should be O.K.

Thanks in advance.

Could somebody please advise me the best way to travel to Koh Lanta originating from Chiang Mai? Two factors are that 1. we will travel with an infant and that 2. we can't afford 1st class travel all the way, although we will not take long bus rides. Up to 2-3 hours or something should be O.K.

Thanks in advance.

Try to get the cheapest combination with Air Asia or Nok Air via Bangkok to Krabi.