Best Pork Pies

keyjor

Coming down to Pattaya next week for a few days and want to bring some pork pies and sausage rolls back with me.

When I lived there a number of years ago I used the shop way down Jomtien road near the police box, Yorkies/Porkies can't remember now.

Anyone know of any more?

Hey, Bud! American here... never had a pork pie in my life!

But, I believe you can get 'em at Yorkies, Jomtien Beach road; Villa Market on 2nd road, Pattaya; Foodmart, Jomtien; Mr. Moo's in So. Pattaya, opposite Big C; KPK Foods, near Carrefour; and many other places around here. No shortage of pork pies, Cornish pasties, and the like in the greater Pattaya area... good news for you, eh? Good Luck!

:)

Friendship Supermarket (Pattaya Tai): Update RE: Pork Pies.

Yorkies pork pies are available at 69 baht per pie.

Uncle Joe's pork pies are available at 87 baht per pie.

I have bought both types in the past and would recommend the 'Uncle Joe's' over the Yorkies. However I must point out that they both taste good, yet I feel that Yorkies pastry these days is very high in fat (lard).

You may be thinking of Simon's Soi 5 Jomtien. If so forget it. Standards have dropped. Not sure if Simon even owns it anymore.

The best hot pie place is a hole in the wall between Soi 7 and Soi 8 on Beach Road. Pasties to die for. Not sure if they do pork pies.

You may be thinking of Simon's Soi 5 Jomtien. If so forget it. Standards have dropped. Not sure if Simon even owns it anymore.

The best hot pie place is a hole in the wall between Soi 7 and Soi 8 on Beach Road. Pasties to die for. Not sure if they do pork pies.

Sorry to keep saying this but, I'm American and don't know <deleted>-tacky mushrooms about English food. But, I do live in Jomtien and I would like to try these local "Pasties to die for." Soooo, could you give me a little more to go on, for when I try to find this "hole in the wall between Soi 7 and Soi 8 on Beach Road?"

-Cheers, matey

Well Michael not a lot more to say. Its in Central Pattaya (not Jomtien) on Beach Road between Soi 7 and Soi 8. Its just a counter sandwiched between a bar and a go go.

I think its called Cornish Pasties or something like that. Start at Soi 7 on the business side of the road walk along towards Soi 8 and stop when you see the counter with the pies on it. You can order and then go sit in any of the bars and they will bring the pie to you.

Order a Cornish pastie. Your taste buds will love you for life.

Well Michael not a lot more to say. Its in Central Pattaya (not Jomtien) on Beach Road between Soi 7 and Soi 8. Its just a counter sandwiched between a bar and a go go.

I think its called Cornish Pasties or something like that. Start at Soi 7 on the business side of the road walk along towards Soi 8 and stop when you see the counter with the pies on it. You can order and then go sit in any of the bars and they will bring the pie to you.

Tarqin, I know it. It must have been there for years, they used to do superb sausage rolls. :)

yeah i agree go there when in that area good pies been there a long time now

charlie

Alllllllllllrighty, then!

Now that you've given me a good idea of where they are, I definitely will make it over there one of these days. Perhaps I shall pamper my red, white & blue taste buds with a Cornish pastie, a sausage roll and something else (a meat pie? That's not the same as a pastie, right?) to take home (on wheels, as it were)! Cheers a lot for all the poignant pastie pointers (& pertinent pie palaver)!

Alllllllllllrighty, then!

Now that you've given me a good idea of where they are, I definitely will make it over there one of these days. Perhaps I shall pamper my red, white & blue taste buds with a Cornish pastie, a sausage roll and something else (a meat pie? That's not the same as a pastie, right?) to take home (on wheels, as it were)! Cheers a lot for all the poignant pastie pointers (& pertinent pie palaver)!

:D

Michael.

Go for it mate. Compare notes when I am in Pattaya.

Red, white and blue taste buds, brilliant.

Simple Simons, cant vouch for their Pies or Pasties never tried them.

But their Sausages are definatly still good.

You need to go to MR MOO across street from south Pattaya BIG C next to AAA INS. they have the best in town , small shop . All hand made stuff, pies, amercian and brit plus scott egg, dry cure bacon ,sausage and more .

The pies are 450 gm or 250 gm lots of meat , makes all the others look like @&% they give Bisto free to add more gravey as there is so much meat in the pies ......

Holiday sausage also , fruit sausage , hot Italian , American Jimmy Dean type Reg / Hot , sausage patties....take a look there and you will like it I am sure and for all the others that replyed .......you should try this small shop also quality is great and it is so clean inside shop you will be impressed.

good eating :)

PS : they have American pot pies with veg. in them also , great meal and all the Brit meat pies you want.

Edited by hogheaven

PPS . MR MOO will sell you frozen unbaked sausage rolls you can bake at home , ask them and they will take a few hrs to make ( 1/2 day to frezze) for you and then when you want a hot sausage roll you pop in the oven and have a fresh one at you home .

There sausage rolls are GREAT and like all do not frezze well , so get them un baked and you will really be happy when you get home and injoy.

You need to go to MR MOO across street from south Pattaya BIG C next to AAA INS. they have the best in town , small shop . All hand made stuff, pies, amercian and brit plus scott egg, dry cure bacon ,sausage and more .

The pies are 450 gm or 250 gm lots of meat , makes all the others look like @&% they give Bisto free to add more gravey as there is so much meat in the pies ......

Holiday sausage also , fruit sausage , hot Italian , American Jimmy Dean type Reg / Hot , sausage patties....take a look there and you will like it I am sure and for all the others that replyed .......you should try this small shop also quality is great and it is so clean inside shop you will be impressed.

good eating :D

PS : they have American pot pies with veg. in them also , great meal and all the Brit meat pies you want.

Like the sound of that one Mr hog. Will give it a try. :)

Sorry to have to differ about Mr. Moo's. I bought some sausages there, and they were terrible. The fat content was much too low and so eating them was like what I imagine eating cardboard would be like. I got both the jimmy dean type sausage patties and the hot Italian sausages. I was very disappointed.

That was several months ago--perhaps they've changed for the better, but I doubt it.

For the life of me I can't figure out some of the businesses in Pattaya--to open a sausage shop and not know how to make good sausages is beyond belief. The business is destined to fail if the owners don't get their head out of the sand.

My own opinion of course and I'd be interested to see if anyone else had the same experience.

Sorry to have to differ about Mr. Moo's. I bought some sausages there, and they were terrible. The fat content was much too low and so eating them was like what I imagine eating cardboard would be like. I got both the jimmy dean type sausage patties and the hot Italian sausages. I was very disappointed.

That was several months ago--perhaps they've changed for the better, but I doubt it.

For the life of me I can't figure out some of the businesses in Pattaya--to open a sausage shop and not know how to make good sausages is beyond belief. The business is destined to fail if the owners don't get their head out of the sand.

My own opinion of course and I'd be interested to see if anyone else had the same experience.

I am not sure why people want to eat Fat and filler but some have aquired a taste for it , The fat content should be 10 % or less for sausage , most in Pattaya sell 20% plus that is why they do not remember what it was like at home. No buss. at your home country would stay open selling some of the @$#* you get hear , all filler and Fat , try some local susage what amount of FAT do you think they have 30% - 50%.

It is like bacon full of salt water , if you want to buy water then ask for it but for me Dry cure Bacon is the best flavor and buy for the money, That is what MR MOO sells DRY CURE , they do not sell you water for 200 baht a KG .

I am sure if you asked and would buy a few KG they will make whatever amount of fat content you want but most do not ask .

The one thing that is easy to do is add filler or fat to meat to make more money , but i think you will like the pies they have chuncks of pork , steak, kidney, etc.

I belive you where looking for Pies correct! then try theres at MR MOO and compair and i do not think you will find a better PIE anywhere in town.

Please let us know what you think after you get some, where ever you go.

Edited by hogheaven

The bacon and meat pies at Mr. Moo may be good--I haven't tried them.

My comments about the sausages stand, however. They don't taste good--they are mealy. I have read on the internet that the fat content of sausages should be at least 20%, but I am no expert on making sausages. I do, however, know when something tastes bad to me because it has a dry mealy texture. I am not the only one who believes this--there have been other threads here at Thaivisa with people making similar comments.

I wish it weren't true. If Mr. Moo started making good sausages, I would be the first in line to buy them.

There used to be some good breakfast sausages at Friendship--they were called Zurich breakfast sausages if I recall correctly and may have been made in Rayong, but Friendship seems to have discontinued carrying them. Such a shame.

The bacon and meat pies at Mr. Moo may be good--I haven't tried them.

My comments about the sausages stand, however. They don't taste good--they are mealy. I have read on the internet that the fat content of sausages should be at least 20%, but I am no expert on making sausages. I do, however, know when something tastes bad to me because it has a dry mealy texture. I am not the only one who believes this--there have been other threads here at Thaivisa with people making similar comments.

I wish it weren't true. If Mr. Moo started making good sausages, I would be the first in line to buy them.

There used to be some good breakfast sausages at Friendship--they were called Zurich breakfast sausages if I recall correctly and may have been made in Rayong, but Friendship seems to have discontinued carrying them. Such a shame.

Well as i said if you want 20% then ask for it ?? fat is easy to add and costs nothing .........i think you may want a course er blend also ASK for it .......more pepper? ......more salt? ............the one thing i was impressed with at MR MOO is when i asked for something they did it for me ....I wanted to bake my own sausage rolls ( they gave me frozzen un baked ) .........I wanted thicker bacon ...i asked for it and got it .......i wanted longer sausages for a dinner i was haveing ....& ....i wanted fresh not frozzen and they told me what day to come when they made that sausage and i got it .........you need to ask for what you want and maybe you will get it .......if so many want more fat then they should tell them and i bet they you will get it...what you ask for ............ all people have diffrent tastes and a shop that can and will make what you want ( if you ask for it ) is a rare find in Thailand ......especialy in food........

I'm glad you have found some good products at Mr. Moo. I may try their bacon at some point.

The reason I don't ask for them to make me sausages specially is I don't want 2 kilos of sausages. I just want a few sausages once in a while--a retail amount. I don't really like to patronize establishments where I have to teach them how to make the thing they are selling (and presumably expert at)--it's just not worth it to me. As I said in my previous post, I'm not even sure it's the fat content that's the problem--that was just an educated guess.

If someone made some good hot italian sausages here in Pattaya, I would buy them. The same for nice breakfast and garlic sausages--I'd even be willing to try other types of sausage.

http://www.barebonzbutchershop.com/images/...ian_Sausage.jpg

Edited by Jimmyd

I'm glad you have found some good products at Mr. Moo. I may try their bacon at some point.

The reason I don't ask for them to make me sausages specially is I don't want 2 kilos of sausages. I just want a few sausages once in a while--a retail amount. I don't really like to patronize establishments where I have to teach them how to make the thing they are selling (and presumably expert at)--it's just not worth it to me. As I said in my previous post, I'm not even sure it's the fat content that's the problem--that was just an educated guess.

If someone made some good hot italian sausages here in Pattaya, I would buy them. The same for nice breakfast and garlic sausages--I'd even be willing to try other types of sausage.

http://www.barebonzbutchershop.com/images/...ian_Sausage.jpg

You really are set on the fact that your tastes are like all other peoples...........i like a lot of garlic ...i like hot.....i know otheres that eat what i cook and say it is to much......there is no one place that makes the best for all tastes ....i know that and to assume otherwise .... that is well being ?????,

I find i ask for a lot of things to get what i want .....the color of paint i want.....the type of extras i want in a car.....they are experts at what they do but not at what i want......are all houses the same ...are all sasuages the same ...is all beef the same....is all chicken the same....is all bread the same.....think about that....

I think if you wanted to get what you like you would ask .....and for having to buy KG you would not .....i did not have to get KG ............i asked and got the amount i wanted 1 KG for the party , 6 sausage rolls a week un baked , ...you really need to find out what you can get before you say you do not want it or even try to get it.....

If we all had the same tastes then all the food would come from one supplier......we are all diffrent and to say you want more fat content is OK just ask for it and you maybe suprised and get it......maybe you want it hoter ....more garlic....more spices.....you would be suprised what you will get when you ask.....( it will be what you want )

If all the makers of things could make just what people wanted do you think they would ?? YES ....why do you think there are so many diffrent things to choose from ??? because we all have diffrent tastes and to say somthing at a shop is not what you like and that means all things there are no good is short sighted and how can you know if you have not tried ????

The thread was about PIES .....i agree the talk went to other things like this one ....but to say you have not tried them and the other things i did try i did not like.... so all things are no good there ....is narrow minded..... a pie is not a sausage ...i think we can both agree on that ....correct ????

What is in a PIE is not the same as a sasuage correct?? ( or should not be ) well try a pie there then talk about it ......

ask for what you like and find out what you can get ....and how much you would buy or maybe as i am doing next .....they will make a hoter sasuage ( more red pepper) for me ( and fried garlic) and keep it there in the shop and i will buy what i need and use until it is gone from there shop and then they will make more for me , 3 KG at a time , that will last about 3 mo with what i get if i do not have a party before then.......i use in many diffrent meals so it will not spoil or feezzer burn by the time i buy it all........

you really need to get what you want and at least try ,,,,,what do you have to lose???? you say you can not find a good one ...( good hot italian sausages here in Pattaya) ,,,then ask them to try to make what you like??? it will not cost you anything to ask ....or will it ?????

Maybe you will be happy and get what you like and others will say that is to fatty .....but you will like it and be happy.....is that not what matters ( you are happy )

Maybe they will sell 2 types... less fat and more fat... what is wrong with that????

Edited by hogheaven

You really are set on the fact that your tastes are like all other peoples...........

No, I'm not. You have made that up from thin air.

I've said it before, but you don't seem to get it. I went into a shop selling sausages, and those sausages were not good in my opinion. I'm not interested in training a sausage maker how to make sausages--in fact I don't know how to make them. I know how to eat them well, and I know what tastes good to me, that is all.

I mentioned this because someone brought up the subject of Mr. Moo's sausages in this thread. It was not me. I gave my opinion, which differed from that of the person who recommended Mr. Moo's sausages--that is what discussion boards are for.

You really are set on the fact that your tastes are like all other peoples...........

I've said it before, but you don't seem to get it. I went into a shop selling sausages, and those sausages were not good in my opinion. I'm not interested in training a sausage maker how to make sausages--in fact I don't know how to make them. I know how to eat them well, and I know what tastes good to me, that is all.

I mentioned this because someone brought up the subject of Mr. Moo's sausages in this thread. It was not me. I gave my opinion, which differed from that of the person who recommended Mr. Moo's sausages--that is what discussion boards are for.

You are correct , you never said your tastes were like others. SORRY...

It does sound like you can not find anyone that make what you like though,,,maybe asking to have what you like will be a way to get it???

That is all i was saying .......

Your opinion is important to them i am sure if you let them know they may want to make you happy and others you talked about......

I know they have a lot of people that buy what they have now and like it .......maybe they can help others find what they like also??

You will never find what you like if you wait for it ,,,,in life or food .....i ask how i want my steak cooked ,,,,how i want my eggs cooked,,,,i how i want my toast ,,,i know if i ask i am happyer than getting what the cook likes .......that is all i am trying to say . Sorry again for infering something you did not say........

I know if i was making sasuage i would want to know what people thought and try to make them happy ......it is not teaching them to make it ,,,,,,,it is giving your opinion and asking for what you would like to have and pay for.

It does sound like you can not find anyone that make what you like though,,,maybe asking to have what you like will be a way to get it???

Your opinion is important to them i am sure if you let them know they may want to make you happy and others you talked about......

I know they have a lot of people that buy what they have now and like it .......maybe they can help others find what they like also??

You will never find what you like if you wait for it ,,,,in life or food .....i ask how i want my steak cooked ,,,,how i want my eggs cooked,,,,i how i want my toast ,,,i know if i ask i am happyer than getting what the cook likes .......that is all i am trying to say . Sorry again for infering something you did not say........

I know if i was making sasuage i would want to know what people thought and try to make them happy ......it is not teaching them to make it ,,,,,,,it is giving your opinion and asking for what you would like to have and pay for.

I have just been to Mr Moos shop next to AA insurance opposite Big C,The pies and the English back bacon was the best i have tasted in Pattaya highly recommend the sausage rolls too.There is an American guy there who knows his product.Will be back there next week.

I actually would be willing to give my opinion to help if it would improve a product from a business in Thailand. In my experience, however, it is difficult to achieve success doing this. The owners get defensive, or believe you are trying to attack them rather than help.

I originally posted that I thought the fat content was too low in Mr. Moo's sausages. I didn't post that randomly. As I really love Italian sausages, I did research on the net. In my research from what appeared to be expert sausage makers on the net, a common theme was that fat content should be 20% or more, usually 25-30% or the sausages come out mealy. I jumped to the conclusion that Mr. Moo's sausages might not have a high enough fat content, as I though they were dry and mealy.

I still don't know if that is the problem, but I am quite sure that the sausages from Mr Moo are not are not as good as sausages I have had from other companies, both abroad and here in Thailand. Because I am not sure what the problem is, it is difficult to give my opinion. Should I go to the them and say "I read on the internet that low-fat content sausages are mealy, and your sausages are mealy, therefore you should increase the fat content of your sausages." Perhaps. But I'd rather give my custom to a retailer who told *me* why their product tastes so good, not one who asks me to help them improve their product.

Edited by Jimmyd

I actually would be willing to give my opinion to help if it would improve a product from a business in Thailand. In my experience, however, it is difficult to achieve success doing this. The owners get defensive, or believe you are trying to attack them rather than help.

I originally posted that I thought the fat content was too low in Mr. Moo's sausages. I didn't post that randomly. As I really love Italian sausages, I did research on the net. In my research from what appeared to be expert sausage makers on the net, a common theme was that fat content should be 20% or more, usually 25-30% or the sausages come out mealy. I jumped to the conclusion that Mr. Moo's sausages might not have a high enough fat content, as I though they were dry and mealy.

I still don't know if that is the problem, but I am quite sure that the sausages from Mr Moo are not are not as good as sausages I have had from other companies, both abroad and here in Thailand. Because I am not sure what the problem is, it is difficult to give my opinion. Should I go to the them and say "I read on the internet that low-fat content sausages are mealy, and your sausages are mealy, therefore you should increase the fat content of your sausages." Perhaps. But I'd rather give my custom to a retailer who told *me* why their product tastes so good, not one who asks me to help them improve their product.

Always the past not now and always excusses not action ...........if you want 20-30% fat ask for it .........you maybe suprised and get what you want .................

i will tell you this i like there stuff and you do not so who is correct ??? both are....you just are to shy to ask .....i am not

I relize that all people a diffrent and so are there tastes and you will never please all .......so keep looking and being disapointed and do not ask .......you seam happy not having what you like ......i ask and i am happy......oh ya there not my sasuages ........i ask and get them there.