Domestic Violence in a neighbour's condo unit

In our condo we have a couple which continuously has arguments and (physical violence) which results in screaming that is disturbing the neighbours. (The husband hits the wife). He also locks her out on the balcony and she throws garbage to the floor(s) below.

We have reported the incident to the police, but there appear to be few remedies under Thai law that can protect the wife, unless she makes a complaint to the police, which she is unwilling to do.

Has anyone else experienced this in their condo, and have they found a LEGAL and workable solution? (They own their unit.) 

2 minutes ago, samtam said:

In our condo we have a couple which continuously has arguments and (physical violence) which results in screaming that is disturbing the neighbours. (The husband hits the wife). He also locks her out on the balcony and she throws garbage to the floor(s) below.

We have reported the incident to the police, but there appear to be few remedies under Thai law that can protect the wife, unless she makes a complaint to the police, which she is unwilling to do.

Has anyone else experienced this in their condo, and have they found a LEGAL and workable solution? (They own their unit.) 

Complain to the management!

I did go and talk to the neigbour because of noise, not violence, and I did not hear anything after that! But now everyone can do that with success, so management is the solution! Is it Thai Thai or Thai foreigner? Thai Thai I maybe would not get involved in! All dependes on the neighbourhood

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Complain to the management!

I did go and talk to the neigbour because of noise, not violence, and I did not hear anything after that! But now everyone can do that with success, so management is the solution! Is it Thai Thai or Thai foreigner? Thai Thai I maybe would not get involved in! All dependes on the neighbourhood

Good luck with that.

I know one farang who just moved out of our building, after living there for more than 10 years.

He had such a Neighbour. Lot of noise and violence.

He complained to the management. It seems they told him something like: Tell us exactly when what happened and give us some prove (audio and video recording). He was not able to give them any prove, and it seems that was for the management a reason not to do anything. So, he moved out.

One challenge seems to be recording such events. It seems it is not allowed to have cameras in the common areas which record everything. So how would he be able to have a prove? Should he walk fast out of the room with his phone and record what is happening? Should he go near to the room of the neighbor to record that the noise comes from there?

It seems such situations are not that easy to solve. And it seems the management doesn't really have to do much - if they don't want to.

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good luck with that.

I know one farang who just moved out of our building, after living there for more than 10 years.

He had such a Neighbour. Lot of noise and violence.

He complained to the management. It seems they told him something like: Tell us exactly when what happened and give us some prove (audio and video recording). He was not able to give them any prove, and it seems that was for the management a reason not to do anything. So, he moved out.

One challenge seems to be recording such events. It seems it is not allowed to have cameras in the common areas which record everything. So how would he be able to have a prove? Should he walk fast out of the room with his phone and record what is happening? Should he go near to the room of the neighbor to record that the noise comes from there?

It seems such situations are not that easy to solve. And it seems the management doesn't really have to do much - if they don't want to.

if there is no solution, better to move out, agree, 

Another reason to choose carefully where you buy a condo. 

2 hours ago, samtam said:

have they found a LEGAL and workable solution?

It seems in Thailand lots of police officers have second jobs like working for loan sharks or something like that.

I wonder if it would be possible to hire two or more of those officers to knock on the door of the neighbor and ask him to be quiet.

Would that be illegal? Would it be possible to hire them for such a job? I don't know.

I know some Thai people who are involved in the underground lottery - which is of course illegal. And I would think that maybe they know some influential person who provides a service to tell the neighbors to behave.

I guess as long as they don't use any force that would be legal. Or not?

What do you think?

DV can be a slow escalation of violence.  Starts with yelling, progresses to more and more physical violence especially if there is not intervention.

I would at least call the police and tell them there is a disturbance going on at that apartment and try to get them out there.  At least that gets them in the loop of what is going on.  Very sad situation that can end terribly.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

DV can be a slow escalation of violence.  Starts with yelling, progresses to more and more physical violence especially if there is not intervention.

I would at least call the police and tell them there is a disturbance going on at that apartment and try to get them out there.  At least that gets them in the loop of what is going on.  Very sad situation that can end terribly.

I wonder if the police would react.

I guess if a person gets hit by another person, then the victim can call the police and the police would probably come.

But if an outsider sees or hears that, would the police come if the victim doesn't complain?

And then it seems it is not unusual in those situations, that if the police would show up, maybe 30 min later, and ask what is going on, then maybe the victim would say something like: we just played, nothing serious, nothing to see here. And then? Probably nothing.