Thanksgiving Dinner Anywhere?

Catcandoo oposite the Seatran pier in Bangrak. Jays special thanksgiving buffet dinner 420 baht all you can eat. Had it last year and it is a corker :) He also has Thai food as well as turkey and all the trimmings for the Thai partners. Live music as well. its where I will be this Thursday :D

mmmmmmm Roast turkey dinner.Ive already booked mine at the Samui Shamrock in Lamai.390bt with dessert,from 7pm.San Miguel beer promotion and live music later.I hear theyve quite a few bookings so i would book ahead if you want table seating but im sure if you dont mind sitting at the bar it wont be a problem to just turn up.Enjoy!

Catcandoo oposite the Seatran pier in Bangrak. Jays special thanksgiving buffet dinner 420 baht all you can eat. Had it last year and it is a corker :) He also has Thai food as well as turkey and all the trimmings for the Thai partners.

I don't think a restaurant should also serve Thai food during a Thanksgiving meal. It would be like celebrating Christmas with the optional Buddhist chanting and idol worship. If a Thai person is so locked in to having his or her own kind of food every meal (including an annual, foreign traditional one), then leave that person at home. It's one traditional meal, one time a year.

A glob of greasy pad thai doesn't go with Thanksgiving fare in a culinary sense or esthetically.

Catcandoo oposite the Seatran pier in Bangrak. Jays special thanksgiving buffet dinner 420 baht all you can eat. Had it last year and it is a corker :) He also has Thai food as well as turkey and all the trimmings for the Thai partners.

I don't think a restaurant should also serve Thai food during a Thanksgiving meal. It would be like celebrating Christmas with the optional Buddhist chanting and idol worship. If a Thai person is so locked in to having his or her own kind of food every meal (including an annual, foreign traditional one), then leave that person at home. It's one traditional meal, one time a year.

A glob of greasy pad thai doesn't go with Thanksgiving fare in a culinary sense or esthetically.

What i really loathe is people turning up to live ln foreign countries and inflighting their ways on others. This is NOT your country my friend and be thankful you can celebrate YOUR thanksgiving here and don't try to tell a Thai whether of not they can eat their food in their country. Believe it or nt, the world does'nt necessarily like your ways,or indeed your culinary tastes.

Live and let live, thats my motto :)

How should people understand your way of presenting your request other than subliminal whining about your misfortune to be here?

In the spirit of Thanksgiving I don't think there's anything wrong with having Thai food included on the menu for Thais if that's what they prefer. Hopefully they'll at least try some of the traditional stuff but if not, no biggie. I don't think the idea of Thanksgiving is to force others to eat something they don't like (unless you're 4 yrs old and don't like your veggies like I didn't).

Foods That Were Not Served at the First Thanksgiving

* Turkey - Turkey was often eaten by both the Wampanoag and the Pilgrims but is not specifically mentioned in Winslows’ letter. The account mentions “wild fowl” only and could have referred to duck or geese instead of wild turkey.

* Popcorn - There was no popcorn, corn was prevalent but was not popped.

* Cranberry Sauce - Fifty years after 1621 there is mention of a cranberry sauce for use with meat in English recipes. Prior to this time sugar, a necessary ingredient in cranberry sauce was an incredibly expensive import. Both the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag would add whole cranberries as an ingredient to add tartness, however cranberry sauce itself would not appear until the 1670’s.

* Potatoes - White potatoes were virtually unknown in England at the time of the Thanksgiving feast, they were only raised by specialized botanists at the time and were not a part of the English diet. Sweet potatoes were, in the early 1600’s, imported into England from Spain and were used only by the ultra wealthy for their purported aphrodisiac properties.

* Pumpkin Pie - There were no readily available ingredients for the crust of a pumpkin pie at the time. Pumpkin and squash were included in the feast but served as vegetables only. After 1621, pumpkin dessert recipes included pumpkin pieces sliced similar to apples only.

* Apples - Apples were not present in 1621 in Plymouth.

Foods Included in the Original Thanksgiving Feast

In addition to the wild fowl, pumpkin and squash mentioned above, the following foods were certainly abundant and most likely were included in the “harvest” celebration:

* Fish

* Lobsters

* Eel

* Mussels

* Oysters

* Corn

* Parsnips

* Collards

* Turnips

* Spinach

* Onions

* Dried Beans

* Dried Blueberries

* Grapes

* Nuts

1621 Thanksgiving Meal Details

* The celebration lasted for three days, not one, and consisted of intermittent feasting and entertainment (games and shooting of muskets).

* It was most likely held in October, not November.

* There is no evidence that the Indians (Wampanoag) were explicitly invited.

* It was not called “Thanksgiving”. It was a “harvest festival”.

* It did not become an annual event.

“by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty.” - Edward Winslow – December, 11, 1621

Ads by Google

Read more: http://americanhistory.suite101.com/articl...y#ixzz0XrOXKZFt

The OP Koheesti asked:

Then we were told about the place in Bangrak and Lamai which are at least on the island.

Then we were told about Bourbon Street - which is where I'd probably go. BUT IT's in BANGKOK!

Then we were given a history lesson.

Then we were again reminded that Canadians do it on a different day.

Does this mean that on the entire island of Samui there are 2 places that serve American Thanksgiving today? If anyone has any additional information without going too far OT, please post the information.

Thanks

What i really loathe is people turning up to live ln foreign countries and inflighting their ways on others. This is NOT your country my friend and be thankful you can celebrate YOUR thanksgiving here and don't try to tell a Thai whether of not they can eat their food in their country. Believe it or nt, the world does'nt necessarily like your ways,or indeed your culinary tastes.

Thanks for the anti-American rant. It'ss all too predictable that an inquiry about a Thanksgiving dinner would provoke the hatred of people such as yourself.

Thanks for the anti-American rant. It'ss all too predictable that an inquiry about a Thanksgiving dinner would provoke the hatred of people such as yourself.

If you actually took the time to read what i said you can clearly see that it is not anti American, it's anti foreigners coming here and stating that Thai people should'nt be eating Thai food at this occasion, so don't try the old xenohobia card it's outdated

I trust you enjoyed your Thanksgiving meal, i certainly enjoyed mine.

If you actually took the time to read what i said you can clearly see that it is not anti American, it's anti foreigners coming here and stating that Thai people should'nt be eating Thai food at this occasion, so don't try the old xenohobia card it's outdated

In the context of the thread what you wrote could certainly seen as anti-American. Were you talking about all foreigners or just Americans when you wrote; " the world does'nt necessarily like your ways,or indeed your culinary tastes."? Not that I really care all that much. Some of my best friends are anti-American (seriously). It's more fun than having people kiss your butt all the time. :)

In the context of the thread what you wrote could certainly seen as anti-American. Were you talking about all foreigners or just Americans when you wrote; " the world does'nt necessarily like your ways,or indeed your culinary tastes."? Not that I really care all that much. Some of my best friends are anti-American (seriously). It's more fun than having people kiss your butt all the time. :)

"Your" meant the person and no reference to nationality. :D