Brembo Big Discbrake

db1tau

http://img262.imageshack.us/g/img0988q.jpg/

I had a local shop install a brembo caliper on the front disc brake.

I noticed that the disc area is only used by about 2/3rd (look at the color in the pictures) and there is still a space of about 5-7mm inside the caliper.

Several mechanics told me it has to be like this and noone could do it better.

Is that really true? Does anyone else have a big disc brake and it looks like this?

Marco.

I've been told that most of that Brembo scooter stuff is fake. And considering the prices I've seen I'm inclined to believe it's not authentic. HAve you checked the Brembo website to see if they even make brakes for your scooter?

http://www.brembo.com/ENG

Good luck!

chinese. they dont even try to copy brembo, just use their name/logo/color. also make "brembo" plastic covers for nissincalipers for cars

Yammy elegance Iv compared braking distance with just one chinese brembo, and the original tiny nissin braked more efficient.

Edited by katabeachbum

Well it's for the Honda Wave, actually I don't care if these are original parts or copies (but I ordered and paid for original) as long as they work fine.

I will look around for other bikes with big discbrakes and take a closer look. Still seems strange for me that only about 60% of the rotor is utilized.

fake or not i think you will find that you have got the wrong bracket on there and thats why the pads are not on the disk correctly..... or the wrong size disk...... one or the other mate............ by the way a GENUINE brembo caliper looking like the one you have there is around the 3000 baht price and on the underside it will have brembo in the cast in small letters. hth.

It was around 4700 THB for caliper, steelflex hose and the new shocks on the fork.

With copied parts they quoted 2000 THB so the caliper alone was around 3000 THB (but that doesn't make sure that its genuine).

The rotor isn't from brembo I guess, it was only 500 THB and was on the bike before.

Thanks for taking closeup pictures for me, it's not so easy to find bikes with big discs on the street.

I would be happy if some mechanic just told me "buy original parts and everything will be fine" but they insist that this is already the best quality I can get in thailand.

I would be happy if some mechanic just told me "buy original parts and everything will be fine" but they insist that this is already the best quality I can get in thailand.

I think you have answered your own question there, db. :D

When have you last seen safety standards in Thailand :)

Safe riding

Dave

I agree with Vinylman.

Its the wrong disc/ bracket arrangement. the fact that your brakes are on the outer of the brake disc is pretty dangerous. There should always be a ever so slight gap at the top of the disc. So It shows that the pads are set to far out. so either the disc rotor is wrong for this set up (to small) or the bracket is wrong. I would get it sorted ASAP.

It was around 4700 THB for caliper, steelflex hose and the new shocks on the fork.

Sorry, I dunno what the others are going to say here but you don't get a Brembo Caliper, new (springs inside the shocks??) or was it entire new forks? and the braided steel line for 4700 THB.

By the way, I believe and I could be wrong & wouldnt know unless I could examine them in person, but I have previously used that exact type of steel braided line & it worked really well....ur probably going to pay no less than about 1500 baht for a length of the stuff im thinking just on the front end, so once you deduct that and then some amount for (springs?) in the front shocks, u'd be lucky to have enuf left for a copy Brembo.

Db1tau,

Agreed though that your "mechanic" shouldn't have installed it like that. Purely visual perspective it looks like your set up was designed for a slightly bigger disc or you have the wrong bracket.

Don't know how big yours is but obviously if you measure to the outside edge of the disc pads and add it (twice) to the diameter of your existing out will come out with the correct number. Regardless of the source of your components it would be pointless to manufacture them wrongly. Word would get out and no one would buy them.

Biggest disc I found so far by surfing is a 300mm disc, doesn't mean there isn't bigger if that is what you need.

Best way to find all this stuff is to buy all and any Thai Motocy magazines you see and check out all the adverts.

Or Look here they have contact details. Send them your picture? They sell your forks

Edited by VocalNeal

There we go i have managed to get a photo on my setup so you can see the difference ........................ looking at the 2 set ups, it looks like you have got the wrong mounting bracket on your forks............... i may b wrong but thats what i would check first

vm

post-74182-1258964360_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheVinylMan

many thanks @vocalneal

My rotor seems to have 300mm (although its not easy to measure it while built in).

So I guess the bracket is wrong or bad quality. They have got this part in the online shop:

http://www.siriracing.com/catalog/product/...2_e.php?id=1352

It looks slightly different than mine... but I don't know if its for the seven speed fork.

Also many thanks to thevinylman, you seem to have got the part that also can be found in the online shop.

Maybe that's the only problem. I will print out the picture and try to buy it, I can install it by myself.

many thanks @vocalneal

My rotor seems to have 300mm (although its not easy to measure it while built in).

So I guess the bracket is wrong or bad quality. They have got this part in the online shop:

It looks slightly different than mine... but I don't know if its for the seven speed fork.

Also many thanks to thevinylman, you seem to have got the part that also can be found in the online shop.

Maybe that's the only problem. I will print out the picture and try to buy it, I can install it by myself.

OK then all you need is to find one of those and you are done. Try every shop in Chiang Mai. If not order one from Siri racing. If you look at contact info they are happy to do business in English.

Edited by VocalNeal

many thanks @vocalneal

no probs mate............. just shown your setup to the guy who is doing some more bits to my bike and he choked on his drink laughing and just said thats bullshit what you have been told that its normal.......... he also said if your braided piping is cheap copy get rid coz the fake stuff blows and will end in brake failure.......... go back to the original pipe work mate........... its perfectly adequate for a small bike.

many thanks @vocalneal

no probs mate............. just shown your setup to the guy who is doing some more bits to my bike and he choked on his drink laughing and just said thats bullshit what you have been told that its normal.......... he also said if your braided piping is cheap copy get rid coz the fake stuff blows and will end in brake failure.......... go back to the original pipe work mate........... its perfectly adequate for a small bike.

I had std. sized disc and the wife still managed to lock up the front wheel and fall off coming back from the market!!

Thanks netfan.

But that's not a honda wave, so you have got a completely different fork and a 4 pot caliper.

I was at the shop yesterday and they really had the right bracket, but when I came home I saw that it's for a left side discbrake.

So i tried to change it but they had about 10 pieces for the left side but none for the right side (who uses a left side discbrake on a wave?)

So i still can't find the bracket till now.

But "left" one seemed to have exactly the same size like my "copy" bracket, so I'm not sure if it will make anything better at all.

Thanks netfan.

But that's not a honda wave, so you have got a completely different fork and a 4 pot caliper.

I was at the shop yesterday and they really had the right bracket, but when I came home I saw that it's for a left side discbrake.

So i tried to change it but they had about 10 pieces for the left side but none for the right side (who uses a left side discbrake on a wave?)

So i still can't find the bracket till now.

But "left" one seemed to have exactly the same size like my "copy" bracket, so I'm not sure if it will make anything better at all.

Keep trying or call Siri. Maybe you should not use that shop again?

I had std. sized disc and the wife still managed to lock up the front wheel and fall off coming back from the market!!

Why do you think changing disc size will prevent your missus from locking up the brakes? Are you trying to get her killed by replacing the standard brakes with fake chinese crap? Odd...

Why do you think changing disc size will prevent your missus from locking up the brakes? Are you trying to get her killed by replacing the standard brakes with fake chinese crap? Odd...

This guys got it right. The problem was not with your old brakes. It is with your girl driving. Teach her how to use the brakes properly. Maybe try using the rear brakes also......

Tim

^mechanical failure due to poor maintainence maybe, but generally outright mechanical falure plays only a very small part in MVA's.

True, but in this particular case the OP has greatly increased the chances of brake failure with his half-ass mods... :)

It's quittin' time! :D

Have a GREAT weekend one and all! :D

Ride On! :D

Tony

^I would tend to agree with that tony, lets face it the brakes are about the most important part of the motorcycle, them and the tyres, after that just about everything else is secondary.

I bet theres more than one motorcycle running around thailand with dangerous brake modifications.